24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Have a Winchester 70 xtr with red rubber butt plate that is dented from standing in corner too long balanced on one part of the recoil pad. Can I heat the rubber in hot or boiling water and reshape it?

Last edited by TnBigBore; 04/11/21.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
BP-B6

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Replace it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal
Replace it.

Pre USRAC red rubber pads appear to be pretty hard to come by. It is just dented on one corner, otherwise great shape.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't really repair those . Somebody has been making the replacement red pads for quite some time, but I can't remember who or where to order them... try a Google search...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Originally Posted by TnBigBore
Originally Posted by pal
Replace it.

Pre USRAC red rubber pads appear to be pretty hard to come by. It is just dented on one corner, otherwise great shape.

The question is, can you live with it the way it is? You are not likely going to find an original WRA pad. Contrary to what some think, there was/is not a company making these:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'd do like pal suggested and replace it, if it bothers you that much. The best replacement would be a red pachmayr. You could always keep an eye out on ebay and maybe one will pop up, but not likely. Good luck with it..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Have a Winchester 70 xtr with red rubber butt plate that is dented from standing in corner too long balanced on one part of the recoil pad. Can I heat the rubber in hot or boiling water and reshape it?

For what it is worth, I got irritated replacing recoil pads so now I store my rifles muzzle down on a rubber mat (to catch oil), result is no more damaged pads and no oil under/in action.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART

For what it is worth, I got irritated replacing recoil pads so now I store my rifles muzzle down on a rubber mat (to catch oil), result is no more damaged pads and no oil under/in action.

Yep, I do the same usually. I just bought this one.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Originally Posted by pal
Replace it.

The question is, can you live with it the way it is? You are not likely going to find an original WRA pad. Contrary to what some think, there was/is not a company making these:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Correct me if I'm wrong. I'd do like pal suggested and replace it, if it bothers you that much. The best replacement would be a red pachmayr. You could always keep an eye out on ebay and maybe one will pop up, but not likely. Good luck with it..

Yep, that is the pad. Maybe I will get lucky and spot another one one of these days. Not the end of the world if I don't.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try to locate a beat up takeoff or broken stock of the period.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That's a good question, and it does not look like anyone has written back to definitively say "No, you can't."
Sheister came closest in writing "Can't really repair those.", but did not specifically outline any harm that trying your idea might cause.
I have not done a full search about the hot water bath option but seem to recall reading something about that.
I'm just thinking through what harm could come by trying.
I imagine the pad is kind of hard, so the holes through which the screwdriver goes might be a bit crumbly and end up looking worse.
If you submerge it in boiling water you might separate the black base from the rubber pad (maybe - I don't know)
If there is a steel plate between the red and the black that could get some rust if not dried out well.
But overall I'm thinking there's no harm in trying. I would take the pad off, screw it to a block of wood cut so it can be lowered into a pot so as just to submerge the dented portion of the pad in the hot water. Before putting the pad in the water, I'd bring the water to a boil then take it off the heat, then let only the dented portion soak in that hot water for a while, and see if it softens up a bit, maybe enough to be kind of "kneaded" around and coaxed back close to it original shape.
If you can't stand it as is it's worth a try - might work fine.

Rex

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

An exercise in futility.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All my rifles with pads go in the safe upside down to save the pads from this fate.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TRexF16

That's a good question, and it does not look like anyone has written back to definitively say "No, you can't."
Sheister came closest in writing "Can't really repair those.", but did not specifically outline any harm that trying your idea might cause.
I have not done a full search about the hot water bath option but seem to recall reading something about that.
I'm just thinking through what harm could come by trying.
I imagine the pad is kind of hard, so the holes through which the screwdriver goes might be a bit crumbly and end up looking worse.
If you submerge it in boiling water you might separate the black base from the rubber pad (maybe - I don't know)
If there is a steel plate between the red and the black that could get some rust if not dried out well.
But overall I'm thinking there's no harm in trying. I would take the pad off, screw it to a block of wood cut so it can be lowered into a pot so as just to submerge the dented portion of the pad in the hot water. Before putting the pad in the water, I'd bring the water to a boil then take it off the heat, then let only the dented portion soak in that hot water for a while, and see if it softens up a bit, maybe enough to be kind of "kneaded" around and coaxed back close to it original shape.
If you can't stand it as is it's worth a try - might work fine.

Rex

I thought about trying some version of this. I still might. It is fairly small dent though I and I may just live with it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
732 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 75 invisible), 2,973 guests, and 1,289 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,467
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.