T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
Originally Posted by TheKid
If you haven’t driven a pickup with an auto newer than 99 you might be pleasantly surprised. The newer 5,6, and 10 speeds offer a lot more control over the old 3 and 4 speeds.

Except when starting on a slick surface. In an auto, no matter what, you are starting in first gear. If you know the surface is slick, in a manual you can start in second or third and get your wheel speed up to get moving. In an auto, first gear puts too much torque to a slick surface and you get immediate wheel spin.
I don't own an auto, but I would consider buying one for a vacation or long distance driving car. All of my trucks and Jeeps are manuals, as is my wife's Toyota. I can't imagine driving in snow with an auto!
We just bought a "new" Jeep for my wife. We had to look long and hard for a manual as this will be her winter vehicle. Maybe we could have found one easier if she wasn't stuck on PURPLE, but when it arrives from NC she will be HAPPY HAPPY!
Millions of people have driven automatics in snow for forever now and they lived to tell about it.
Yeah never mind that my super modern 1979 Ford C6 3spd auto will start and stay in 2nd gear if you put the gear shifter in 2.

Having lived in a place that required one to drive on ice and snow daily for up to 7 months a year for a decade and having owned both auto and manual equipped trucks as daily drivers during that time, I would much rather drive an auto in slick conditions.

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by JMR40
And I've never driven an automatic that couldn't manually be placed in the best gear for the situation. Too many automatic drivers just want to put it in "D" and forget about it. If I'm loaded or towing heavy, or driving in mountains I'm manually changing gears quite often, especially going down.

That doesn't meet the need here. I'm going to go so far as to say "you're wrong" but I'm going to try to explain why so as not to start a fight. smile It is pretty mountainous here. One of my favorite roads .. gets me to my hunting spot .. is steep in sections and curvy in sections but it also has some flat and straight, some flat and curvy, some steep and straight. The conditions change so quickly that changing what gear you're in with an automatic is an absolute pain in the ass. It'll cost 10-15 minutes driving from hunting to home .. at least it does me. The problem is that the shifters on the automatics aren't intuitive / "by feel" well enough.

Picture coming down a long hill straight ahead at 65-70 going into some 30-35 mph turns, a short straight stretch, maybe a little uphill, then another steeper drop with turns, straights, etc. It's easy with a stick, it's a pain in the ass with an automatic. You could just slow down but if you do you'll trigger a road rage incident from the people behind you who are more able to drive the road conditions. I don't want to be that self-centered dick behind the wheel.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you haven't driven anything 2011/2012 or newer with a manual-mode automatic transmission. You put the auto's gear-selector in "M" and use the +/- button on the shift-stalk of the HD pickups or console shifter in most 1/2tn's. That +/- button shifts faster than you can gear-jam a true manual. My 6-spd can start in 3rd if I wish. I haven't run any of the newer 8/9/10spd autos in the newer pickups yet but that 6-spd in my '11 F250 6.7L Ford SMOKES every manual transmission for towing, climbing, engine-braking, etc, etc, etc.

I've got a 5-spd Tremec in a 2800# car w/400HP 406CID small-block that I drive 700-1000Mi/summer. It's a fun car with that engine/transmission combo and keeps me plenty tuned up to jump in and drive pretty much any manual transmission but the only way I'd go back to a manual in a pickup is if I wanted to ensure that my wife was never tempted to drive it.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by smarquez
If you haven’t driven a pickup with an auto newer than 99 you might be pleasantly surprised. The newer 5,6, and 10 speeds offer a lot more control over the old 3 and 4 speeds.

Except when starting on a slick surface. In an auto, no matter what, you are starting in first gear. If you know the surface is slick, in a manual you can start in second or third and get your wheel speed up to get moving. In an auto, first gear puts too much torque to a slick surface and you get immediate wheel spin.
I don't own an auto, but I would consider buying one for a vacation or long distance driving car. All of my trucks and Jeeps are manuals, as is my wife's Toyota. I can't imagine driving in snow with an auto!
We just bought a "new" Jeep for my wife. We had to look long and hard for a manual as this will be her winter vehicle. Maybe we could have found one easier if she wasn't stuck on PURPLE, but when it arrives from NC she will be HAPPY HAPPY!
Millions of people have driven automatics in snow for forever now and they lived to tell about it.
Yeah never mind that my super modern 1979 Ford C6 3spd auto will start and stay in 2nd gear if you put the gear shifter in 2.

