Page 19 of 24 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 23 24
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by jwp475

Perfect example of negligent homicide. Definitely an accident and unintentional

Do you feel like jail is the right place for that driver?

What has "feel" got to do with it?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Agree or disagree doesn't change the law

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Agree or disagree doesn't change the law

Thanks for that captain obvious. Do you believe sending that driver to jail was the right thing to do?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

You are dumb as a brick. You accidentally miss seeing a stop sign and kill someone, you have committed negligent homicide

There are certain things the law presumes, as a matter of public policy, that folks are always obliged to take note of. Stops signs, red lights, etc. (unless obstructed by overgrown bushes, etc..). You accept that as a condition of your drivers license. That's not comparable to a mistake of fact defense scenario.

Your honor, when my client clobbered his wife over the head with a Louisville Slugger, he thought it was a Nerf product.

MISTAKE OF FACT!

What is a red herring Alex?

Sure it is.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

What has "feel" got to do with it?

I want to know if on a human level he believes jail is the right thing for that diver. It's a curiosity, that's all.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Therefore, the "mistake of favt" defense will be of no relevance when a 26 year police office doesn't know the difference between a taser and a pistol , this is a clear case of negligent homicide hence the charge of 2nd degree manslaughter

Okay, so you're asserting that she actually knew it was a Glock, not a Taser, and that she secretly intended to murder the arrestee, and just added the comments about him being about to be Tasered in order to plant exculpatory evidence into the record. That's a sound theory, but you'd need some evidence for it.

Your theory that she did in fact know the difference, at the time of the shooting, between her Glock and her Taser, of course, totally negates your negligent homicide theory. You realize that, right? If she actually knew the difference at that moment, then yours is just a plain old first degree murder theory, not a negligent homicide theory.

My assertion is that after 26 years of on the job training she was negligent. Any reasonable person with 26 years should know the location of their taser and their pistol on their belt. To not know is negligent

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

What I "feel" is irrelevant. We are discussing LAW here, not "feelings".

Now, had the driver an IQ somewhere above 90, and the means to hire a lawyer, instead of depending on God and a public defender in a poor rural county to defend him, he probably would have never seen the inside of the jail cell.

But no one ever pretended to believe the world was not affected of a two tier justice system.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Now, had the driver an IQ somewhere above 90, and the means to hire a lawyer, instead of depending on God and a public defender in a poor rural county to defend him, he probably would have never seen the inside of the jail cell.

But no one ever pretended to believe the world was not affected of a two tier justice system.

Nailed it

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I want to know if on a human level he believes jail is the right thing for that diver. It's a curiosity, that's all.

Apparently a jury of his peers thought so, and most likely the relatives of the dead would too.

If they were my relatives I would have been keen on capital punishment as well.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My assertion is that after 26 years of on the job training she was negligent. Any reasonable person with 26 years should know the location of their taser and their pistol on their belt. To not know is negligent

Not in the criminal sense. In the tortious sense, yes.

The reason it's not negligent in the criminal sense (as in negligent homicide) is that there was zero mens rea in evidence. All the evidence points to a momentary confusion in the midst of an exigent circumstance.

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Feelings are for liberals!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I am discussing beliefs as well.I entered into this conversation asking "Should this cop be jailed for what seems pretty obviously an accident?" I well know the law allows it, but is it the right thing to do?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

The reason it's not negligent in the criminal sense (as in negligent homicide) is that there was zero mens rea in evidence. All the evidence points to a momentary confusion in the midst of an exigent circumstance.

Where is the Mens Rea in the case of the driver of the station wagon?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

In the criminal sense it is also and I'll make a prediction and that is "mistake of fact" will not be used by her lawyer at the trial

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

"The Model Penal Code recognizes four different levels of mens rea: purpose (same as intent), knowledge, recklessness and negligence."

Notice the word "NEGLIGENCE "

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I

I am discussing beliefs as well.I entered into this conversation asking "Should this cop be jailed for what seems pretty obviously an accident?" I well know the law allows it, but is it the right thing to do?

It is if it saves just one child!

Better put, if her incarceration forces just one cop who is no more suited to the job than is this inept female, to reconsider his/her career choice, and gets him/her off the street, then yes, it is the right thing to do.

Can you spell...run on sentence?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

People are wrongly jailed and imprisoned all the time. This is why trial court verdicts are not used in legal arguments. They don't set legal precedent. For that, we use the highest appellate decisions for each case only.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

People are wrongly jailed and imprisoned all the time. This is why trial court verdicts are not used in legal arguments. They don't set legal precedent. For that, we use the highest appellate decisions for each case only.

The Model Penal Code recognizes four different levels of mens rea: purpose (same as intent), knowledge, recklessness and negligence.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

In the criminal sense it is also and I'll make a prediction and that is "mistake of fact" will not be used by her lawyer at the trial

So you don't believe the defense will claim that she mistook her Glock for her Taser? You could be right. There is no obligation on the part of the defense to make any defensive claim whatsoever. I think you're wrong, though. At some point it will be part of the defense.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

"The Model Penal Code recognizes four different levels of mens rea: purpose (same as intent), knowledge, recklessness and negligence."

Notice the word "NEGLIGENCE "

Sure, but it has a different definition when used in the criminal context, such as when it's an element in criminal negligence. It pretty much amounts to recklessness.

"Criminal negligence refers to conduct in which a person ignores a known or obvious risk, or disregards the life and safety of others. Federal and state courts describe this behavior as a form of recklessness, where the person acts significantly different than an ordinary person under similar circumstances."

Page 19 of 24 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 23 24

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

618 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12344mag, 163bc, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,734
Posts18,457,547
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.