Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
...in new trucks?

Seems all the online options from the big 3 are automatics. Other than one Ford salesman who claims all things are possible, ala carte, it appears that manual transmissions are scarce.

Do you fellas know anything different?

Thx

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't think there are any manuals available anymore in half-ton or larger trucks. You can still get them in some compacts.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The last manuals made in full size pickups were in Dodge Cummins 3/4 and 1 ton. They dropped both of those a couple years ago.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

sold an '04 Dodge Cummins M/T 2 yrs ago........124K miles

High book plus

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You know you’re old if you remember AT in a vehicle being an upcharge!

Then AT became standard and a discount for MT

Then upcharge for MT

Now, MT not even available.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
PUSSY ASSED MANUFACTURERS CATERING TO MILLENIALS!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Heck I want to find a manual for my kids to drive. When they go to collage or wherever they will have a better chance of not having their car stolen. It won't be that effective here in farm country since most of the kids are able to drive a manual, but I can't remember the last time someone had a vehicle stolen either.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
PUSSY ASSED MANUFACTURERS CATERING TO MILLENIALS!

I don’t think it’s so much that as a combination of automatics improving so much and engines, especially new diesels, making so much power that the available pickup sized manuals can’t stand up to them. I believe the ZF5 and ZF6 were rated for 600lb of torque, none of the big three have made a diesel with that little torque in over a decade.

The only thing I can think of that I’d do in a pickup that would make me wish for a manual again is roll start one with a dead battery. Otherwise the new automatics are excellent in every way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I still like a manual when the vehicle has marginal power or is underpowered. Helps you stay in the powerband. Otherwise, today's truck automatics do seem pretty good.

In a sporty car, I still prefer the manual for the fun factor, even though modern autos will smoke them in a drag race.

3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Obviously you automatic lovers have never faced a slick, steep downhill grade where a low crawler gear will allow you to maintain traction and steering. With an automatic, even in 4LO, you end up riding the brakes and risk becoming a sled.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not. Not many steep grades around here, but I can see where there could be merit in that instance. Can you not accomplish the same with a low-geared auto in 1st gear? My last two truck autos would let me stay in 1st if I wanted.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Obviously you automatic lovers have never faced a slick, steep downhill grade where a low crawler gear will allow you to maintain traction and steering. With an automatic, even in 4LO, you end up riding the brakes and risk becoming a sled.

I am a big fan of manual transmissions and they are good in the situation you describe, but you can pull the emergency brake to about half position or so and effectively hold the automatic back where if you start sliding a little you have to give it some gas to straighten it out, just like you would with a low (granny) gear in a manual.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sold my F350 Diesel Manual today. On to easy street with the F150 auto.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My last manual was a 90 Chevy Scottsdale with a 350 motor. In 4 low and 1st gear I would have to give it gas to feel like I was going anywhere down a steep hill. I loved that thing. Had it for 13 years. but it wasn't powerful enough to pull my horse trailer so had to get something bigger that was an automatic. While good it wasn't as controllable going down hill. Descent controls are supposed to do what the manual used to.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
PUSSY ASSED MANUFACTURERS CATERING TO THE MARKET!

Fixed. They are in the business to make money and any automatic can be dropped to whatever gear is needed for descent. A ten speed automatic offers a lot of options.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My Dodge Cummins has a manual. On a long steep one, I engage the exhaust brake and drop maybe 1 gear, 2 if it's really steep or I have a heavy trailer. Sit back and let it idle down the hill. OTOH, our Toyota Highlander has a v6 and an 8 spd auto. I have to get down to 4th before I can feel any braking at all. If the engine speed is up to a certain level, it won't shift down at all to avoid over revving the engine. If you're pulling a trailer, you'd better plan ahead for hills.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
3584ELK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
May be the manufacturer's are just catering the city crowd. Clearly you have not been on the kind of trails I have. Bouncing off the curb at McDonald's is not what I am referring to.

I got my answer. Thanks, fellas!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Heck I want to find a manual for my kids to drive. When they go to collage or wherever they will have a better chance of not having their car stolen. It won't be that effective here in farm country since most of the kids are able to drive a manual, but I can't remember the last time someone had a vehicle stolen either.

My son can drive my manual 92 Chevy C1500, and my 77 GMC K2500. Both manuals. Takes a bit to figure out after not driving for awhile, but he is/was a natural at driving things. My daughter thus far has only driven the automatics. The lessons this summer will involve some yelling and tears I've no doubt lol. But that's the beautiful thing about having old rigs. Bounce it off a tree or pop the clutch, I can pound the dent out or replace the u-joints and I'm not out a daily driver.

I very much lament the death of manual transmissions in pickups. Too many betas out there buying cars with beds that can't manage them.

MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by EdM
PUSSY ASSED MANUFACTURERS CATERING TO THE MARKET!

Fixed. They are in the business to make money and any automatic can be dropped to whatever gear is needed for descent. A ten speed automatic offers a lot of options.

Exactly.
Our ‘11 F250 has a 6 speed auto. I can hold back 23,000 GCW using the tow/ haul option, or putting it into manual mode. Easy enough to not toast brakes on a grade, if one has actually done so.

I too lament to unavailability of MT, but hauling flesh, nobody can equal the smoothness of an AT to ease a critter’s trip. That’s worth it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Compression brake fixes all that in Diesels. Plus you can drop into manual towing and creep down the steepest, slickest hill.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
694 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 11point, 160user, 117LBS, 12344mag, 83 invisible), 2,665 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,691
Posts18,399,843
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.