Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
dpd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I’ve tried baking the breast . Smothering it down in gravy . Even making soup out of the breast . As others have said, cut the breast into strips season with Tony ‘s creole seasoning , dip in egg and pet milk wash , roll in seasoned flour and deep fry . Throw the legs away . I’ve tried to slow cook them in gravy but you’ll need a chain saw to cut them up. At least that’s been my experience .

GB1

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Brined per Steven rinella’s recipe for at least 12hrs and cooked in a pellet grill at 250deg until 165 deg internal temp. Fairly simple rub of choice and I’d spray canola oil on the skin periodically to make a nice crisp skin. For a whole bird cook that is.

Breast only I’d cut it in strips and dip it in egg/milk then flour with seasoned salt and black pepper, back in egg/milk then back in flour mixture then fried.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Last one I killed, we sliced and fried the breast, slow-cookered the legs and thighs. Now with the insta-pot, we can brown and then pressure-cook the running gear. If it can make deer shanks tender, it can whip a turkey leg into shape. Gonna do domestic drumsticks tomorrow into turkey soup with homemade noodles. Wild legs will require some cooperation from the turkeys.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Made fajitas out of the the breast meat before, be sure to add a good bit of olive oil when marinading. I've done the thigh and legs in the crockpot and made shredded turkey, add some spice of your choosing, some liquid and cook on low all day. Eat as is or add bbq sauce if you're so inclined. You can cook the rest of the carcass down to make soup stock as well. Not taking and utilizing the thigh and leg meat is a total waste, they're perfectly good eating, even if the legs are a bit of work to separate the tendons from the meat.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There a bunch of ways to make ALL the parts of even an old gobbler very chewable and tasty. I get very weary of hearing how only the breasts are edible.

One of the basic methods many hunters never try is to age the field-dressed bird for at least a week in a refrigerator. They're usually better plucked, rather than skinned, and pluck easiest right after being killed, or after at least a week of fridge-aging.

You might try the field-care, meat-prep and recipes in Eileen Clarke's cookbook UPLAND BIRD COOKERY, www.riflesandrecipes.com.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This beats them all.

Look up Crockpot Crack Chicken recipes and substitute with turkey breasts. Its fantastic. Here's an example.

https://www.themagicalslowcooker.com/slow-cooker-crack-chicken/

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Or, soak them in diesel fuel for a day.
Won't make them any worse

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've found the best way to keep them moist when cooking the whole bird is to pluck and then submerge in my deep fryer. They still don't have good flavor as far as I'm concerned which is why I prefer to make them into speidies. Or just go buy a Butterball.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
inject the breast with tender quick salt,brown,sugar 1/4 cup each,add garlic powder 1 table spoon,2 table spoons of bacon fat all deluded in a quart jar half full of very hot water,stir then inject ,put turkey beast before injecting in a large bowl ,once injected cover and put in fridge for 3 to 4 days then just bake in oven or smoke tell done slowly never over 300, done when breast temp is 175. let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
JMHO but those who say the won’t use legs, thighs and wings from a turkey are just lazy. I’ll post recipes for wild rice & turkey soup and turkey noodle. Both use what many others waste. These soups result in a rich and robust soup stew that is amazing in its complexity. The last thing I would do with these more labor intensive parts is discard them. That’s just wrong in my opinion. I killed a game bird with quite desirable parts and I use them to create simple but unique soups from parts deserving of use. I’d post them now but.......I’m turkey hunting smile.
Later. Check back Monday or Tuesday.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pete53
inject the breast with tender quick salt,brown,sugar 1/4 cup each,add garlic powder 1 table spoon,2 table spoons of bacon fat all deluded in a quart jar half full of very hot water,stir then inject ,put turkey beast before injecting in a large bowl ,once injected cover and put in fridge for 3 to 4 days then just bake in oven or smoke tell done slowly never over 300, done when breast temp is 175. let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Geeze, will all that cover up the taste or will you still have to lick an ass hole for a couple hours after you eat it ?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This thread is making me hungry....and its after 11 pm here.

I've got three birds in the freezer and its a good thing they take time to thaw.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Made jerky with the last one. Will do that again.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TRnCO
I've always just taken the breasts and upper thigh meat, cubed it all into mouth sized cubes, dunk it in Cajun fish batter and deep fried them.

After trying for years to cook them in everyway imaginable this is how I ended up enjoyed wild turkey the best.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cook wild turkey like I do a goose...............put turkey in large pot, add seasoning, along with an old shoe. Cook until done, then throw turkey out, and eat shoe.

On a more serious note, I cut the breast off a turkey, and that's all. Cut into small pieces and deep fry. Only way I like it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The three way I really like mine are
1) cut them into nuggets, season batter and fry them
2) brine and put them in the crock pot with apple butter BBQ sauce and a little apple juice. Cook till internal temp of 165.
3) brine, smoke them for about 45 min. Put them in a alum. pan with Whittaker's BBQ sauce, cover and cook till 165 temp is reached.

These are in no order, I like all of them equal.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the OP idea of a pressure cooker if plucked and cooking whole. Have tried them deep fried, roasted, smoked and grilled. Not my preference.

We have butchered a lot of wild turkeys and have never had one roasted that was exceptional, edible yes, but not great.

The best ways I have found are to cube them and make soup or I grind them into burger. When ground into burger, it is very flexible.

Burgers, chili, soup, jerky, sausage....the list goes on. Can get very creative.

Arcus Venator
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Fried wild turkey, biscuits and gravy is awesome!!!

Holding onto anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other the person to die ......

"When I stand before God at the end of my life, I would hope that I would not have a single bit of talent left, and could say, "I used everything you gave me."

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Peanut butter and scuppernong jelly on dollar general white bread

On Sundays too

Gawd take spurs and beard, toss em a ditch. Same as woodchucks.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tried them a lot of ways. Cut the breast into strips, flour and fry is the best. Legs get boned and ground. They are really lean and dry out easily. Always found frying them was not only the best way but very tasty. Way more flavor then a tame turkey. Roasting or deep frying always turned out way too dry and sometimes like cardboard.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,500 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,135
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.