Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
In another thread, a member here asked me if I could tell him which AR15's would shoot 1 moa or better. They seemed perplexed that an AR15 would shoot that well at 200 yards. In the other thread I started about upper and lower receivers, some guys in the know stated that accuracy mainly comes from the barrel. I'll agree. With an AR15, a good consistent shooting AR15 will generally have a quality barrel. I've had WOA, Noveske, Colt, Stag, and Windham Weaponry and they all shot pretty well. If you were going to build an AR to drive tacks, which barrel would you chose from your experience. Any of you guys getting sub moa groups from cheaper barrels? Also, how much are your top picks costing these days and are they in stock. If not, what is the general wait time? One that has treated me very well is the stainless 20" varmint exterminator barrel with matched bolt from Windham Weaponry. I've decided to go this route again for my new BCM, since the other 2 I have shoot very well. Lets see if the 3rd time is a charm. I like the profile on this barrel, as it is not heavy as hell (truck axle) and the 20" length is just right for my style of shooting. I love rifle length gas systems, as they are super smooth and easy to shoot. This barrel has the compass lake engineering chamber, which is said to help with accuracy and it's usually in stock. It's not cheap by any means at $340.00. That is my top pick, which is yours? Post some pictures of groups, if you want. Hopefully no one is going to bust balls about someone wanting a good shooting AR15.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
ARIC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It can just be the luck of the draw. Case in point, I wanted a 204 done on the cheap so the barrel came from some unknown source for under $100. It will shoot half inch groups off the bags all day long with my one particular load.
Then I wanted to build an exceptionally accurate 204 so I paid over $350 for a Rainier barrel. It will shoot half inch or smaller groups off the bags with the same load.

I really can't complain about either one of them.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
It can just be the luck of the draw. Case in point, I wanted a 204 done on the cheap so the barrel came from some unknown source for under $100. It will shoot half inch groups off the bags all day long with my one particular load.
Then I wanted to build an exceptionally accurate 204 so I paid over $350 for a Rainier barrel. It will shoot half inch or smaller groups off the bags with the same load.

I really can't complain about either one of them.

I may have just got lucky with my WW barrels as well. Nothing wrong with getting lucky every once in a while. The reason I'm asking about barrels is because I needed one for the receiver set I just bought (still waiting on back ground check) and also I've been playing around with a Ruger 10-22 and a good barrel makes a huge difference in getting consistent accuracy and reduction of flyers. Sometimes you get lucky with a bone stock factory barrel. Most times not, in my experience. Then you have your next step up and then you end with Kidd and Volquartsen. I decided to quit screwing around with sheidt and just buy a Kidd heavy fluted 20" matchgrade barrel. Couldn't be happier. Groups with all ammo I've tried are exceptional. Not just groups with 1 kind/type of ammo, but all. AR barrels are much the same in that regard. A good quality AR barrel shouldn't be finicky. I have a member sending me some 55gr and 62gr pills to try and I told him I'd shoot them through my 20" barrel and see how they do. I've always just used 68, 69, 73, 75 and 77gr pills in that barrel, but I'm expecting it to shoot the 55's and 62's lights out. Its never disappointed me with anything I've tried in it. That's the kind of barrel I'm wanting guys to write about. Let us know what the good ones are.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I may need to build another precision upper one day and if I do, I’ll probably use a Shilen barrel. My cousin has a few of these and they’ve all shot well.

Right now he’s using McGowan and he’s been pleased with all but one of those. I put together an upper for a friend of mine with one and it’s very accurate. I think that’s 4 or 5 McGowan barrels that all shot well except one and it had a chamber problem I think.

Lots of decent barrels out there but I don’t hear too much about these two on here.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
I may need to build another precision upper one day and if I do, I’ll probably use a Shilen barrel. My cousin has a few of these and they’ve all shot well.

Right now he’s using McGowan and he’s been pleased with all but one of those. I put together an upper for a friend of mine with one and it’s very accurate. I think that’s 4 or 5 McGowan barrels that all shot well except one and it had a chamber problem I think.

Lots of decent barrels out there but I don’t hear too much about these two on here.

I've been surfing the web and there's a lot of people out there that love McGowen. They agree with you in that they are extremely accurate. As are Lothar Walther and Krieger. The problem with these is availability right now. I keep shaking my head here, as it seems like everything is on back order, and I mean everything!! I'd be all in for trying a fancy barrel, but don't really feel like waiting 12-16 weeks either. The only Shilen I've had was the WOA and it was alright for accuracy, but not my best shooter... Thanks for your feedback.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I know you have disagreed with me before about WOA barrels but I have one that is a 12 twist that will basically put 55 grainers through the same hole.
Another favorite as of late is an 8 twist 5R barrel from X-Caliber, shoots extremely well with most loads I have tried in it. both rifles have LAR billet uppers

btw: never had a bad Krieger but for some reason don't have one at present

Last edited by boatanchor; 04/16/21.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I go to my gunsmith if I want an accurate barrel.

Tell him parameters.

Could care less what the name is then. It will be up to him to gauge what I need.

If not, then I've yet to see many tubes that would not shoot MOA or right at it, at 100, I'm not sure how your OP got from MOA to MOA at 200 specifically but MOA is the same of course. But further out it does take more. IMHO.

