Campfire Member
M
Paradise on earth IMHO. LOVE the yoop.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by KFWA
I love the UP. Once of the spots we're considering retiring to. Just south east of Sault Saint Marie is an area we like

Yeah buddy!

That's what I'm working towards!,....to move up north and live my golden years among rude ass yankees while freezing my ass off.

Just knock me in the head.

People are kinda scarce where I"m looking at.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I love the UP. Once of the spots we're considering retiring to. Just south east of Sault Saint Marie is an area we like

Yeah buddy!

That's what I'm working towards!,....to move up north and live my golden years among rude ass yankees while freezing my ass off.

UP is more like living around hillbilly folk.The FINNS are good people no chit.Below the big mack bridge things change.

Last edited by coobie; 04/14/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've been all over the world - nothing really compares to the UP for me. Love it.

Absolutely world class walleye and small mouth fishing. Good grouse, small game, trapping and where I am - deer. As in I see double digit deer every day I am out. Usually in rifle season I'm tagged out by day 3 after having passed up 3-5 bucks. BUT I hunt banana belt.

People in and from the Yoop sure aren't the same as MI folks from the LP and they definitely aren't like those in WI. The UP has a very....."libertarian" feel for me. So long as you're not really hurting anyone - folks stay out of your business. There's only 2 things that will really raise an eye brow - asking to borrow a deer rifle or a chainsaw. You're expected to have your own.

Other than that - it's paradise on earth. Waterfalls, large timber, fishing, swimming, kayaking, boating, SxS adventure, snowmobiling etc.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you're looking to move - buy my Uncle's place.

Life on the Lake

Me

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Teal

Life on the Lake

Beautiful! I love it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
Years ago this guy named Nick Adams liked it, especially the fishing.

The Big Two Hearted River really isn't a good trout stream. Too tannic, or so the locals told me.. Hemingway admitted to his son he just liked the name.

Fishing is very good. Northern, walleye, trout in many streams, and perch and panfish in the smaller lakes.

The descriptions of the UP given here are pretty much as I remember it. I spent 2 weeks up near Newberry every summer as a kid. Deer hunting never has been as good as in the LP. Not as much farm land, more timber. I can't comment on wolves. Back in the day we didn't have them except on Isle Royale.

Winters are tough! They get lake effect snow worse than Buffalo. Nobody talks about it because most sane people get out after Halloween.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Yeah buddy!

Come up here with with that attitude and yeah you'll be treated accordingly. Otherwise people are mostly friendly, willing to help.

Have talked to tourists asking about bears and wolves and how safe it is, tell them it's not the bears and wolves you need to worry about. In May/June the bugs can drive you insane in the woods. keeps the soft people away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RAS
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My cabin in the south central UP.

Oddly enough, the color of the sky in that photo reminds me of Michigan. That is just a distinct blue I associate with that state,

(Then there is the grey sky that seems to be 6 out of 7 days all winter, but that's a different story!)

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by woods_walker

Life on the Lake

Beautiful! I love it!

Notice how cheap the taxes are on it? Relatively?

Me

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by louiethedrifter
Years ago this guy named Nick Adams liked it, especially the fishing.

The Big Two Hearted River really isn't a good trout stream. Too tannic, or so the locals told me.. Hemingway admitted to his son he just liked the name.

Fishing is very good. Northern, walleye, trout in many streams, and perch and panfish in the smaller lakes.

The descriptions of the UP given here are pretty much as I remember it. I spent 2 weeks up near Newberry every summer as a kid. Deer hunting never has been as good as in the LP. Not as much farm land, more timber. I can't comment on wolves. Back in the day we didn't have them except on Isle Royale.

Winters are tough! They get lake effect snow worse than Buffalo. Nobody talks about it because most sane people get out after Halloween.

Hemingway actually fished the Fox out of Seney - better fishing. Two Hearted is east of there and not as good, but as you say, the name has a "ring" to it. There are a number of good trout streams up there.

This time of the year the smelt should be running. I remember my dad and his buddies dipping nets and filling up the back of a pick-up with em. Took all night to clean them too. Everyone in the neighborhood had gallons of fresh smelt to eat and freeze that next day. Good times.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot

Hemingway actually fished the Fox out of Seney - better fishing. Two Hearted is east of there and not as good, but as you say, the name has a "ring" to it. There are a number of good trout streams up there.

This time of the year the smelt should be running. I remember my dad and his buddies dipping nets and filling up the back of a pick-up with em. Took all night to clean them too. Everyone in the neighborhood had gallons of fresh smelt to eat and freeze that next day. Good times.

\

Smelt! I forgot about them. Fry 'em up and that is some good finger food.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The charm of the UP is all about lots of room and very few people. At 16,377 Square miles, the UP would be the tenth largest state, smaller than West Virginia, and larger than Maryland and 8 others. The three largest cities are Marquette at 20,000, Escanaba at 13,000, and Sault Sainte Marie at 12,000.
The rest of the UP has small towns and villages, 200 to 2500 people, spaced about 40 to 80 miles apart. You need to be self reliant and travel on the upper half of your fuel tank. The rest of the UP is forests and lakes.
For those thinking of moving here, first check out the winters that usually last from mid November to mid April, and the snow depth gets azzhole deep to an elephant, a BIG elephant.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My oldest son lives in the UP, just signed a purchase agreement on a nice piece of property and a house south of the Sault Ste Marie area.

Yoopers are hearty people, they hate the governor and think of themselves as a independent state. They like the packers and will tell you so.

If you like to freshwater fish, the eastern UP is heaven. I grew up in Northern Mi and never knew how good the superior and St Mary's waterway is. I have caught just about every freshwater fish in MI just 40 minutes from his house.

UP has big deer if you move around and find the pockets. I bear hunted on a do it yourself hunt. I had two bear's show up during shooting hours. On camera, bears over 350# on a regular basis.

Our very first grandchild was born on the full blood moon and the coldest night of the year in 2019. She hates a coat even when its cold out.

I hunted in western UP for bear also. I was very impressed with the pretty blond ladies. I expected to see a bunch of toothless hags but I was wrong. the Flemish blood is strong west of Marquette.

I would retire up there in a heartbeat, but the wife says no. I would just go to Florida for a 3-4 months each winter and enjoy the other three seasons.

Wolves are a problem but the locals have ways to deal with them.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It helps if you have a hair lip. You can run for mayor then.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
A unique place.

The first time I saw icebergs was on the lake between Escanaba and Manistique. It was June 10.

Once I was trying to see how fast the company car would go. I was going 105 when a cop stopped me. He asked me what I did for a living. I told him I was a salesman. He let me go, saying, “Oh. Salesmen are pretty good drivers.”

We used to say weather forecasting was easy. Just stand by the guard shack across the river from the Escanaba Paper Mill. If you can’t see the mill, it’s snowing. If you can see it, it’s gonna snow.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Life on the Lake

That is gorgeous!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Deer hunted the east end for 38 yrs. Quit going there 7 yrs, ago. Second to last year didn't see a single deer and the last year i couldn't find a track in snow. Wolves are not our friends.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It's still a great place. Biggest problem is citidiots that want to come there to retire but want to bring the city with them. You know, I'M here now so thing need to change.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Life on the Lake
Just sent the realtor email.Thanks..

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,369 guests, and 697 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.