Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
The biggest thing I see problem and complaint wise is people using tillers for gungho, new ground breaking of a garden spot.

I used my tilers for spring work-ins of compost and fertilzers, and for weekly weed cultivation/maintenance between rows.

But, ya know if you dont have access to a tractor for the initial groundbreaking, you just have to take your lumps. BTDT.

I had a crazy dope head cousin wanted to borrow one of machines to try and find the lid to his septic tank. hell naw

Right. To do it right, you need to break new ground with a turning plow. I always do that, and in the fall, after harvesting everything, I'll either plow my garden spots with a bottom plow or a chisel. That way, the ground drys faster in the spring, allowing you to plant sooner.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tiller snob

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
If it wasn’t for the damn deer, I could disc mine with tractor, but I have a fence around mine, no tractor room. See what kind of cshit I have to put up with in my yard. They eat most plants or the blooms. They don’t fuuck with jalapeños or squash, can grow them outside of garden. Tomatoes or cucumbers, forget it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by hanco; 04/16/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Troy Bilt now is owned and built by MTD.

don’t get suckered by a red paint and the name of a by-gone era.

Correct, if you want a real Troybuilt you need to buy an older used one, pre 2001.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by rem141r
in this case i doubt it makes a difference. i never heard of the counter rotating kind. i though the forward rotation was what what propelled it. if you want a tiller, i'd get an older troybuilt horse 8hp. if thats too much, go with a pony. whatever you get, make it a rear tine.

The rear tines can be placed in Tine-neutral and have their own transmission so you can still ‘drive’ them to and from the shed

The rear tine units will also till in forward till motion but essentially the machine will run off and leave your grip and not really dig in. Thus counter rotating tines while the transmission progresses the whole machine forward makes it efficient.

Those archaic Front Tine machines will give you a good beating and shake down, you see them often at yardsales, folks can barely get $50 to $75 for them. No one wants them.

A rear tine unit when used for weekly cultivating chores, a man can simply walk beside them gently guiding with one hand.

ya you're right. i actually forgot how mine works. shows how much i use it. i went over to raised beds about 10 years ago and haven't used mine in a long time.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Hell ......the front tine tiller I have bought it used in 1973 at a garage sale had to put a new engine on it one from Harbor Freight 6 HP on it in 2001....been painted 2 times don't even remember what brand it is.....
Bottom line with a front tine type if you fight it .....it will pull twice as hard jerking you ....if you know what you are doing you can run one with one hand and let the tiller do the work....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've beat the snot out of a rear tine Poulan (snicker all you want). Its rear tine, rotation is against the direction of travel.

Trying to break new ground with it sucks, so I make junior do that.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Once the ground is broken, its a one handed operation for cultivation purposes, until I get straw spread and put it up for the year.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mikieb
Two root tillers, the same size... one a DR tiller with the tines that rotate against the forward movement or a Troy Built tiller the same size that has the tines that rotate forward...

Cost is not a factor.

Which would you buy ?
New Troy Bilt's suck ass. I have no idea about the DR, so that's what I'd get if limited to those two choices. I have an Earthquake which is an import and its been very good thus far.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I've beat the snot out of a rear tine Poulan (snicker all you want). Its rear tine, rotation is against the direction of travel.

Trying to break new ground with it sucks, so I make junior do that.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Once the ground is broken, its a one handed operation for cultivation purposes, until I get straw spread and put it up for the year.
That's a damned big tiller. I wouldn't sneeze at that at all.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Great breed of dog. Descended from Roman war dogs. Oh, Rototiller. Never mind.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IA_fog
I thought try bilt was a reverse time type

Not all of them

"Chances Will Be Taken"

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If cost is truly not a factor BCS is by a very wide margin the best there is. Would rather have one of them than every troybilt ever made. The big box store brands that have the tines which can be switched in either direction is second best. Troybilt is waaay overrated and over priced.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I like rear time ones that can rotate the tines backwards. They seem to dig better. I've rented both types and the ones that the tines only go forward are harder to get to dig deep. If the wheels will drive forward while the tines turn backwards they dig and till well while just creeping forward.

Bb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want the best and most torque buy a Merry International tiller . It will till a 38 inch path .

Troy-built aint what they used to be ....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rear tine with counter-rotating tines. Chews up anything.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.