Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Wrangler13
Anyone have pictures of these stocks?

404J I built using a M-70 NH .300 RUM donor, sits in a Legend. D'Arcy said std fill would work, but he did do cross pins. McM would have insisted on mag fill. Std fill worked. Stock was pillared and I did Steel Bed it.

Williams bottom metal dropped in, perfect fit, Echols inletting.

For me, D'Arcy doing the inletting would be a big plus, not knowing what's going on at McM., or until things shake out a bit over there

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
i spoke with d'arcy 2 weeks ago.he was one shy of his order for 10.this was on a friday night.well was going to call him on monday and place my order to make 10.long story short,ended up in hospital and had spleen removed and further testing.sent him a email to explain the delay.maybe one of you gentleman can call him and see if you can take my place.im on hold for awhile.hope this helps someone.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a Legend stock for my Mod 70Win custom 375H&H. D’Arcy did the two cross bolts and a friend doing the work used one of Duane’s bottom metals. Was converted Classic 270. Barrel profiled same as my 1913 H&H magazine takedown 375 H&H Belted Mag. Weighs 8lbs10oz with Leupold 1.5-5x and Talley Steel QD mounts.

I did have my friend shorted and slim the forend. Lovely rifle.

Dirtfarmer, great rifle. I wish Winchester had bought out the RUM Mod 70’s to Australia.

Last edited by rockdoc; 04/03/21.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Called him two days ago. He has about 15 now. Email him your order in the next few days if you want to get in.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rockdoc
I bought a Legend stock for my Mod 70Win custom 375H&H. D’Arcy did the two cross bolts and a friend doing the work used one of Duane’s bottom metals. Was converted Classic 270. Barrel profiled same as my 1913 H&H magazine takedown 375 H&H Belted Mag. Weighs 8lbs10oz with Leupold 1.5-5x and Talley Steel QD mounts.

I did have my friend shorted and slim the forend. Lovely rifle.

Dirtfarmer, great rifle. I wish Winchester had bought out the RUM Mod 70’s to Australia.

Thanks, it did turn out pretty nice.

I traded it after shoulder surgery, hopefully it'll get to Africa or somewhere it will shine.

After the .404J build, I think if I was going to build another big gun it would be .416 Rem. One could use a regular full length 3.6" magnum action without any modifications. The .416 Rem seems to be gaining popularity in Africa from what I've heard and read.

The SS .416 Ruger seems popular in Alaska. I think it's the whole package that led to its popularity, a package that works for that climate.

A good bud hunted buff in Zim, used his .416 Rigby, Ruger Safari Magnum. His PH carried a well used, push feed M-70 in .416 Rem. He liked the big RSM, but said it was too heavy. The .416 Rem will do all one needs to do in that bore size and do it in a lighter, less expensive package. What's not to like.

DF

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Do you guys like that wide open grip? I've gotten used to more vertical, and not sure I could go back.

B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Do you guys like that wide open grip? I've gotten used to more vertical, and not sure I could go back.

It’s for sure my favorite stock. If they weren’t heavier than I like in some builds it’d be about all I use. They’re nice from probe and good at other positions. But we’re all different.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Good to know. They have a clean classic look to them.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Good to know. They have a clean classic look to them.

They were patterned by one of the top stock makers in the world. It shows. :-)

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

404J I built using a M-70 NH .300 RUM donor, sits in a Legend. D'Arcy said std fill would work, but he did do cross pins. McM would have insisted on mag fill. Std fill worked. Stock was pillared and I did Steel Bed it.

For me, D'Arcy doing the inletting would be a big plus, not knowing what's going on at McM., or until things shake out a bit over there

DF

How well does this stock work with open sights? The McM fwt is a fav for switching between a scope and peep sight, but now I must find a replacement since they stopped making them.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
It’s a bit tight with irons, even high ones, takes a hard cheek weld. But it’s not bad with scopes, actually pretty good. It’s made to go both ways. For just irons it’s a bit high. But how often does one use irons. I really like this stock.

DF

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have one on a model 54 Winchester (modified to use Model 70 bottom metal) and like the shape and fit. It's a nice, classic shape. GD

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
It’s a bit tight with irons, even high ones, takes a hard cheek weld. But it’s not bad with scopes, actually pretty good. It’s made to go both ways. For just irons it’s a bit high. But how often does one use irons. I really like this stock.

DF

I’m a weirdo, use irons about half the time. It’s a great looking stock.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by pabucktail

DF

I’m a weirdo, use irons about half the time. It’s a great looking stock.

It’s designed to work both ways. Depends on one’s build, face, neck, etc.

I found I needed a pretty tight cheek weld to see high irons. It does work with irons and glass.

And what a classic, sleek shape. There aren’t many classic stocks as well proportioned.

DF

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by pabucktail

DF

How well does this stock work with open sights? The McM fwt is a fav for switching between a scope and peep sight, but now I must find a replacement since they stopped making them.

I went with the McM Winchester Express on my 416 Rem for this very reason. A tweak of the cheek and both irons and optics work pretty well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice, I never get tired to seeing that gun. It's a classic, for sure.

Seems to me your McM Express comb may be just a tad lower than the Legend. It would be nice to have them side by side, but compare them carefully, see what you think.

DF

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Ordered my stock yesterday and am going to have MNR build me a 9.3 off a pre-64 action.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Here is my 9.3x62 built by our own Redneck using a pre-64 action and finished by Charlie Santoni.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Here, my own 6.5x57BR wildcat, in a Rem 700 action, sitting in one of D'Arcy's Shrike stocks.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Nice, both.

DF

B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Those are sharp rifles GSSP.

Semper Fi
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,312 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,242
Posts18,466,827
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.