Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I mounted a straight tubed Vortex Strike Eagle on my flat top (picatinny rail) Colt AR using a "riser" in order to get over the front sight (yes I know it "disappears"at higher magnifications). So placing the scope on 1X, I more or less centered the X hairs so they sit just atop the front sight post (I don't have a laser boresighter), so my question is; can I expect to at least be on paper at 25 yards and if so, high or low? Thanks in advance.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
ARIC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tried shooting irons through a variable optic once and could see the irons and target, but was off paper at 25.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, thanks. Hoping I'm close.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Bore sighting an AR is so easy. Just do it and call it good. And I don't use anything but the bore to bore sight.... even did it on thermal scopes and it works with them.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
TY.

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
How tall is the riser? How tall are the mounts?

There’s about a million threads here that talk about mounting a scope on an AR by using a cantilever type mount instead of using rings and risers.

There’s so many variables in your question, it is impossible to answer.

With the 30mm tube any of the 1.4” mounts like an ADM Recon or LaRue LT 104 will put the crosshairs above your front sight post but if you want it to be higher, you’ll need at least a 1.93” mount. Any higher than that and you’ll be shooting with a chin weld.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Centering it on the front sight will not guarantee it's on paper at 25 yards. That would only apply if the center of optic is exactly in the same plane as the imaginary line between the rear and front sight.

You can easily bore sight it at home. Take the bolt and charging handle out of the gun. Rest the rifle firmly on a set of sand bags or similar. Look through the barrel from the breach end and center an inanimate object about 100 yards away in the center of the barrel. Do not move the rifle. Look through the scope and adjust the cross hairs so they are centered on the same inanimate object. To move the cross hairs right, you'll have to turn the windage turret left (it's backwards from a typical sight in procedure.) You'll figure it out. Just get the cross hairs centered on the same object as what's visible in the barrel. Reassemble the gun and you're bore sighted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd take the scope off and break out the sawzall on the front tower, then put the scope back on.

Politics is War by Other Means
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
.92" height on the mount Weaver medium skeleton mounts. I am well aware on how to bore sight it, I was just looking for someone who had a more or less rig and their experiences.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
.92 plus the mount? Or .92 to center of scope?

Either way the center of the scope needs to be 1.4” high to clear the post.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bore sight as rost495 said, rock on, takes 5 minutes, including pinning up the target.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Bore sight as rost495 said, rock on, takes 5 minutes, including pinning up the target.

MM

Bore sighting and sighting in are simple as fuq. I'm surprised more people don't do it... Just sayin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't see why not. But you'll want to zero the irons and the optic separately because due to possible imperfections in your optic mounting system verses the irons, they might not co-witness.

I recently mounted a PA prism ACSS on mine and without mechanical zeroing or otherwise messing with the adjustments it was only 6" low and 3" L at 50yrds. I just walked it in with PMC Bronze FMJ and fine tuned with our duty load, Hornady TAP.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It's done. works as well as an AR can shoot groups at 100 yards.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
333 members (160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 35 invisible), 2,010 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,962
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.