Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Two root tillers, the same size... one a DR tiller with the tines that rotate against the forward movement or a Troy Built tiller the same size that has the tines that rotate forward...

Cost is not a factor.

Which would you buy ?

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
BP-B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd buy a rear tine tiller, them front time tillers will beat you to death, but since money is not an option for you, I'd buy a tractor with a pto and get a tiller for the tractor.

Don't limit your challenges
Challenge your limits
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
in this case i doubt it makes a difference. i never heard of the counter rotating kind. i though the forward rotation was what what propelled it. if you want a tiller, i'd get an older troybuilt horse 8hp. if thats too much, go with a pony. whatever you get, make it a rear tine.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some tillers have counter-rotating tines, probably the best option. Bigger is better too if the garden is of any size. Just went through Hell getting a new one, as most are imported or have imported engines and ships are stacked up offshore due to trucking backlogs. The Cub tiller I ordered in December was nixed by an availability issue with the tines. Ordered a Troy Built from Home Depot, but it disappeared from tracking, and they cancelled the order because there were no more to be had. Finally found a smaller Craftsman, which is identical to a Troy Built Colt. It’s just barely up the task, but all I could find locally or online. My original backup plan for the Cub was a Honda, but those are still afloat as well.

Bottom line is you may not have much or any choice, so get what you can.

PS: The first Troy Built I ordered suddenly showed up in my driveway, long after my money was refunded. Now I know why it vanished; it had been dropped and the crate almost destroyed. Not sure what was inside, but it was rattling around loose. The express company came back and hauled it off.

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/16/21.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Get a rear tine tiller

IC B2

M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gutthooked
I'd buy a rear tine tiller, them front time tillers will beat you to death, but since money is not an option for you, I'd buy a tractor with a pto and get a tiller for the tractor.

I got one of them... 86hp with a 8' tiller.... I need something a little smaller....

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Yup. Gonna get a rear tine tiller for sure...
Originally Posted by hanco
Get a rear tine tiller

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a DR tow-behind tiller that I pull with a garden tractor. I don't recommend them. I've had numerous issues with it. It's not heavy duty enough and I've had broken metal parts that I've had to repair. They take a real beating from vibration. I'm pretty sure it's a rebranded Agri-Fab but I'm not positive.

One issue is that there's a bent 3/8" rod that's used to lift the tines (actually it lowers the wheels, lifting the entire tiller). It came with flimsy kotter pins in both ends holding it in place. The vibrations ate through the keys and let the rod drop out into the tines, turning it into a pretzel. I got a new rod and replaced the pins with heavier hairpin clips that I check regularly for damage.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a 3hp Merry tiller with front tines from 1979 to 1984.
I had a 6 hp Ariens tiller with rear tines from 1984 to 2000.

Now I am in the suburbs. I spent the day yesterday tilling with a rake.

Anything would be better than a rake.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rem141r
in this case i doubt it makes a difference. i never heard of the counter rotating kind. i though the forward rotation was what what propelled it. if you want a tiller, i'd get an older troybuilt horse 8hp. if thats too much, go with a pony. whatever you get, make it a rear tine.

The rear tines can be placed in Tine-neutral and have their own transmission so you can still ‘drive’ them to and from the shed

The rear tine units will also till in forward till motion but essentially the machine will run off and leave your grip and not really dig in. Thus counter rotating tines while the transmission progresses the whole machine forward makes it efficient.

Those archaic Front Tine machines will give you a good beating and shake down, you see them often at yardsales, folks can barely get $50 to $75 for them. No one wants them.

A rear tine unit when used for weekly cultivating chores, a man can simply walk beside them gently guiding with one hand.

IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
I thought try bilt was a reverse time type

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mikieb
Two root tillers, the same size... one a DR tiller with the tines that rotate against the forward movement or a Troy Built tiller the same size that has the tines that rotate forward...

Cost is not a factor.

Which would you buy ?

The BCS so I can use it for other schitt too.

BCS America

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
I just bought a cub cadet rear tine which can do both reverse tine and forward tine

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Old TroyBilt can be worn out and rebuilt for decades. Hand tools are all you need. It doesn't do as much as fast a newer designs. Harbor Freight will sell you a Predator Honda knock off engine to bolt on when the time comes.

I don't know Dr, but if you can find a used BCS or Grillo for the same money, don't hesitate. Also easy to live with and will be around a long time. Does more than TroyBilt in less time even though it is narrower. And being able to pick it up is much easier cthan needing ramps or jacks. Earthtools.com

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord

The rear tines can be placed in Tine-neutral and have their own transmission so you can still ‘drive’ them to and from the shed

The rear tine units will also till in forward till motion but essentially the machine will run off and leave your grip and not really dig in. Thus counter rotating tines while the transmission progresses the whole machine forward makes it efficient.

Those archaic Front Tine machines will give you a good beating and shake down, you see them often at yardsales, folks can barely get $50 to $75 for them. No one wants them.

A rear tine unit when used for weekly cultivating chores, a man can simply walk beside them gently guiding with one hand.

The one I ended up stuck with uses a drag bar to hold it back. Properly adjusted, it works as advertised and I can run it one-handed, more or less. Not as easy as a rear-tine, but do-able.

The Cub I ordered and never got had it all: Honda engine, F&R, rear tines. Might try again next year.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Troy Bilt now is owned and built by MTD.

don’t get suckered by a red paint and the name of a by-gone era.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by slumlord

The one I ended up stuck with uses a drag bar to hold it back. Properly adjusted, it works as advertised and I can run it one-handed, more or less. Not as easy as a rear-tine, but do-able.

The Cub I ordered and never got had it all: Honda engine, F&R, rear tines. Might try again next year.

Lots of clay and rocks here, I see people having a hard time with them. Probably be alright in some built up garden spots with duff, organic matter or loamy, sandy soil horizons.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a Husqvarna rear tine tiller with a Honda engine, and it's the cat's meow for most garden jobs. The gears allow you reverse the direction of the tines so you can either heavy till or light till. I've still got my old front tine tiller that I've had for 25 years, and use it only to lay off my rows.

Also have a 4 foot 3 point hitch tiller that I can use on a little tractor if I want to do a lot of tilling.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I used to have a Pony, the 3hp one. It had forward rotating tines that made it useless in anything other than soft soil. If it hit anything even slightly hard, it would jump out of the ground and bounce over it. It was a miserable thing to use. It was easier to just use a shovel and spade the ground.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The biggest thing I see problem and complaint wise is people using tillers for gungho, new ground breaking of a garden spot.

I used my tilers for spring work-ins of compost and fertilzers, and for weekly weed cultivation/maintenance between rows.

But, ya know if you dont have access to a tractor for the initial groundbreaking, you just have to take your lumps. BTDT.

I had a crazy dope head cousin wanted to borrow one of machines to try and find the lid to his septic tank. hell naw

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
748 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 86 invisible), 2,759 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.