Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Taken from my front door step. He is stealing my granddaughters' bass.

[Linked Image]

But he escaped before the cops could show up.

[Linked Image]

I am pretty sure I heard him say "Fug you Cracker".

[Linked Image]

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Little blue heron .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Filet mignon of the sky. That right there is a GBH, my most hated enemy besides otters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's a grey heron. We get the sandhills here for the summer.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Ardea herodias!

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

We have lots of GBH around here. There is a nesting grove down against the river a couple miles away in some big cottonwoods. You never know the nests are there until the leaves fall in autumn.

But I guess I have not been this close before, or had the 300mm lens available. I thought the GBH had a longer beak.

We also have a lot of Sandhills, a few night herons, and occasionally what I guess might be an egret. About half the size of the GBH and snow white.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Birdie is right.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Filet mignon of the sky. That right there is a GBH, my most hated enemy besides otters.

You don't have eagles bothering you guys up there? I'm hosting a pair at the hatchery most days for the last year. Expensive decorations....

Biggest problem we used to have was squawks (crested night herons). I counted more than 300 on one set of raceways one night, and F&G's official count for the whole valley was 264.

But yes, Great Blue Heron. I've heard tell #4 shot works as expected.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Heron of some type.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I
Dutch, I and the pond are inside city limits these days with lots of nosy neighbors and right on the intersection of two busy county roads. Gunfire would get a response..........probably not one I would like.

The pond is eighteen feet deep. We will just have to suffer with the loss of fingerlings to hungry predators. The banks are steep enough that the adults do not even expose themselves much when spawning.

Eagle are occasionally seen down on the Payette River, and sometimes an osprey. But we do not see them much away from the river. Eagles are pretty thick right in downtown Boise on the Boise River.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good luck with that one. It's probably found a breakfast, lunch, and dinner counter.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lol, I used to run a hatchery inside the city limits, there are ways.... But that was a long, long, long, LONG time ago.

Believe it or not, a dog can be the best deterrent if you can get it excited about chasing that kind of bird. Just don't ever let him actually catch it, that beak will break skin (or so I've heard tell... wink )

Another method that works middling to fair is to run a hot wire, usually takes two or three to make sure they get zapped when they walk in. Motion activated lights work good (actually better than motion activated sound, and easier on the relationships with the neighbor). Hand held laser pointers if you have too much time on your hands.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I call them shîtpokes

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Had the at my pond, a propane bird canon takes care of that problem

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Hot wires work about 3"-4" above the edge of a concrete raceway. Mostly grin

Not sure how I'd do it around a pond like in the OP's pic though.

We had one at a place I worked, completely enclosed by fence and bird wire over the top. Dang thing would sit on the hill and wait until everyone left the raceways for lunch, break or to get a tool or the feed truck, then fly down and walk in gates which were a pain in the butt to close every time we left for a few minutes.

I heard of some facilities that have dogs that "patrol" all day. Mostly border collie types.

Them birds are deadly accurate with that beak too. Imagine an eye getting taken out by one. They can grab a 1.5" minnow at close to three feet, they can hit an eye if they want.

Someone did a study on kingfishers and hatchery fingerlings. 9 a day average. That adds up in a lot of potential profit lost over the course of a season. Imagine how many a heron can eat.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Keep the window open behind the couch in the trailer, open the curtains about 1-1/2” gap

#6 high brass, full choke 12ga

Was hittin my bud’s koi and comet pond hard, sombitch was hard to get to sneak on till the above set up

I was on the back bedroom in case he needed back up with the 16 ga

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Schit can that stork!

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pterodactyl

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ran a big hatchery that was covered in standard chicken wire that was about 20 years old. The bastards figured out that they could walk on top of the ceiling, and they worked the wire with their feet enough to create holes, some big enough to get their bodies through. I'd come in in the morning and there'd be a dozen squawks and blues in the cage. Took me a while to figure that one out.

The owner used to have a fishing club on the creek by the hatchery. That worked until the pelicans found it. Wiped it out in less than two weeks. Some birds ate some much trout they couldn't fly.

Once herons find a guaranteed meal, they and their five dozen descendants will return until it's fished out. Best to nip it in the bud.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1Akshooter, 63 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,255
Posts18,467,016
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.