Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by MGunns
He talks of a possible violent Bigfoot encounter told by his trapper I believe. I really like his books. Imagine leaving on safari as president. I think his rough rider stories are the best

He didn't "leave on safari as president." His safari took place after he left office.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4026374344...mlej07wIVchh9Ch0nGQVsEAQYAiABEgL_0PD_BwE

The River of Doubt is a very good read, IMO and sets a lot of the era into perspective. The trip earned him a nasty infection which ultimately killed him.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Roosevelt himself was an interesting character.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickt300
Roosevelt himself was an interesting character.

Complex guy. I've read the vast majority of biographies out there on him and while I don't agree with everything he did as a politician, or to be fair, wanted to do on the Bull Moose platform, you can never say he did not love his country, family and fellow service members. He was a man of character and resolve.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love the scene in "Hunting Trips" where they take the wagon to the head of a coulee and walk up to timberline looking for elk. Find the herd at the top of the coulee just at sunset, so they build a fire and pull their wool coats around them and lie down to (try) to sleep. Get up just before dawn, eat some hardtack they carried in their coat pockets and take a nice bull (or two) as the sun rises. Wool coats and hardtack is a far tougher way of life than down bags and gas mini stoves.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by gaperry59
I have Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail. It's a good book.

Apparently Teddy was an enthusiastic, but not particularly skillful, marksman, and loved to hunt. His vision did not help, and he readily admits his mediocrity with his rifles.

No, I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often.
Theodore Roosevelt

His writing is excellent, and all first hand, but it's very much written in the style of the day and tends to be less readable than modern works. Still worth the effort.

My impression was that his style was rather ponderous, but not for a lack of experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

The River of Doubt is a very good read, IMO and sets a lot of the era into perspective. The trip earned him a nasty infection which ultimately killed him.

Just thinking of the Amazon Basin is apt to initiate a skin eruption.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He talks of a possible violent Bigfoot encounter told by his trapper I believe. I really like his books. Imagine leaving on safari as president. I think his rough rider stories are the best

I think his safari was started in 1918 and spanned three months. From memory, his son Kermit, skinners, those who would do wildlife sketches, and many native bearers mounted to quite a troupe coursing through the bush.

Real time costs was in the $80-90k range.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm a third of the way through African Game Trails. More of a day to day account of the safari than actual hunting. Imagine chasing Lions on horseback!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I think his safari was started in 1918 and spanned three months. From memory, his son Kermit, skinners, those who would do wildlife sketches, and many native bearers mounted to quite a troupe coursing through the bush.

Real time costs was in the $80-90k range.

From memory also, but I know he died slow and that happened early '19... I am thinking the safari was before the Brazilian trip, more like '16. I could be wrong...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The safari was 1909-1910, and lasted most of a year.

He hunted around the U.S. and Canada some between the safari and Brazil.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Thanks for the correction. Apparently my memory is not always trustworthy.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I can't remember the title, but there's a book from the last few years about that expedition that really makes you realize just how many hardships Roosevelt glossed over and how tough a trip it really was

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Looking on Amazon for Teddy Roosevelt books, I picked up several. They weren't that expensive in paperback.

Looks like they're gonna be good reading.

DF

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Thanks for these suggestions. I just picked up a few used, paperback copies to enjoy.

Rex

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Speaking of TR, there is a PBS documentary on Amazon Called Into the Amazon. Have not seen it but ran across it while looking for something else.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Reading "Hunting Trips of a Ranchman", Teddy states that the .45-75 half mag Winchester, "stocked and sighted to suit myself", was the best weapon he ever had. I see a number of pictures with him holding a high grade, half mag Win 1876, which seems to be the gun he's mentioning.

For around the ranch, he liked his double 16 ga with a 45-70 lower barrel, evidently a drilling, which he refers to as his "little ranch gun"..

For ducks and geese he had a "No 10 choke-bore" double gun made for him by "Thomas of Chicago" and for grouse, a "No 16 built for him by Kennedy of St. Paul". So I assume a 10 ga, not sure about the choke, and a 16 ga. for grouse. I would think these were guns stocked or put together for him by these named individuals. He never says what brand.they were. I doubt these guys built those guns from scratch.

He was quite wealthy from birth, so I'm sure he had his guns tweaked to suit him without regard to cost.

Interesting. I guess he was a Loony of sorts.

DF

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
187 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 26 invisible), 2,068 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,645
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.