Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
VernAK Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm interested in hearing about real experience suppressed 22LR HV and 17HMR decibel drop.

I've tried putting my 30 caliber suppressor on my 22LR and it does very little which I suspect is because of the 30 cal bore.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
They’re hearing safe at HV with my can, but that’s about it.....seems most of your noise from supersonic rim fires is outside the muzzle. Subs is a different planet.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've shot a 10/22 with an integral suppressor, it was fun, but you still heard bolt slapping inside the receiver. It belongs to a buddy of mine.

If I were doing one, I'd use a boltgun, then all you'd hear is the firing pin. I plan on getting a suppressor sooner or later, I already have four threaded rifles.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hearing safe with HV, Sub's are like a pellet gun. Those ultra quite ones that say not for suppressed rifles are dam near silent. I don't recommend using them but you know I had to try it!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I've shot a 10/22 with an integral suppressor, it was fun, but you still heard bolt slapping inside the receiver. It belongs to a buddy of mine.

If I were doing one, I'd use a boltgun, then all you'd hear is the firing pin. I plan on getting a suppressor sooner or later, I already have four threaded rifles.

I have a suppressed full auto 10/22, it sounds like a sewing machine when running it, I found a way to quite the bolt slap

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bullet crack, whether it's 17 hmr or 22LR supersonic or a 223 is basically the same.

With subs and a bolt action and a longer steel suppressor, a 22 LR is the same as an airgun. Maybe quieter. I'm sure if you made the suppressor big enough you could get it as quiet as a whisper, but most of them now are quiet enough to shoot in a house, or shoot varmints from your deck without alerting the neighbors.

There is actually a big difference between how well 22LR suppressors work; the older designs are much louder and speaking generally the aluminum ones are louder. This is really pronounced on pistols and less so on rifles.

My integral 10/22 with subs is so quiet that, as mentioned before, you just hear the action running.

The sound of the bullet hitting the target is also pretty loud.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve thought about one a good bit, but since almost all of my .22 shooting is at the range, where protection is mandatory at all times, I decided to forgo the expense and trouble. Quiets shoot pretty well in my guns, so if I ever have to let a couple off in the yard, my neighbors will think it’s just the crazy old man shooting his Air King again.

SSHPs are very quiet in the woods; no “crack”. I use RWS.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I'm new to the 22 can world, just got a switchback. Anything more than cci standards in mine, is too loud for yard use. I let my son finish off a squirrel about 20 yards away from me with the tikka t1x and standards and I swore all you could hear was the ground being hit.

The cci semi auto quiets have been the sweet spot for me out of my 22 auto rifles and pistols. Just dont have enough to go crazy with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've got a suppressor that I usually have on my 22LR Ruger American bolt gun.

With Eley subsonic HP's one can hear the hollow point bullet "slapping" a ground squirrel.

Also have a Ruger American bolt gun in 22 magnum.

Not as quiet with the suppressor as the 22LR, but still quieter than a subsonic 22LR without the suppressor.

For ME, the suppressor is a good investment. I'm sure my neighbors appreciate it.

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by killerv
I'm new to the 22 can world, just got a switchback. Anything more than cci standards in mine, is too loud for yard use. I let my son finish off a squirrel about 20 yards away from me with the tikka t1x and standards and I swore all you could hear was the ground being hit.

The cci semi auto quiets have been the sweet spot for me out of my 22 auto rifles and pistols. Just dont have enough to go crazy with them.

I recently swapped out the scope and stock on my 455 SS. While sighting it back in, the SA Quiets landed in nearly the same place as SV at 50, while the regular Quiets were way low.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
the cci sa quiets really haven't been easy to find, even before this ammo mess we are in now. I bought 10 boxes from midway when they first came out, really havent seen them since. I'll buy a bunch of it when I get the chance at a decent price.

Last edited by killerv; 04/01/21.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
My CZ 415 will only function with Winchester Subs. Minute of ANTIFA @ 50 yards with just a "pfffft".
"25 shots quick".

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Buy some RWS subsonic you can thank me later!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you put a suppressor on 10/22 and shoot 60 gr sniper subsonic ammo......... the short case extracting will expose gas above 2 atmospheres to the outside world.

It reminds me if loud 2 stroke motorcycles with good mufflers, but the noise is coming out the carburetor.

And there is no slide mass, recoil spring combination that can get around that.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I shooting a Ruger 10-22 take down and S&W M&P compact 22 suppressed. With normal ammo, it is still hearing safe. I was shooting squirrels 300-400 yards from my son while he was deer hunting and he never heard me shoot.

With subsonic, it sounds like a pellet gun. The CCI subsonic ammo also happen to very accurate in the 10-22. The bullet smacking the target is about the loudest thing you will hear.

CCI Quiet will not cycle the action in either rifle or pistol.
CCI Quiet Auto will cycle the action in both.

Rimfire suppressors get really dirty with a lot of lead deposits, at least mine does. I have to clean it about every 1000 rounds. I was told to coat the internals with Frog Lube, but found that Thompson Center Bore Butter seemed to work a little better at preventing some of the build-up.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Personally I can’t tell any dfference when shooting a 22 with or w/o a suppressor when using HV ammo. BUT the real fun starts when shooting subsonic ammo suppressed! Out of a bolt gun all you hear is the firing pin drop and the thwack of the bullet as it hits. CCI and RWS are my go to rounds.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by hh4whiskey
They’re hearing safe at HV with my can, but that’s about it.....seems most of your noise from supersonic rim fires is outside the muzzle. Subs is a different planet.

This exactly. The supersonic crack is the main source of the loud noise. The actual shot is very, very quiet.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
713 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,713 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.