Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
In the UP, the men are men, and the women are too! I’ve only hunted bear in the UP, and the mosquitoes were so big, they had landing gear. Coolest thing I saw during my bear hunt was a guy who baited bears by nailing lobster carcasses to trees. After a couple of days the lobster guts stunk to high heaven but didn’t attract any bears.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It helps if you are fluent in Yoopanese.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The UP is a great place to live, raise a family, enjoy the outdoors. Great people here also. Quite a variety of things to do in every season. Spent my entire life here. I enjoy hunting other states as well. But being raised up here, I still call the UP home. PM me if you have any questions.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
heard someone say yesterday they would be better off to seceed and become conservative south Canada.

This has not been my experience. My in laws were both born there. The wife has a lot of family there. The vast majority would like to leave Michigan and become part of Wisconsin. A friend of mine there wants to start a petition to leave MI.
It's about time for me to take a trip there. Hopefully the deer didn't break through my cages and eat my saplings. Our small property is in the Rapid River area-just NE of Escanaba.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR
It is God's Country. My camp in the central UP.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Beautiful place. Got any High Bush Cranberriers?

Sadly, no high bush cranberries. But I do get quite a few of these growing up here.

The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting. It's about Freedom.

FJB Let's Go Brandon
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
It is God's Country. My camp in the central UP.

Beautiful place. Got any High Bush Cranberriers?

Sadly, no high bush cranberries. But I do get quite a few of these growing up here.

No fruit, but plenty of protein...OK.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

I
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by jaydub in wi
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
heard someone say yesterday they would be better off to seceed and become conservative south Canada.

This has not been my experience. My in laws were both born there. The wife has a lot of family there. The vast majority would like to leave Michigan and become part of Wisconsin. A friend of mine there wants to start a petition to leave MI.
It's about time for me to take a trip there. Hopefully the deer didn't break through my cages and eat my saplings. Our small property is in the Rapid River area-just NE of Escanaba.

Jaydub, I am likely going there this weekend to look at a few parcels of land. I want to have a place up there more every year. I love my cabin in NW WIsconsin, but the Rapid River area is better.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The upper peninsula is beautiful and the VFW in Munising has cold beer, good food, good people and Jane Fonda's face in every urinal.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My family has been in the UP over 100 years - I've never, EVER heard a single Yooper wish to be part of WI.

MANY say - 51st state, no more LP but NOT ONE has ever said "Lets join WI".

Me

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks All! I need to get there.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Teal
I. . .. There's only 2 things that will really raise an eye brow - asking to borrow a deer rifle or a chainsaw. You're expected to have your own.

Well, ya, eh.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
C
CP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
You need to get a Jerry Harju orientation manual (one of his books) to really grasp the underpinnings of the UP. The UP is one of the very few places east of Montana that I have any interest in going back to visit.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My family has been in the UP over 100 years - I've never, EVER heard a single Yooper wish to be part of WI.

The only Wisconsin redeeming quality is PBR at 25 cents a can. The Youp’s could care less.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I will get up there this year and get in some camping far from the madding crowd, hopefully. The Sylvania lakes area is appealing to me in the fall, though I know nothing of the UP. WI has never been appealing to me, but I have familial obligations!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by MM879

The only Wisconsin redeeming quality is PBR at 25 cents a can. The Youp’s could care less.

Based on many years in the UP and with family on both sides of the border, there is a good case for breaking off the urban, liberal southern part of Wisconsin, including Madison, Milwaukee, Racine and Kenosha, and giving it to Illinois; and joining the rural, conservative northern 3/4 of Wisconsin with the UP.

It would be a large enough economy to stand on its own. If the urban Chicago folks get pissy, the new state could simply shut off their supplies of meat, dairy products, vegetables and toilet paper.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I shot my first bear on the UP. Fabulous country up there!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Oldidaho

Based on many years in the UP and with family on both sides of the border, there is a good case for breaking off the urban, liberal southern part of Wisconsin, including Madison, Milwaukee, Racine and Kenosha, and giving it to Illinois; and joining the rural, conservative northern 3/4 of Wisconsin with the UP.

It would be a large enough economy to stand on its own. If the urban Chicago folks get pissy, the new state could simply shut off their supplies of meat, dairy products, vegetables and toilet paper.

There was talk about doing that maybe 10 years ago.The UP was actually part of Wisconsin territory,but it was traded off for some political reason.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by Oldidaho

There was talk about doing that maybe 10 years ago.The UP was actually part of Wisconsin territory,but it was traded off for some political reason.

The basic explanation is that the UP was given to Michigan in exchange for Michigan giving up a piece of land known as the Toledo strip, to Ohio.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My Old man was a Finn.We lived in Lake Linden as a kid.He went to Milwaukee for a job as he was sick of going 100 miles one way to White Pine to work each day.I still have lots of relatives up there and hunt & fish there quite often.When I retired we move to NE WI.Close to the UP and my wife has relatives around here.300" snowfalls are no BS.Our UP house had a second story exit.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
UP was the first ( and pretty much only) place I've seen people worm grunting/thumping.

They put a stick in the ground and thump it or rub a metal rod over the end of the stick and worms jump out of the ground and off you go fishing.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 73 invisible), 2,723 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,682
Posts18,399,706
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.