S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
What bullet weight does your summer load use Rick?

The Speer 90 grain TNT loaded to around 2900 fps.

Two thumbs up on that.. except the shooting the raccoons part.... I'm a PETA guy only when it comes to Raccoons... yeah, I think they are cute...
especially baby ones...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ever watch an old boar try to drown a dog?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
naw Cliff, I've seen quite a few things in life... but that one has eluded me...

Raccoons are tough little bastards, I do know that...

saw two tear up a coyote once that was trying to have them for lunch...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I don’t doubt that for a minute.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
What bullet weight does your summer load use Rick?

The Speer 90 grain TNT loaded to around 2900 fps.

Two thumbs up on that.. except the shooting the raccoons part.... I'm a PETA guy only when it comes to Raccoons... yeah, I think they are cute...
especially baby ones...

Suppose their numbers became outragous? My game cameras often show 8-12 of them in one picture. No deer will lower it's head among that many 30+ pound Raccoons. This and they will clean every kernel of corn up shortly. They are smart little fuggers too, often getting on both sides of my 15 gallon barrel hog toys and rocking them back and forth to shake the corn out doing it in relays. Hog toy gets empty pretty fast. On one of my leases they would dig holes through the plywood floor of the cabin and just flat destroy everything they could and crap/piss on everything else. I probably shoot thirty or more a year and last year I trapped that many. Seeming to no effect on the population.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well Rick, I can relate to your experiences of dealing with the downside of any animal....in my world it is ground squirrels and gophers and moles..

We live off of what use to be a golf course.... there were millions on my property when I moved in... last two summers I almost eradicated them, with a 17 HMR... neighbor's property is 15 acres on part of what use to be the golf course... he has millions of holes over there that are as big around as my thigh is .

these things can evidently have 3 litters during a season, with up to 24 little ones per litter...I killed 10 this morning, after I had the scopes zero changed back.
I leave it one spot to get to it quickly in the garage, but I live in a house that NO ONE ever touches a thing of mine... must have been the spiders that knocked it over, or moved it and forced the scope zero to change...things move themselves, disappear then re appear on their own....

So yeah, I understand the need to eliminate pests, and I don't hold against someone who shoots the little buggers..

yeah I am guilty of liking certain animals...hate cats, many people love them... I love Dogs, I have more use for most dogs I meet than most people I meet anymore...especially when ya live in a state overrun with California transplants who left CA because they hated it, but then want to know why Oregon isn't like the nice things about CA that they miss...

Tell ya what, we'll take one raccoon off your hands if you take 3 Californians off our hands.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hah! Boy is that a losing deal. You run your own Calicommies off and I will do what I can with my raccoon population! Probably going to have to start dealing with the illegal immigrant issue where I live and soon.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

96 members (44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 358WCF, 673, 13 invisible), 1,568 guests, and 850 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,658
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.