Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by high_country_
I have a load tester and dc amp clamp that do a great job of telling me what's going on. Thelma tester is great for diagnosing battery health.

What is a Thelma tester? Load tester?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My girlfriend goes through a lot of batteries.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
first, I'm not a mechanic.

I do buy trucks and drive them a long time.

If you are running down a battery, it could be:

• battery
  • bad cables (corrosion all the way through)
  • bad alternator (brushes, VR, whatever)
  • starter going out (electrical or mechanical)
  • short somewhere

there may be a way to figure out each of these on your own. (I don't know it)

my best luck has been with a good auto electric place.

they can put clamps on your ground and positive wires while you start it and tell you what the problem is.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Walmart batteries are highly rated. Unless you get into some of the high priced specialty batteries, they're near the top.

WM batteries have worked well for us in several vehicles.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Turns out the battery was indeed bad. Took it to Les Schwab for their free battery test and their little computer said it was "bad". The guy didn't give any detailed explanation of what exactly was wrong with it, just "sometimes it happens". Anyway, they gave me a new one under warranty, in and out in 25 minutes.

I'll monitor the engine starting response for a while but it seems that all's well that ends well, plus I learned a couple of new things about car batteries from this thread so thanks for everybody's contributions.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Schwab has rapidly and seriously gone down hill since old man Schwab died a few years ago. The bean counters will have it run into the ground within a decade.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Has no one said to check the water in it?

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Turns out the battery was indeed bad. Took it to Les Schwab for their free battery test and their little computer said it was "bad". The guy didn't give any detailed explanation of what exactly was wrong with it, just "sometimes it happens". Anyway, they gave me a new one under warranty, in and out in 25 minutes.

I'll monitor the engine starting response for a while but it seems that all's well that ends well, plus I learned a couple of new things about car batteries from this thread so thanks for everybody's contributions.
Still have your alternator checked. If the battery went bad it was for a reason. A bad alternator can kill a battery.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
. . . A bad alternator can kill a battery.

And vice versa

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Les Schwab's reputation is taking a beating but my partner bought a set of new E tires from them this spring. It's an off brand name but they said they're US made Coopers. Where he lives, they're still the best for service and warranty. The tires look pretty good and he says they're very quiet. He said he ended up spending about $100 more for them but figures it's worth it for the service.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
napa batteries have been made by exide for years.

btw interstate doesn't make batteries, johnson controls makes theirs.

Last edited by wahoo; 04/14/21.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I’ve had good luck with the Duracell batteries from Sams club.

Made in USA.

These used to be my go to marine batteries when we had a Sams.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AU7MM08
I'm a big fan of getting tires and batteries from Walmart.
They're located EVERYWHERE and open more hours than many other stores.

I travel for work so knowing I can get what I need in any podunk town has a lot of utility.

Right on

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wahoo
napa batteries have been made by exide for years.

btw interstate doesn't make batteries, johnson controls makes theirs.

Johnson Controls no longer makes batteries either.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
I’ve had good luck with the Duracell batteries from Sams club.

Made in USA.

These used to be my go to marine batteries when we had a Sams.

Made by East Penn.

As are these I Bought from NAPA.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NBP8301

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Turns out the starter was the problem all along. The original battery was also bad as well but that was a red herring in this case.

It died on me Monday afternoon, just wouldn't turn over at all. As luck would have it I was parked at a convenience store literally 150 yards from the car repair shop I've patronized for many years. Walked over there and the guy walked back with me with a portable jump starter. He verified that the new battery was fully charged so we figured it had to be the starter.

Felt kind of silly loading it up on the tow truck just to haul it across the street and down one block but it would have been awfully dangerous to push it along that busy street. Anyway, they ordered the part Monday afternoon and installed it Tuesday morning. Even though it was listed as a three hour job they had it in before lunch and changed my oil as well. wink When I turned the key it gave that familiar energetic cranking and started right up.

Big shout out to Pro Auto Care on Broadway Ave, Boise. They've taken good care of this vehicle for the last 17 years. This job wasn't cheap but I'm confident it was done well and at a reasonable price - guaran-damn-teed it would have been a hell of a lot more at a Honda dealer.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i stand corrected, sort of. the same plants make them but jci sold the battery div in 2019. the retirement checks don't bounce, though.

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I have found NAPA batteries made by Johnson Controls to be absolutely worthless. Johnson CAN make some good batteries, but I believe NAPA has set the contract parameters just to the point where the battery intentionally fails within the warranty period, hooking the customer into coming back to claim a few bucks credit on the warranty...to repeat the cycle over and over. I am not a casual user, my son and I have about 20 pieces of equipment and commercial vehicles, we use a lot of batteries.

What I've found over the years is that vehicle battery life specs are optimistic, presumably best case scenario. I've had so many batteries go dead with less than a year left on their "warranty" that for the past several years I've just bought "5 year" batteries from reputable companies with the plan to replace them after 4 years, not bothering with the "warranty." Less stress that way.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Les Schwab batteries are terrible.

🦫

Interesting.

I just checked the Tacoma. Installed 1-2017. So 4+ years already. Still starts the truck every time so far. And it sat a bunch this winter. Only put about 1K miles on the studs this year, due to health issues and not putting in for an AZ javelina tag, so it's not like it's getting charged frequently.

Of course, once a year the lids get pulled and distilled water added as needed. And cable ends etc cleaned with baking soda water mixture.

The Tacoma takes one relatively large for it's engine, or I switched to a larger one (old trick). This one is a 24F with 700CCA and 850 total for a 2.7L 4 cyl.

Wife took off to town in the Matrix, again I think that has a 24F that's 5 or so years old already. We get a bit colder up here than where flintlocke is, down around zero every year and still freezing at night. But, maybe more importantly, we rarely get over 100F.

Used to use the old Sears Die Hard. I'm like the poster that mentioned Wal Marts being everywhere. Used to be that way with sears. Got a lot of tires and batteries from them. Now I do Schwabies because they're local here and an awful lot of places we go. Nearest Wally's is 100 miles away.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just buy a Deka and be done with it.

Napa used to be good but lately, they would only make good boat anchors. I bought them in a rush a couple years ago for one of my excavators and since then they have been replaced twice each (2 batteries in the excavator) under warranty. When the warranty finally ends, those will be replaced with Deka's

I sure could go for some $2.50/gal gas and a mean tweet!

NRA Benefactor member, disgruntled.
Life member: Firearms Owners Against Crime.
Life member: GOA
Member: RMEF

TRUMP 2020
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 3,037 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.