Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#15997762 04/15/21
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Say a guy was looking for a dead nuts reliable, .45 in this platform.

I'm looking for input from you guys. I had a double stack Para a number of years ago, should never have sold it. Borrowed the same model Para, and a Kimber single stack (both in .40) from a friend and my GOD that Kimber just hit every damn thing I pointed it at and ran like a typewriter. Other than owning that one Para, I've only ever shot a half dozen or so over the years.

Not looking for a competition type gun, or a bottom rung budget either. Decent sights (or ability to drift in new) and reliability is what I'm looking for. Not looking to pro/con the argument as to what is good and bad about the platform in general. I don't care to rehash the old bullchit.

Brand/model recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

MAGA
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have had Kimber Government, as well as the 3.5 in barrel (can't remember what that model is) they ran fine.
I have a Nowlin Gov. that runs good as well.
For my best never fail I would say it is my Springfield and my series 70 Colt Officers model.
Believe it or not I also have a Taurus full size that has yet to screw up but I don't have as many rounds thru it

Last edited by pullit; 04/16/21.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m trying to avoid a Dan Wesson but right now, I think it’s the best deal out there for a quality gun.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd look for an older Series 70 Colt's Combat Commander

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a lot easier to get a reliable gun nowadays than it used to be. It has to be asked though, reliable with what? What are you going to shoot. It's very easy to get a gun that's 100% with FMJ, but it's a lot more difficult to get one that will feed everything.

I've got two 45 autos right now, a Colt Gold Cup, current production, and a Springfield Armory Loaded model. Both have been 100% with everything I've fed them. Neither is a low-end model. I'd characterize them as high end standard production guns. After you get past those, what is left is pretty much semi-custom stuff like Wilson.

You said you weren't necessarily interested in bottom-dollar but...Tisas makes a heckuva .45 with their bargain-basement 1911A1 GI repro model. From what I've seen on video and from what reliable sources here have related, they are 100% reliable with FMJ. I haven't seen one bobble with anything having watched several videos on them.

The two I've got were medium-priced. The Colt maybe a $1200-1300 gun and the SA about $1000. I have no idea what they'd be selling for in the current market. I know the Tisas is hard to get but it can be had and it will come in significantly under $500.

Rock Island makes a good bottom-end gun too, but if I were buying something other than what I have, it would be the Tisas...unless I couldn't get one, then I'd try Rock Island.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I'd look for an older Series 70 Colt's Combat Commander

Good advice.

A new Colt Wiley Clapp will do it too.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Ether a Colt built in the last 10 years or so. Or a Springfield Range Officer.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I’ve been happy with a Sig.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The Ruger is a pretty good piece as well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
It's a lot easier to get a reliable gun nowadays than it used to be.

This is really the fact of the matter, today, along with plenty of good magazines being available & redesigned ogive ammo that feeds far better than the old schitt..

I also agree that for a person not interested in the pride of ownership of a major or boutique name brand gun, that the Rock Island is a good bang for the buck, as is the Ruger.

Unless something is badly out of spec on either the frame or slide, (kind of rare today) pretty much any current manufactured gun can be tweaked & tuned enough, along with good magazines, to be 100% reliable, regardless of what some (very uninformed) people say.

But if you want to spend the money on a Colt or SA, or Kimber or S&W, or a DW, etc., then have at it, but it's not at all necessary to get a good shooting, reliable gun today.

FWIW, from a guy with Wilson's & other custom & semi custom 1911's.......................

YMMV

MM

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With modern manufacturing, I can't think of a single "bad" 1911 on the market. So buy with confidence, they're all good. The world is your oyster...you can get the very cheap, very WWII GI style Tisas for around $400, or you can seek out something that has features that are interesting to you. For a "loaded" 1911 relatively inexpensive I'm a fan of the Ruger. I have yet to have a Ruger come into the shop that didn't work.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks gents.

I really don't want to get into tweaking and tuning. Just load and fire. Mainly hardball, but want at least one commonly available jhp to run 100% too. Names mean nothing to me, pride of ownership comes down to it going bang and putting the bullet in reasonable proximity to where I intended it to go. smile

MAGA
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Thanks gents.

I really don't want to get into tweaking and tuning. Just load and fire. Mainly hardball, but want at least one commonly available jhp to run 100% too. Names mean nothing to me, pride of ownership comes down to it going bang and putting the bullet in reasonable proximity to where I intended it to go. smile

you know you need a wilson combat and a custom python holster and matching mag pouch and belt

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Say a guy was looking for a dead nuts reliable, .45 in this platform.

I'm looking for input from you guys. I had a double stack Para a number of years ago, should never have sold it. Borrowed the same model Para, and a Kimber single stack (both in .40) from a friend and my GOD that Kimber just hit every damn thing I pointed it at and ran like a typewriter. Other than owning that one Para, I've only ever shot a half dozen or so over the years.

Not looking for a competition type gun, or a bottom rung budget either. Decent sights (or ability to drift in new) and reliability is what I'm looking for. Not looking to pro/con the argument as to what is good and bad about the platform in general. I don't care to rehash the old bullchit.

Brand/model recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks

My Springfield Armory Range Officer hasn't skipped a beat since I got it. Surplus ball to 185JHP loaded up warm, to light 200 SWC handloads. The only thing I'd add is white dots on the rear sight, but picked up some Crimson Trace grips so low light conditions are handled. My buddy got a milspec stainless SA & it works as well, but with non adjustable rear sight.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have only owned two 1911's that were NO FAIL. Springfield Armory Ronin and a Sig Scorpion.

I'll never buy another Kimber!

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger is never a bad idea.

My Springfield MilSpec has never jammed, not once.

Neither has my DW Heritage.

In the interest of full disclosure, I run 2390 Ball exclusively and either factory or Checkmate mags.

Last edited by Uncle_Alvah; 04/16/21.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just bought a new Sig scorpion, only shot about 80 rounds through it so far and has been great.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCS271
I have only owned two 1911's that were NO FAIL. Springfield Armory Ronin and a Sig Scorpion.

Never understood the hate for Kimber. Had mine since 96 or so. Never a problem. Yes I would and do trust it to function.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Swifty
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JCS271

Same. I've owned two Kimber 1911s. Never again.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Colt Commander since the mid 90s.
Flawless.
Switched to Sig Gov model w adj sights.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,661
Posts18,455,712
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.