24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Really common up here. Really corrosive environment, due to the chemical they put on our roads in winter.

People forget about their spare, till they need it.

My shop torches off about a dozen spares a year.

Basically, torch off 1 side of the retainer bar (that holds the tire up) at the end of the winch cable.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had the same problem with my spare under my 2008 Chevrolet Silverado recently. We were getting ready to move from Michigan to Oregon and I was planning to pull a UHAUL trailer. So I checked the pressure in the spare and it was low. When I added air I could hear it leaking out. So I tried to lower it and couldn't. I followed the instructions in the manual to deal with the secondary latch to no avail. The garage that was going to rent me the trailer said it is a common problem and that the mechanism would need to be cut off and replaced with a better design. So that is what I had them do. Cost about $300. The rim was rusty so the guy at the shop did some grinding and then reinstalled the tire and pumped it up. Seemed to hold air. Fortunately we didn't need it on our trip west.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
owning old toyota trucks, mine have rusted up years ago. I bought a replacement, took the bed off, grinded the old one off and replaced it. Before I replaced it I filled it full of grease and I drop the tire once a year.

for the other truck, the replacement was like $80 bucks or I could buy a dodge version that was similar for $27 and the extension tool for $9, so I will be mounting the dodge version on my Toyota this summer.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Good info from people that have experienced it.
Cheap way- deflate
Expensive way take to shop.
Battery powered 4” grinder with a cut off wheel are pretty handy tools to have.

My spare on my 03 is in the bed of my truck because the winch works but the pipe to the mechanism is bent.

The winch on my toyhauler died last fall when I put a impact gun to it... don’t do that...
that reminds me, order new winch so it is here when snow stops.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
On my older[93] GMC once I got it down I fabbed a mount to put in the bed and just kept the spare there.
Spare isn't much good if.....

FJB & FJT
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Really common up here. Really corrosive environment, due to the chemical they put on our roads in winter.

People forget about their spare, till they need it.

My shop torches off about a dozen spares a year.

Basically, torch off 1 side of the retainer bar (that holds the tire up) at the end of the winch cable.

I wonder what % of pickup spares are carrying under 20lb of air. My spare is 13 years old and probably has less than 50 miles on it. I have a good 4 year old tire on the pickup that will replace it when I buy tires later this year. They get weak from age even out of the sun.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Any time I get new tires I have the spare replaced with the best of the set being replaced so my spare is never more than 2x as old as what's on the ground.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
When I get new tires, the old ones go on my horse trailer. They don't get a lot of miles but they sit out in the sun all the time and get cracked.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We were up riding the SxS on a rough mountain road,ran into a guy with a Tahoe with the same problem. He was a Border Patrol guy who had just transferred from upstate NY. We had cell coverage, he called his wife and had her bring another tire to the trailhead. Ran him down, picked up the tire, ran him back up and put the new one on. I dont know if he ever got it fixed, thinking so, but his spare would not come down either. I guess if I lived in the rust belt, that would be something to flush yearly come spring.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
wondering if the new electric trucks will even have a spare in order to make room for batteries. i cant see it being very practical. i did see a video of the electric f150 out running the Raptor.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
737 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 72 invisible), 2,970 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,763
Posts18,401,397
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.