Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
JB: question...did you have any issues with the 17 fireball feeding in the M700 Remington?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
After being intrigued by the round for many years, I finally got one this year. Worked out a trade with a local guy who bought a new Rem 700 VSF and only put a dozen or so rounds through it. Came with 200 rounds of ammo and it shoots the factory remington ammo into 5/8" groups. I've gotten some more brass, dies and bullets but have not tried to reload for it yet, just finished up a large batch of .204 for a prairie dog hunt and when I get back I plan to try loading up some .17FB....thanks for the post, you've inspired me!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Don't be afraid to use your 17 FB on prairie dogs. I'll be using mine next week.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Psdan000: Good for you on that acquisition!
That is a rare and desirable combination/configuration.
Back when the 17 Remington Fireball first came out (2,007) I purchased a new Remington 700 VSF in that caliber and mounted a Leupold 6x18 power variable scope on it.
This Rifle/scope/caliber combo is ONE of my all time favorites!
And that, is saying something.
Back then only factory ammunition was available (no brass) and I bought five boxes to get me started with barrel break-in, sight-in and fireforming brass.
That factory ammunition (Remington 20 grain Accu-Tips) was SO accurate in my Rifle that eventually I was just barely able to best that original accuracy with 25 grain Bergers and my most carefully crafted handloads!
Over 10 days (wind kept coming up there in early April 2,007) I fired 4 five shot groups with that factory ammo, at 100 yards, to settle that Rifle in after sight in.
Those 4 groups measured .533", .586", .579" and 1.064". That last group had a called first shot flyer and the other four shots in that group measured .541".
I hope you enjoy and have as much fun/success with your 17 Fireball VSF as I have had with mine.
And be sure to try the wonderful 25 grain Berger bullets in your 17 Fireball.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Was looking at some data for the 221 Furball for Hand Guns yesterday I found in an old Hodgdon # 26 Manual I have had for a long time.

I'm going to have to run me down some H 110 and Enforcer powder. This was Encores, single shot barrels.

When the barrel gets here, hopefully before the end of time.. I'm putting together a Savage Axis Action picked up in 350 Legend.... that I have ordered a 17 Furball barrel for it... 18 inches and the same contour as the 350 Legend barrel...it'll be my first barrel from Shilen. but the rifle in the Legend, seems about the right combo for a mobile field varmint rifle., it just needs the right caliber of barrel on it.

As usual I was told to expect a 3 to 5 month wait... I don't "expect" any crap like that... we just have to put up with it if we want the barrel.

Did the one in 9 twist on it. That works out like I hope, that contour and barrel length, I was thinking of also doing a 222 Vartag Turbo barrel.

also looking at getting the stuff to make 221 Fireball out of 223, and then neck it down to 17... but for an experiment right out of the chute, and going to try using Russian Steel 223 that has a regular primer in it... I picked up like 60 rounds of it over at the range. Steel Case 17 Fireball... How's that for getting a little crazy?

My ship finally came in from RCBS after they managed to mis type my address and our local Post Office couldn't figure out Rewood Ave, was actually Redwood Ave.. which is a major US Route thru here....had my 17 F/L sizer die reamed out, and had 5 or 6 inserts , so I don't have to use the expander barrel and decapping pin in it. Made myself a decapping Die , from a Lee 17 Decapping pin from a Hornet, and an old Lee 30/30 die. I also had asked them to send me a Polished Decapping Pin /Expander Ball for my other RCBS die.... they tried sending it multiple times, with misspelling Redwood Ave, and once I corrected that, now I have 8 of them.

Took 6 weeks, but it looks like I am starting to get into business here.... and so Cliff, If you need your Hornady set back or want to sell it, let me know my friend.. I appreciate the loan of it. A LOT.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My pleasure John. I'll pm you.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got a new die set delivered in the mail from CH4D....yeah, they are still in business..
had some in stock, and it got here in like 3 days via the post office...

$161.00 delivered... OUCH...

for speed freaks, I saw a die set for the same price on their web site.. actually two of them...

17/ 250 or a 17/ Swift....

If I made up a 17 Swift, I think I'd call it Puff the Magic Dragon....watch the bullets go Puff right out of the barrel...

bet that would be a throat burner.....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's been a few years but when I went shopping for 17-22/250 dies that were "in stock", they weren't and there was an 18 month lead time and unknown cost.

LOL
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well Roy, check ot CH4D and see if they have a set...in stock.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My fat fingers keep me from fooling with the 17 caliber centerfires, they were an issue with the 204 Ruger I had. Just remember all this frustration is what looneyism is all about, the longer it takes you to get it right the longer it takes to go on to the next project.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by ingwe
JB: question...did you have any issues with the 17 fireball feeding in the M700 Remington?

Ingwe I just noticed your post and am wondering if you are still having feeding issues or did you figure them out. I ask because my M7 wouldn’t feed when I got it. Dave

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rickt300
My fat fingers keep me from fooling with the 17 caliber centerfires, they were an issue with the 204 Ruger I had. Just remember all this frustration is what looneyism is all about, the longer it takes you to get it right the longer it takes to go on to the next project.

Too many moving parts for ya? whistle

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by ackleydave
Originally Posted by ingwe

Ingwe I just noticed your post and am wondering if you are still having feeding issues or did you figure them out. I ask because my M7 wouldn’t feed when I got it. Dave

Actually I dont have a .17 fireball or feeding issues.

Im shooting .17 Rem with no issues...but have sure considered the Fireball....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have more than one of 17rem and 17 FB. both are great on PDs. The FB is a little light on coyotes, unless you have a perfect shot opportunity, meaning broadside, or facing at sub 200 yards. At least that’s my experience.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by rickt300

Too many moving parts for ya? whistle

Hah! I have big hands, my trigger finger is as big around as most peoples thumbs. It was great for boxing in college but trying to keep a small bullet straight on top of a short necked case long enough to let it go in the seater can be a lot of trouble. My newest press makes it even harder as the die doesn't in most cases extend down far enough to clear the press itself.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So Rick,

you're evidently a 50 BMG kinda guy then?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Seafire
So Rick,

you're evidently a 50 BMG kinda guy then?

Well I did once own one, didn't reload for it. It was not a lot of fun to shoot more than a couple of times. Traded it off for a boat. I'd say I'm more of a 7x57/30-06 guy but lately I have been shooting a lot of 308 based cartridges. In fact I need to load all my 260 brass up again with it's "summer" load. Summer load for me means something that works for feral hogs and coyotes with a few raccoons thrown in. All done night hunting.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
What bullet weight does your summer load use Rick?

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by dale06
I have more than one of 17rem and 17 FB. both are great on PDs. The FB is a little light on coyotes, unless you have a perfect shot opportunity, meaning broadside, or facing at sub 200 yards. At least that’s my experience.

Whats your favorite bullet/load in the .17 Rem?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
What bullet weight does your summer load use Rick?

The Speer 90 grain TNT loaded to around 2900 fps.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (1234, 160user, 12344mag, 204guy, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 59 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,618
Posts18,454,995
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.