Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
It seems I just can NOT resist these nifty Rifles!
The day before the VarmintWife and I left for a 9 day vacation (March 26th) my local gun shop got in a mint Ruger American Varmint Rifle in 22 L.R. on consignment.
I already have a few of these but this Rifle was so inviting (great price, great trigger no wear at all etc!) and being familiar with them I bought it and set it aside until I got back from our trek.
I got home several days ago and mounted a blued Leupold 3x9 variable with adjustable objective and E.F.R. feature (extended focus range) on it. I had a bit of a time finding a set of "blued" rings to match the scope and the finish of the Rifle but eventually I found some, and quickly mounted/bore sighted the combo.
This rig looks GREAT with the blued scope, rings and Rifle finish matching very closely!
Next I began the wait for the wind to cease here in SW Montana - easier said than done.
Finally I got a respite this morning and headed for my friends private range.
I had along SEVERAL types of quality 22 L.R. hollow-point ammunition to test but the main ammo I wanted to try and to use was the newish Federal 22 L.R. 38 grain hollow-point bulk pack ammo that is packed in 1,100 round black cartons.
I have two of these 1,100 round cartons and this upcoming Gopher season will indeed be seeing me using this ammo afield, for the first time.
Anyway at the range the nifty little Rifle proved up on my store test of its trigger (with snap caps) and I dialed it in directly (no troubles with the Leupold adjusting the point of impact by the way!).
The Federal 38 grain ammo shot very well at 50 yards and the two five shot groups I made with it averaged .480"!
I wanted to try some 100 yard groups as I had plenty of ammo along and I was so happy with the 50 yard groups of the Federal ammo that I decided not test any other ammo.
As I set up my 100 yard target I felt the wind picking up!
By the time I was starting to shoot it was puffing along at 12 to 15 MPH!
My only group at 100 yards measured right at 2.000" so I halted shooting because of the conditions.
On the way out of my friends ranch I bagged a single Ground Squirrel with the new to me rig!
Good omen that.
No fail to fires, extract or eject in my first 30+ rounds fired and again I was very happy with the accuracy - so far.
I highly recommend these Ruger American Varmints - I am certain they are a great value/Rifle for the money!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Help me out here.

Curious as to the model you speak of, I looked & couldn't find an American Rim Fire "Varmint" model.

I've got a 22 Predator that I'm really happy with. Wanting to try one in 17 HMR if & when they again become available.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Gunzo: Thanks for asking for clarification - I will try to link to the Rifles I have and am talking about.
It is apparently called the Ruger American Target as I peruse the Sturm Ruger site.
It does have the semi-heavy 18' barrel, an adjustable "Accu-Trigger" type trigger and the wider forearm laminated stock barrel.

Link: https://ruger.com/products/americanRimfireTarget/specSheets/8348.html

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Cool, just like my plastic stocked Predator only a lot nicer, or more substantial.

A few yahoo vids & some piddling, my trigger is just a touch over 1#. Has some creep, but at that poundage for a free trigger & an ink pen spring, who cares.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a green stocked “Predator” with a threaded muzzle. I’ve got a can on it and a Leupold Mark AR scope. I did add a Timney trigger and it is an awesome rifle. It shoot very well and I regularly shoot it out to 200 yards and ping 6” steel routinely

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
D500lnn: I have a friend with a "can" in 22 caliber and he is due here in a couple of weeks for Varminting.
I think I will ask him to bring it along with him so's I can try it out. I hope our threads match-up.
Never had much desire for a suppressor until the Magpies in my area have now attained "plague" numbers - not a Robin, a Dove, a Chickadee, a Bluebird nor a songbird of any kind can successfully nest and hatch in my area nowadays.
The "war" is on!
I even bought a Browning break action 17 caliber pellet pistol last week to try and diminish the hoards of Magpies on my property - it is inefficient at distance.
So the quiet suppressed 22 L.R. may be the best long term solution?
Which munition does your Predator prefer?
Not that a beggar like me can be choosey in todays world of short supplies.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
VarmintGuy it really likes Aguilla Super Extra subs. It does pretty darn well with CCI 40 grain subsonic as well. I ran out of the aguilla though👎🏻

Regards,
Nick- Georgia
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
D500lnn: Thanks for that.
Noted.
I have had the Ruger American Target out now three days in a row Hunting Ground Squirrels - and ran approximately 600 rounds through it with great results and virtually NO problems.
Did have a couple of "stovepipes" when the ejected cases did not clear the breach - but these may have been operator error as I may have been paying more attention to the "next target" than operating the bolt smoothly/correctly?
Really liking the handling of the relatively short barrel as the "high" yesterday was 35 degrees and the wind was howling and most shooting was conducted from the protection of the cab of the VarmintMobile as opposed to shooting benches.
More later - off on VarmintSafari soon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 3,107 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,485
Posts18,451,963
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.