Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do it myself.

-Ken

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
took our car thru the car wash last night and water started leaking in thru the windshield seal and dripping out thru the pillar air bag. grrrrrrr

Last edited by KFWA; 04/15/21.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Fiddy
I'm a little concerned about scratching up new paint. Is that a myth or a real possibility with these newer automatic car washes?

If you do avoid automatic car washes, what do you do instead? Have it hand washed? DIY? If DIY, then what products do you prefer?

Two types of car washes - one of 'em is 'touchless'.....and overall they do quite a decent job... I ignore the 'touch' variety - some of those can be pretty tough on a vehicle..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I had a nice, new vehicle in a dark color, I'd likely not use the automatic carwashes much, unless they were the "touch-less" variety that only uses spray nozzles. If it's a light-colored vehicle, I don't fret it being a carwash with the spinning brushes/mops. Run it through once a week or every other. But I will say this is for typical road grime, as I'd not put a muddy truck through a brush/mop carwash. Power wash that stuff off first.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I see Redneck was saying much the same about the spray nozzle units. They are the safer bet for paint.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yes I do. I hate washing cars. My two oldies get "brushed" with a California Car Duster and spray and wipe waterless car cleaner when necessary. They do not see water.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

I drive white F150’s, always amazed at how long they stay/look clean.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
NEVER use a car wash. Always by hand using a grit guard in the bucket. I take pride in our vehicles looking pristine.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Only if they are of the "touchless" variety

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Me and Gerald just go down thar to the spray bay and put some quarters in the shiny hole on the wall and spray off the tree sap and algae once’t every couple years on Nana’s grand marquis

IC B3

Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
All the time. Local private owned quality place. My vehicle is $35.00 for their top of the line wash. I buy a monthly pass
I drive a black on black Yukon Denali.
I pay $50.00 a month for Mon-Thur unlimited deluxe washes. Vacuum, machine wash mats, hand toweled, etc
No scratches and my vehicle always looks good.
I typically have it done every Monday and Thursday.
I like a clean black vehicle.

On a black vehicle.... that's something. Thanks

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
apparently: car finishes and optic lens = brothers

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Fiddy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JPro
If I had a nice, new vehicle in a dark color, I'd likely not use the automatic carwashes much, unless they were the "touch-less" variety that only uses spray nozzles. If it's a light-colored vehicle, I don't fret it being a carwash with the spinning brushes/mops. Run it through once a week or every other. But I will say this is for typical road grime, as I'd not put a muddy truck through a brush/mop carwash. Power wash that stuff off first.

Yes, darker color. There is a touchless place I could go too, it's something to consider. Thanks

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Used it because the guys at work were talking about the
underbody wash. It has jets in the floor that blast the bottom as you pull in.
Blasts the salt off.

That underbody wash uses recycled water from everybody else's salt laden cars, so is what your doing is rinsing away salt and grime with high pressure salt and grime.

Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Honestly, I only was cars to get salt off.

Use a hose at home or go to a manual car wash where your using fresh water not salt water.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Just ran my '04 Tacoma through the car wash yesterday.

It's black, and I'd forgotten how nice it looks when it's clean! (GRIN!)

Had about 2 months of grime on it.

I get a "free car wash" pass when I get my oil changed, so every few months I get my truck washed.

Virgil B.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I wash and wax mine by hand.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Only touch less car washes. I ran the brush kind for a while and it takes the grit and scratches the paint BAD. If you live in actual country with gravel roads a touch less won’t get the stubborn stuff off. That requires a hand job.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a 2020 Tundra, paint color is 'shiny primer' as my buddy refers to it. I use the brand new local automatic, was on a monthly subscription of unlimited, I'd go about once a week, but they just changed ownership and I haven't set up with the new system yet.

The level of scratches imparted by the car wash is nothing compared to the level of scratches of driving it through the brush hunting and fishing and kids on scooters in the driveway.

Drive it until the wheels fall off, then do it again.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Run my wife's 2018 Terrain and my 2017 Explorer goes through the big brush car wash whenever they get really dirty, both are light color (silver, white gold) Never noticed any scratches, usually get them clean, underbody wash during the winter months.
My Jaguar convertible get's hand washed.

"The older I get, the better I was"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
$20/month for unlimited washes. I run my truck through several times per week.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 1,048 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.