Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Mine broke on my truck so I went without. Within two years I was getting rock chips everywhere. Bought another one. They gravel the roads here in Colorado though.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
They aren't magic, but protect the front of your vehicle! Mine is low profile with a sweeping lift on the back edge, works ok on bugs.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MtnHiker
In 88 I bought a new xj cherokee. I had a daily 110 mile round trip work commute m-f. I installed one that was a mostly flat slab installed close to verticle slopped back at maybe 15 degrees. It was not rounded and scupted and aerodynamic like most you see today. It worked really well. Kept the windshield clear everything particularly of snow to while at freeway speeds. I do not know if these new ones that are so "form fit" to the front of the hood would be as good.

In 1975 I was commuting daily round trip 250 miles a day in a 73 Ford pickup.
Installed a plexyglass bug shield and it cost me a gallon of gas a day, of course gas hadn't quite hit 60 cents a gallon then either.

They weren't tough enough to do much rock deflecting.

Once they started paying more attention to wind tunnel tests with vehicle design the effects they were after in the 70's with after market bolt on bug shields are pretty much built into new automobiles.

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You better buy a good one because a lot of them will vibrate against the front of your hood and actually cause is it to look like it was shot with squirrel shot. By vibration I mean always riding on rough roads like in my neck of the woods! Arkansas has the poorest secondary highways in the world.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
They work for bugs sometimes, but never for deer.

IC B2

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks all.
Originally Posted by RogueHunter

I have one, and they work to some extent.

However, I like to use Rain-X or Prestone windshield rain repellent, and not having the wind directly hit the windshield makes these
treatments ineffective. If I had it to do over again, I would not have installed the deflector.

I'm a big-time fan of rain-x so this is disappointing news...

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
I've got two trucks of the same body style.... one with and the other without deflector. The one with I've had windshield chips fixed twice but the leading edge of the hood is fine, the one without I've not had any windshield damage but the front of the hood has several rock chips through the paint to bare metal. From now on all of mine will have a defector... the ins. co. will pay for any windshield chip repair but to fix chips on the hood my deductible comes into play.

Definitely worth considering... thanks.

My truck has some features that require recalibration after a new windshield is installed, like automatic high beams and pre-collision alert. It's good to only have a $100 comp deductible for it. Found all this out after I took a rock to the windshield in the very first week of owning it 😠

Last edited by Fiddy; 04/14/21.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
[quote=AB2506]I see hood protectors value not so much for bugs but to protect the hood and windshield from rocks. They do deflect rocks.[/quote

This. They don't provide much protection for rocks to the windshield, either. My radiators are screened for the bugs. Windshields get washed every now and again, chips epoxied as needed.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,908 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,359
Posts18,468,939
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.