Having lived in a place that required one to drive on ice and snow daily for up to 7 months a year for a decade and having owned both auto and manual equipped trucks as daily drivers during that time, I would much rather drive an auto in slick conditions.

Yep, autos sure are nice up here on icy alaskan roads. My 1992 cummins, if you let off the clutch too quickly shifting gears, that rear-end would kick out, due to all the engine compression. Or even letting off the throttle too quickly going down hill. Even with studded snow tires, it could get scary. Whereas a nice auto unlocks, and also acts like a big shock absorber.

On my 2002 7.3 powerstroke, I chose an auto truck over the manual truck, I tested both. I felt that the manual truck came off boost during shifts, then you'd have to work through some turbo lag getting into the next gear. Not the case with the auto, stays right on boost through every shift.

My truck driver buddy picked me up in Delta last year. Hauled a load of conveyor belts to Anchorage. He was trucking all the way from Alabama. His new big rig had an Auto. Gawdmn did that thing shift nicely. He was less fatigued the end of the day but did miss running gears in certain situations.

Now my 1968 k20 with 292 chevy inline six. Yep, that sucker is getting a rebuilt sm 465 4 speed. I'm selling my th-400 auto. A manual sure is nice towing with a smallish motor that lacks power.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 05/15/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by horse1
my '11 F250 6.7L Ford SMOKES every manual transmission for towing, climbing, engine-braking, etc, etc, etc. .

If by SMOKES you mean out runs it on a short hill, you may be correct. Pull 20K up a 40 mile grade and your AT will overheat and hate you enough to quit. When it comes to maintenance, I put a clutch in every 350K, you rebuild every 100K.

Yep, autos sure are nice up here on icy alaskan roads. My 1992 cummins, if you let off the clutch too quickly shifting gears, that rear-end would kick out, due to all the engine compression. Or even letting off the throttle too quickly going down hill.

I don't know how this can be as diesel engines don't operate on a vacuum like gas engines do. Gas with a "posi" I completely understand - that's why there is a clutch. Has to be operator error.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you haven't driven anything 2011/2012 or newer with a manual-mode automatic transmission. You put the auto's gear-selector in "M" and use the +/- button on the shift-stalk of the HD pickups or console shifter in most 1/2tn's. That +/- button shifts faster than you can gear-jam a true manual. My 6-spd can start in 3rd if I wish. I haven't run any of the newer 8/9/10spd autos in the newer pickups yet but that 6-spd in my '11 F250 6.7L Ford SMOKES every manual transmission for towing, climbing, engine-braking, etc, etc, etc.

I've got a 5-spd Tremec in a 2800# car w/400HP 406CID small-block that I drive 700-1000Mi/summer. It's a fun car with that engine/transmission combo and keeps me plenty tuned up to jump in and drive pretty much any manual transmission but the only way I'd go back to a manual in a pickup is if I wanted to ensure that my wife was never tempted to drive it.

You'd be wrong on that limb. Buying a truck with an automatic was the single most expensive mistake I've ever made. I had a 2014 F250 for a few months .. and got rid of it taking over $20K loss in the process to get back to a stick shift.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Bart, I must have not explained this well enough:

That 1992 W-350 cummins had an extremely harsh/heavy duty clutch. I could be on flat gravel, at idle, let off the clutch slowly, wouldn't matter. The fkn clutch would hook up, and bury those tires at idle.

So going down an icy/steep grade, when shifting, the engine compression of that diesel and the the harshness of that clutch, you had to be extremely careful. Yep, rear end had a Detroit locker.

I live on the tallest hill from Fairbanks to the Canadian border, she's a sketchy one with LOTS of accidents.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
my '11 F250 6.7L Ford SMOKES every manual transmission for towing, climbing, engine-braking, etc, etc, etc. .

If by SMOKES you mean out runs it on a short hill, you may be correct. Pull 20K up a 40 mile grade and your AT will overheat and hate you enough to quit. When it comes to maintenance, I put a clutch in every 350K, you rebuild every 100K.