The only tubes I've had "bad" luck with were Douglas. They all were MOA. And just under. as I recall, with one bullet or another. But I wasn't after MOA...

When there is panic I just quit buying, thats when crap slips out the door typically, especially buying from on line places and even brownells kind of things,. Barrels that should have been culled don't get.

Enough years ago the company LR... used Walther tubes IIRC. I'd had a couple and wasn't overly impressed. Especially for the cost. Then found that for guns they assembled totally the cull rate on Walther tubes was between 30-40 percent. So you really never know. But then again both Walthers we had were MOA tubes.

If you go with a known smith, he will already be using what works best for him, and he may have a couple of brands. Or he will say I won't use the brand you want me to etc...

While I say its the barrel thats the accurate part, and it is, the best can be screwed up with a guy on a lathe that has no clue what half a ten thousandth is... And a tomato stake screwed on straight won't be all that bad either....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If you want "The Best" AR barrel, this is who you call:

https://www.rockymountainrifleworks.com/

Tell him exactly what you want and he'll make it for you. Single point, rifle cut.

He'll ask you to send him the upper so he can match the barrel extension to it.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by TWR

I've been surfing the web and there's a lot of people out there that love McGowen. They agree with you in that they are extremely accurate. As are Lothar Walther and Krieger. The problem with these is availability right now. I keep shaking my head here, as it seems like everything is on back order, and I mean everything!! I'd be all in for trying a fancy barrel, but don't really feel like waiting 12-16 weeks either. The only Shilen I've had was the WOA and it was alright for accuracy, but not my best shooter... Thanks for your feedback.

I have one barrel with a different name on it built of a McGowen blank. It's a good shooter.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My current AR has a 16" Ballistic Advantage barrel and is capable of shooting this at 4 shot group 300 yards. Should have been 5, but I was trying to confirm BDC marks and ended up with 4 rounds for this target. I may be wrong, but I don't consider BA to be top tier barrels.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
craddock precision (Bartlien blanks)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I consider Bartlien cut rifled barrels to be the best available right now, chambered by either Craddock Precision or CLE...............but I don't have any of them.

I do have a Kreiger (on a factory KAC), a couple of Rock Creek's chambered by Craddock Precision, a couple of WOA's, a couple of Ranier UltraMatch MOD2's (Criterion SS), & 3 Rise Armament SS & they are shoot very, very well, so the reason that I don't have any Bartlein's is the additional cost, the fact that all the ones I listed shoot extremely well & I likely could not shoot the difference that the Bartlein might make for me.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scoony
My current AR has a 16" Ballistic Advantage barrel and is capable of shooting this at 4 shot group 300 yards. Should have been 5, but I was trying to confirm BDC marks and ended up with 4 rounds for this target. I may be wrong, but I don't consider BA to be top tier barrels.

I have two BA barrels and I'm not disappointed in either one. I got a good barrel for a fair price.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
A lot of great info guys. Thanks. Scoony, that looks like a great barrel. I've heard BA barrels are very good for the money. Its probably like everything in the barrel world though, sometimes you get an excellent one, sometimes a good one and sometimes a not so good. Finding a company that makes excellent barrels consistently can be done, but you pay out the nose for them. I like getting lucky like you did with that one. Good score. Those 77 SMK bullets sure do shoot nice, in my experience.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just put an 18inch SPR BA barrel on my daughters AR that had a 1-9 twist 5.56 barrel. Went and shot it today put a 1-4 swfa scope on it. Shot some 77 smk out of it. I’m sure with a better trigger I can shrink the groups. But pretty happy with it, paid $189 for it at the lgs.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Have any of you used Odin Works barrels?

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by kingston

I have one. It's the one I referenced above make from a McGowan blank

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I just put an 18inch SPR BA barrel on my daughters AR that had a 1-9 twist 5.56 barrel. Went and shot it today put a 1-4 swfa scope on it. Shot some 77 smk out of it. I’m sure with a better trigger I can shrink the groups. But pretty happy with it, paid $189 for it at the lgs.

That's pretty good buddy. If it's a shooter, you can't beat that price. Now you realize, using 77 SMK's is like cheating though.. Ha ha..

I bought these the last time I went to Winnemucca.. Not a bad deal..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by kingston

I have one. It's the one I referenced above make from a McGowan blank

A lot of guys like Odin works. I believe they are one of the better manufactures putting out 6 ARC barrels.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
My Stag Arms (circa 2006) shoots 1MOA, Sig M400 also shoots 1MOA, but both are super picky about ammo in terms of accuracy. Mispec stuff in either is typically 3MOA. Have an Accuracy Systems Inc barrel out of Byers, CO that shoots 1/2MOA, this is a 24" full bull barrel with Wylde chamber. Shoots about everything under an 1.5", needs match ammo to wring out 1/2" groups. My old National Match AR with 1996 Wilson 20" barrel shot 1" groups with iron sights and 55gr once fired Black Hills FMJ's. Picked up a Christensen Arms AR and they have a MOA guarantee - soon to be verified. In my experience the chrome lined barrels are the least accurate and ammo plays a significant part in the accuracy equation. There's lots of crappy ammo on the shelves today.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 14 invisible), 1,756 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,701
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.