Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Is there a rule-of-thumb percentage difference between the wholesale and retail price of used firearms? For instance, if one was buying a multi-gun estate I would expect to pay a fair percentage less than the aggregate retail price of the guns. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, RS

GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I was told by the manager at a lgs that buys used guns they pay 20-30% below retail price for used guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No simple answer - many, many of the used guns I see are better than - worth more - than many new models.

The two guys I know that buy such amounts from an estate or from a person getting rid of a collection have stored a lot of value knowledge in their heads. They have a way of arriving at a solid estimate of what the whole kaboodle is worth and offering cash at about 50% of what they think they can get in return. They can go upward with the offer if necessary and they feel it is worthwhile, but their willingness to buy everything - down to the last sling or gun bag - makes their approach more attractive to the seller.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My experience with selling used guns is that dealers will offer no more than 60% of what they expect to sell the gun for and will try to buy it for less. That's why most people selling through a dealer go to a consignment model rather than a straight sale.

Private buyers may pay more, but I'd expect a private buyer making a bulk buy to discount the package significantly from retail unless there is something really special in the stuff for sale.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depends on if it is a proven rifle or not. "Yes, but it's a proven rifle!" was the answer a friend got when he asked a guy at a gun show why his used rifle was priced like a new one.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A "proven rifle" sounds like a typical gunshow BS reply. How is "proven" defined/determined ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gunswizard
A "proven rifle" sounds like a typical gunshow BS reply. How is "proven" defined/determined ?
A seller can claim anything he wishes, and they often do such stuff. The term means nothing to the buyer unless the buyer already has used/shot/closely examined the piece. I may like the way it is made, looks and feels - but buying on that basis it is a crap shoot with regard to performance. Much of the time I can work with one to the point where satisfied with performance. If that fails, they go down the road again.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If I’m buying a collection, it’ll be at 50% of retail. There is a lot of time and leg work involved in turning a collection into cash. For me, that has a monetary value. It also has a monetary value to a person who “just wants it out of here”. I will also make clear the reason for my seemingly lowball offer.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
^^^^what Greg said, I am upfront with the heir... M'am, rifleX will bring 600 maybe when I sell it, but I am taking all the risk, doing all the appraisal work, cleaning, transporting and paying for the table at a show or advertising...so I am only going to offer you 66% of what I hope to get on the back end, here is the current book, take a look. If you will go for 66%, I'll take the whole Maryann.
I live in a very thinly populated rural area, word of mouth is EVERYTHING. I only have 2 things to offer, hassle reduction for the heir and honesty.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
This jives with what I have seen.

Thanks, RS

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lima1seven
I was told by the manager at a lgs that buys used guns they pay 20-30% below retail price for used guns.

We paid 50% of retail new for good used guns and marked them at 75% to 80% of our retail new pricing.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
50%-70% of used guns retail value at favorite firearm honey honey hole. Skewed one end or the other depending on demand/likelihood of turning over quickly.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In a quantity buy (5 or more) The price would be lower. It really depends on what it is that they are selling. Really clean old desirable ones? A mix match? When asked this question I have always said put them on consignment at a good LGS. You might pay 20% of the sale price, but you will get what the market will bare. Auctions are a better deal, for the seller, but they have their costs as well.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
In the past year I have bought some pretty nice pieces very fairly priced on consignment locally. The LGS's will turn them for their 10 - 15%, not unlike a realtor.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,981 guests, and 1,425 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,474
Posts18,451,783
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.