Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
All these 28 gauge posts got me to looking at what is available now. After trying to be cheap I decided I ain’t getting any younger and to throw that out and get what I want. So tell me about the Beretta A400 Xplor 28 gauge.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I've got an A400 Xplor 28 ga with a 28" barrel, actual weight is 5#8oz. It balances right at the receiver/forend junction. Great shooting little wand. POI is perfect...just above POA...say 55/45 for me. I shoot some skeet and a bit of sporting clays/5-stand with mine. It works perfectly with reloads with Winchester AA cases, Alliant 20/28 powder and CB wads. It didn't like Federal hulls shot in a friends Browning O/U as a couple out of the one box I reloaded failed to eject properly.

The trigger on the 28 ga is about 4.5 # with some creep typical of a semi-auto...but better than my A400 Xcel Black 12 ga Sporter was pre-trigger job. I've ordered a magazine cap for the 28 ga that matches the stock Xcel Black medium weight cap. They are available in 3 weights, the black one adds about 4 ounces to the 28 ga for clay target sports...which I've been borrowing off my Xcel . Shot quite a few decent rounds of skeet with it so far.

The A400 action is super quick cycling, soft shooting given the light gun weight, easy to strip and clean and has proven super reliable. Good luck with it!

Edited to add the Beretta lineups all come with the Micro Core recoil pads. They are a step up from any other I've used on a shotgun. They don't hang-up on your shirt or coat and they really reduce weight, weighing about 1/2 what the Beretta rubber recoil pads weigh.. I like them so much I've ordered Micro Cores from Beretta for my 20 year old 12 ga 391 Sporting and 16 year old 20 ga 391 Teknys Sporting, and my my 21 year old 686 20 ga Silver Pigeon. Nice thing is the pads all interchange on the field guns (small size) and sporting guns (large size) going from present back 20 or more years. Various thickness are available. Big upgrade in my opinion having used the Micro Core on my newer A400s vs the old style.

Last edited by Kurt52; 03/30/21.
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Sounds good. I really would like to find one close by to at least handle before buying it

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I know what you mean on handling them first! I bought my Xplor 28 ga from a dealer 5 hours away more on bad roads earlier this winter so I had it mailed to me...OK to mail in Canada. It was a "salesman's sample" gun, all complete except missing the IC choke. Huge discount so I just went ahead and bought it, Fits very well the way it came with 14.5" LOP including the .6" recoil pad...could easily be adjusted down to 14.3" and as long as 14.9" in .2" increments by changing to a different Micro Core pad from Beretta. Haven't been sorry for a second I bought it. I usually hunt with a double gun but probably will give chukars, huns and ruffed grouse a go with it this year. With the stock magazine cap it is the lightest shotgun I own.

It also has stock shims to change cast for a right or left hand shooter as well as adjust the drop at heel from 65mm (2.6") to as little as 50 mm (2") in .2" increments. I left mine as it came with 60 mm drop & set up for a right hander (cast-off) and it works perfectly, but is a simple task to change them with a few tools....#2 phillips screwdriver for the recoil pad and 13mm socket for the stock nut. Also helps to have a magnetic screwdriver to reassemble it to get the lock washer on the stock bolt. Put the nut in the socket with a bit of paper towel to hold it firmly in place before trying to thread the nut on down in the stock.

I am expecting my Briley IC and Skeet extended chokes soon. I couldn't locate any Beretta extended Optima HP 28 ga chokes in Canada so went ahead and got the two Briley chokes coming. The one pattern I shot with the factory flush Mod choke looked great at 20 yards. I was checking POI vs POA, using Win AA #8 3/4 ounce loads.

If you are wood snob, the Xplor wood looks great as it has laser burned enhanced figure, but it isn't high grade wood, just enhanced figure that is appealing to me. Up very close you can see there are unfilled wood pores on mine (been rubbing in a bit of boiled linseed oil which already has mostly cured the issue).

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Oh well, I guess I will have to bite the bullet and just buy one to get to handle it.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Found one in stock at Hinterlands and ordered it

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

So in law just bought the Beretta 28 gauge, and I bought a 28 gauge CZ O&U

Can't wait to try them both out on some clay birds!

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

OOOps! Just re-read my post!

Son in law, NOT So in law!

Virgil B.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Picked up my A400 a little while ago. A beautiful gun and very light. I can’t wait to try it out

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
[Linked Image from ]

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I’m always amazed at how well and how far my 28 ga kills birds.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hand load some TSS and whoa Nellie.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
Already have some #9 1/2 TSS loaded. That stuff is wicked and makes a 28 ga suitable as an all around gun. I have been using it in my O/U and it holds a tight pattern out to 60 yards. I also have a crap ton load of 28 ga ammo. Every time I go in to my local Walmart I pick up 3 boxes of the stuff. The only ammo they ever have in stock is the 28 gauge in #6, #7.5 and #8 shot at pre nutty prices

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Nice shotgun!! Have fun!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.