Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My boat paddle 308 wore a laminated stock for a while. It's back in oem form now, albeit with the addition of a Limbsaver recoil pad. The new pad made a major difference. The one from the factory really is just awful. A meatal buttplate may be friendlier. As far as the stocks looks, it doesn't matter to me.

BP-B6

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Maybe a .22 rimfire to stay in the utv . But other than that I got no love for one , never did .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They look like poop and kick like a mule

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They sure don't have eye appeal but they've been tough IME. My old .338 Win, despite its recoil had been rolled over on by a couple horses and was ran over by one 4 wheeler. Pretty much any wood or other cheaper synthetic stock would have snapped in half. I like 'em, though I don't own one anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I was bouncing a rifle in and out of my canoe during the rainy season on the coastal side of the Olympic peninsula on a daily basis, I'd go with plastic, composite, fiberglass, rubber, or whatever. I do not do that, and like my rifles to have character. I.e. if we put 30 similar make rifles in a rack, I like to walk up and pick mine up without having to memorize and read serial numbers. That being, I prefer and am capable of maintaining the warmth and unique look of wood.

I rarely if ever comment on plastic units, as they don't even get a passing glance.

Looking for good stock wood a couple years back, found exactly what I wanted, but $700 for board was a bit much.

To each his own, however.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/07/21.

1Minute
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I have one of these left. It's on a limited production 7.62x39 that Ruger did for Davidson's about thirty years ago. People today have poorer taste in everything than ever before. Ugly stock, to say the least, but they seem to be pretty stout and impervious to everything in the way of rough handling in the field and solvents during cleaning. I couldn't imagine paying a premium for a rifle with such a stock, but I'd certainly accept a premium at sale time.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Limbsaver pads are the way to go.

2 b 1 ask 1 !
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Had one in 30-06. Kicked like a mule. Anyway, whatever you like go for it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw the .308 plastic stock 77 I bought as a terrific place holder for a Mk ll action for a replacement Chet Brown Kevlar stock and a 7mm-08 match grade Shilen barrel.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Since Zytel is a nylon, it’s not really a composite stock per current common usage since the stock is not made from a layered or co-cured construction like graphite, Kevlar, or Fiberglas in a resin or epoxy layup. Not that any of that matters. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I've used a couple of Ruger Paddle stock rifles for years. I have a 30-06 and a 338 WM. They are all anyone needs in the US. Limbsaver has a good recoil pad that is simple to put on the Zytel stocks. It's no big deal. Out in the bush a rifle can get used hard, and and you want one that is tough. Between the (what I consider) best stainless on the market in the M77 MK II barreled actions and the zytel stock you have a rifle that will last forever. I see no reason a person would need anything else for big game hunting.

+1

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
I had one on a 338 Win Mag and hated it. Ended up selling the rifle. It kicked like hell and was about the ugliest stock I'd ever seen. At the time, I thought I HAD to have a 338. In reality, it didn't do anything my 35 Whelen wouldn't do except kick harder.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
T
Originally Posted by Utahunter
I had one on a 338 Win Mag and hated it. Ended up selling the rifle. It kicked like hell and was about the ugliest stock I'd ever seen. At the time, I thought I HAD to have a 338. In reality, it didn't do anything my 35 Whelen wouldn't do except kick harder.

Amen, brother! Sounds like you copied my experience! Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one, in 7.62x39, sold it. I think they call the stock Zytel.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do like mine, now. First bought the rifle back around '95 after I broke the pretty wood stock on a Browning. Decided to go tough and ugly. Still good after all these years except for some scratches. Decided to sand them out this week and after applying a little Break Free CLP she looks good as new. Now I'm finally going to install a limbsaver butt pad. They apparently make an adapter for their 10011 pad which screws right on the boat paddle stock. After learning how to fix the 77 MkII trigger pull and installing a pad that can absorb some recoil I just may decide to keep her another 25 years.

I will say it has killed more big game than any of my other rifles. That counts for something. Keep your pretty guns safe at home and take your boat paddle hunting.

God Bless America
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have one in .300 Win that I won on a $10 raffle ticket. So I can't sell it or the capital gains tax would eat me alive. grin

Used it for a LOT of years as my meat gun. 180 grain Grand Slams around 3000-3050 fps. MOA-ish accurate and I never really thought the recoil was hateful at all. It got kinda heavy to carry if the walk was far. Ugly as a mud fence. But rugged as they come. It just sits in the safe now. But I'd likely grab it first if I had some deer hunting to do.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JustLucky
Limbsaver pads are the way to go.

Yep, I agree. Plus it adds about a 1/2" to the LOP. I've shot of lot of 338 ammo through mine. I see no point in having anything but the Ruger MkII with the Zytel stock. They'll do anything I need them to do.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I never could warm up to em, appears folks love em. 👍

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Years ago when they originally came out I thought they were hideous. I always have loved rugers. After they discontinued them they grew on me and I regretted not getting one. I picked up a 270 that was a safe queen. Scoped it and loved it since. I’m extremely finicky about keeping my guns it top condition. That 270 I don’t have to worry about. Rain, sleet, snow, mud, nothing. It’s just tough. Has never let me down. I don’t shoot it like a range gun, so recoil is not an issue. I have since bought the same gun in an ultralight 270 also. Same thing. My son now has a 243 set up the same way. All 3 will out live all of us. When it comes down to it, they just do what they are supposed to do. Be reliable, tough, and take game. When the fashion police show up in the field, I may get a ticket. I don’t care. Those rifles will get it done.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
So which one of you gun heads bought the zytel in 257 Roberts on GB?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
336 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,729
Posts18,400,838
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.