Yep, autos sure are nice up here on icy alaskan roads. My 1992 cummins, if you let off the clutch too quickly shifting gears, that rear-end would kick out, due to all the engine compression. Or even letting off the throttle too quickly going down hill.

I don't know how this can be as diesel engines don't operate on a vacuum like gas engines do. Gas with a "posi" I completely understand - that's why there is a clutch. Has to be operator error.

Why would the auto heat up if it’s locked up properly and it’s working correctly? The Aisin in mine gains a few degrees on really hard pulls but it’s never come close to overheating with the 42ft toy hauler but I’m only 28-32k combined so maybe you’re pulling more weight.

I’ve got no bones about the manuals, they treated me well but this auto hasn’t had a blip so far and works amazing if operated sanely.

Semper Fi
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Sand and Ice Ill take an auto over a manual all day. Lose momentum on shifts on beach sand, sickening feeling when truck stalls on uphill grades on ice then its like an out of control sled sliding backwards! With an auto you can sometimes control decent!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs

Why would the auto heat up if it’s locked up properly and it’s working correctly? The Aisin in mine gains a few degrees on really hard pulls but it’s never come close to overheating with the 42ft toy hauler but I’m only 28-32k combined so maybe you’re pulling more weight.

I’ve got no bones about the manuals, they treated me well but this auto hasn’t had a blip so far and works amazing if operated sanely.

Ive got a 2017 3500 with a manual, and a 2018 4500 with the aisin. I usually drive the manual. I prefer it when pulling farm equipment (no brakes), just pick a gear and go.

This spring, we bought a 25k gooseneck trailer. My 3500 is legal for 26k and the 4500 is good for 32-33k. I've been driving the 4500 a lot more, to maximize the trailer. Anyways, I've been paying extra attention to my temps under load. Today with a fully loaded trailer (18k), my transmission temp only went up 6 degrees, in a 4 hour drive.

The best part about the aisin is the tow/haul mode and the exhaust brake. When your getting off an exit, you just tap the brake and it'll damn near stop you by the end of the ramp.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Same here Ben. Mines a pulling SOB and I’ve never seen anything close to a heat issue.

Dig the Aisin/exhaust brake and tow haul. It works amazing.

Semper Fi
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

I'm @ 220K Mi (I put them all on, bought it new) and haven't touched the transmission yet save for a couple of fluid/filter swaps.

Originally Posted by T_O_M

You'd be wrong on that limb. Buying a truck with an automatic was the single most expensive mistake I've ever made. I had a 2014 F250 for a few months .. and got rid of it taking over $20K loss in the process to get back to a stick shift.

Was it the automatic transmission that caused you a problem or something else?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just bought my wife a ‘new’ used Jeep as a Mother’s Day surprise. 2013. She had been casually looking for a year and she required a manual. The amount of people amazed at the 6 speed manual is funny. Everybody loves it. Such a novelty.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Just bought my wife a ‘new’ used Jeep as a Mother’s Day surprise. 2013. She had been casually looking for a year and she required a manual. The amount of people amazed at the 6 speed manual is funny. Everybody loves it. Such a novelty.

In 2023, a manual transmission is an anti-theft device.

smile

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
PUSSY ASSED MANUFACTURERS CATERING TO MILLENIALS!
Exactly. My automatic (Aisin) does have a manual shift mode. You just push the button, and if the computer thinks the shift is a good idea, it will, eventually, shift. I would love to have the same truck with a manual transmission. Add in a manually activated exhaust brake and I would love it. GD

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by greydog
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
PUSSY ASSED MANUFACTURERS CATERING TO MILLENIALS!
Exactly. My automatic (Aisin) does have a manual shift mode. You just push the button, and if the computer thinks the shift is a good idea, it will, eventually, shift. I would love to have the same truck with a manual transmission. Add in a manually activated exhaust brake and I would love it. GD

I had two nearly the same trucks before with manuals and I’m not sure they’d do any better than what the Aisin does. Not saying it’s perfect but it’s not bad compared to the two previous manual Cummins.

Semper Fi
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

409 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 50 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.