Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
A boom pole and a length of 1/4" chain has turned into one of my most useful attachments for my tractor.

After I drop a tree, I hook the chain about 6' up from the base of the trunk, lift it off the ground with the boom, then slice pieces off of it like it's a roll of Bologna. When I cut up to the chain, I set it down, move the chain up and continue cutting,...limbing as I go.

You can dissect a tree pretty quick like that without having to worry about the saw getting in a pinch.

I drag the tree back to the burn pit before I start cutting it up, get the fire going, and just pitch chunks of the tree into the fire as I cut them off.

A good "no drama" way to start a brush pile fire is with those Duraflame logs that people burn in the fireplace. They burn for about 2 hours, or so. Put one of the bottom, light it up, then start stacking limbs on top of it. They'll even get green wood burning and you don't need to keep dousing the fire with diesel fuel.

I used the above method to burn a 25' Spruce tree that had died in the front yard.

I had it cut, dissected, and on fire in about an hour and a half.

BP-B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Those older tractors are better than nothing. But with no low range and no live pto those old tractors are hard to get along with.

Sherman took care of the need for a low range or high range or sometimes both. But there is no getting around the need to stop, throw the tranny to N and let the clutch out to lift an implement before turning the tractor around and starting the next row.

When we were kids, we did not know any better. An 8N beat the hell out of trying to mow hay, plant corn, or cultivate behind a team of horses.

But about sixty years ago, they started building much better alternatives.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I used to see the Fords with single rib front tires.

Out in the arid West, folks that had several tractors would keep one equipped with single rib front tires for cultivating or cleaning corrugates in alfalfa and pasture. Idea being, they were semi- self-guided.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
209 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 21 invisible), 1,877 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.