Print Thread
Hop To
B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve worked up a load with 350TSX for my CZ 416 Rigby for a September buffalo hunt. However, I can no longer find any .416” 350TSX anywhere. I did just locate several boxes of Federal Cape Shok factory loads with the 400TBBC.... does anyone have any experience with these on Cape buffalo? Thank you in advance

GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I probably can help you with 350 gr TSX's. PM me if interested. To your question, absolutely.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have used the original Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 400-grain on buffalo with excellent results. If you decide to buy the ammo, they will work fine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Gentlemen, thank you.

I will be hunting herds and I’m concerned about shooting through and hitting another animal. How do the 400TBBC penetrate? From what I’ve been able to find (read on line, no real world first hand experience!) I would guess them to probably act about like an A frame and penetrate well but probable be caught by the far side hide. But again, this is an arm chair hypothesis!

I thought I had it all figured out! Bought a CZ416.... bought two boxes of 350 TSX. THE bullet I wanted to use. The rifle shot them great. I shot the rifle a fare amount..... then NO more bullets.

MD, if you read this this question is for you ( or anyone else with real world experience).

My “back up” rifle is a CRF M70 375RUM. It is quite a bit lighter than the CZ and I think we will probably doing a lot of walking. I’m FULLY confident in that rifle and have had it for probably 20+ years. It’s very accurate and I have a large stash of the old 300gr fail safe bullets. It was the rifle I built long ago when I was dreaming of hunting buffalo as a much younger man. But I’m concerned about that bullet at the velocity I’m pushing them shooting clear through a buff. My PH said we will be hunting large herds. Should I be overly concerned about over penetration? Also, will rifle weight be that big of a deal ?

I’m 47 years old and in pretty good shape.

I’m sure I’m over analyzing this!

Thank you again,
Ben

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too. am waiting out the 350gr TSX for my 416 Remington. Have found a load that my rifle really likes. Fortunately, or unfortunately I do not have another trip planned right now.

No experience with the trophy bonded, but I would use them with confidence.

Arcus Venator
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Benbo,

In my experience Trophy Bondeds are less likely to exit than the 350-grain TSX you planned to use, but more likely to exit than A-Frames, which tend to expand wider.

On a slightly different subject, the very first bullet I used on buffalo was the 300-grain Fail Safe, from a .375 H&H. I hunted in the Okavango Delta of Botswana, and the bull was as big-bodied as any I've seen killed (the bull my hunting partner got was just as large, if not a little larger) and the FS exited on a broadside shot that landed just behind the shoulder, leaving an exit hole the size of my fist.

I intended to put it in the shoulder, but there were two bulls at the end of a herd of about 200, heading down to a river in the evening. They were the biggest bulls in the herd, but one was slightly bigger. They were moseying along together, sometimes side-by-side, The PH whispered to NOT shoot unless they stopped--and to make sure the other bull was clear.

They stopped about 60-75 yards in front of us, with the smaller bull behind the larger one. Then the bull on the far side started walking again, and I aimed at the big bull's shoulder--but apparently he couldn't tolerate not being with his buddy: Just as the .375 went off I could see him also start forward, and the bullet landed maybe 4-6 inches behind where I'd aimed..

A lot also depends on the size of the buffalo. They can vary considerably depending on the region. The buffalo some friends and I hunted in Tanzania's Selous Game Reserve were noticeably smaller-bodied than Okavango bulls.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You can use the TBBC with confidence, MD is spot on about penetrating a bit less than TTSX orTSX

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I suspect he will be using the 350 gr TSX. grin

B
Benbo Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Ed!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good deal!

John Steinbeck
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I await a dead buffalo picture...

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
I await a dead buffalo picture...

I think we are all awaiting a buffalo picture. grin

Arcus Venator
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes, they work fine. I have used them on a couple of buff.
Hit the buff in the right spot and your load will kill him.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Benbo, chances are your PH would not allow you a shot on a Buff with another behind it. That said, the TBBC is a great bullet for that kind of game.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I used the old 400gr TBBC (no plastic tip) on Cape Buffalo in 1998 and on a couple of bison since then. Great bullet. I've since kind of retired my Rigby in favor of an old 375 H&H. It loves 300 gr TBBC and I love their performance on numerous buffalo.

I have never recovered a TBBC, any caliber, that wasn't picture perfect.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 51 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,521
Posts18,452,746
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.