24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I have never performed a ladder test. Research I found talks about shooting at 300 yards and recording chrony readings and marking each shot. My question is what difference does the distance make if your 1st node is based off of the flat speed readings? Thanks, Mark

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mmanincor
I have never performed a ladder test. Research I found talks about shooting at 300 yards and recording chrony readings and marking each shot. My question is what difference does the distance make if your 1st node is based off of the flat speed readings? Thanks, Mark

Lower velocities maybe. I’ve done a total of 4 ladder tests and they were all at 100 yards. I used muzzle velocity as I have a Magnetospeed. In all but one of my ladder tests, I got a low and a high node. The velocity difference was over a 100 FPS on those as well. Only one though was at or near max load according to the Nosler manual.

Last edited by Hudge; 04/14/21.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Hudge

Lower velocities maybe. I’ve done a total of 4 ladder tests and they were all at 100 yards. I used muzzle velocity as I have a Magnetospeed. In all but one of my ladder tests, I got a low and a high node. The velocity difference was over a 100 FPS on those as well. Only one though was at or near max load according to the Nosler manual.

Could not have said it any better. The only reason why some folks say use 200 or 300 yards is the difference in drop at those distances are more noticeable. So, for example, w/o a Chronograph you would look for the two rounds that were the closest together and somewhere in between those two would be an accuracy node. Like @Hudge stated, I typically find two nodes that are accurate.

With my chronograph, I will load from min to max; keep the same POA for each shot; and watch as each hits just a little higher. The one difference I have noticed is with each shot the speed keeps going up and at some point one will shoot just a hair slower than the previous or the difference is very small (like a few feet per second). Those shots will also group closer. I will poke and prod around that charge a bit using 3 to 5 round lots. Anyway that how it has worked for me. YMMV

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I know that some folks put a lot of faith in ladder tests, but in reality most are seriously flawed. One or two shots at each charge means nothing statistically, but I guess if it makes you feel good then go for it. 300 yard ladder groups have more to do with extreme velocity spread than anything else. Just be advised that ladder test results may not be what you think they are.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you all. I appreciate the info. I don't have palns do such testing as I don't a chronograph. I was more curious what the distance played into it when the chrony is so close. Thanks, Mark

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I do a close variation on the Satterlee Ladder test, which are of little utility when preformed at ranges under 400yards.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Basically, you're looking for the broadest range of any variable (powder charge, seating depth, etc.), which lands bullets in the same spot. This can be done with and without a chrono. I color coat bullets with Sharpies to help keep track of impacts on a single target. I use white blueprint paper for targets. The applied sharpie color is left on the paper when each bullet passes through.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Tag

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I like that sharpie idea.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Same here. When I find my velocity node, I load 3-5 more of each charge and may split the difference. I then shoot for groups with those 3-5 shots, 5 shots usually. The one that gives me the best group is what I then load. You can play with seating depth and adjust accordingly.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

+1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

.... When I find my velocity node, I load 3-5 more of each charge and may split the difference. I then shoot for groups with those 3-5 shots, 5 shots usually. The one that gives me the best group is what I then load. You can play with seating depth and adjust accordingly.

+1 A lot of great advise for the OP on this one

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Kingston got it right, velocity has nothing to do with a ladder test.
Nothing shorter than 300 and 500 is better.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by sherm_61

David Tubb says he does his ladder testing at 200 yards. That's the distance I prefer as well. Beyond that and you have more variables that inadvertently effect the testing.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by kingston
Basically, you're looking for the broadest range of any variable (powder charge, seating depth, etc.), which lands bullets in the same spot. This can be done with and without a chrono. I color coat bullets with Sharpies to help keep track of impacts on a single target. I use white blueprint paper for targets. The applied sharpie color is left on the paper when each bullet passes through.

You should show pics of the colored bullet holes. All of my bullets leave black holes. This is caused by the bullet burning the edge of the hole in the paper.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by sherm_61

David Tubb says he does his ladder testing at 200 yards. That's the distance I prefer as well. Beyond that and you have more variables that inadvertently effect the testing.

There variables in anything your shooting no matter what distance. I know Record holder1000 BR
Shooters who shoot ladders at 1,000 yards.
Not taking anything away from David Tubb his accomplishments speak for themselves.

Last edited by sherm_61; 04/16/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

In all but one of my ladder tests, I got a low and a high node.

Here's why. This may also explain why it's not a function of bullet speed, but barrel harmonics.

I still like Dan Newberry's Optimum Charge Weight (OCW) method better than a ladder.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by kingston

You should show pics of the colored bullet holes. All of my bullets leave black holes. This is caused by the bullet burning the edge of the hole in the paper.

The color shows fine. I've used that method in the past. I prefer the OCW method over a ladder test though.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
471 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 45 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.