Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15999815 04/16/21
B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Wondering if anyone has a DVD copy of Leroy Shebals my Alaska they would let go of.?

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have it on my computer. I think I can burn a dvd but it’s been forever since I’ve done it. I’ll see if I can.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
That would be much appreciated

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have it somewhere also, let me see if I can find it. One of my favorite hunting videos of all time. Might be the best. We recognized some of the hills on their goat hunt out in PWS. Ever pack a goat and a black bear out on a stiff pack frame with everything in a gunny sack? Me neither. I've flown with Harley Mcmahan, is dad was one of the wolf pilots in the video. His brother still does predator control work out of a supercub in unit 13 up until the last I knew, about 2009.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buster Shebal, he was quite the guy!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've shown that film to a bunch of people and they all were like "I didn't realize you can just go hunt whatever you want whenever you want. Had to explain the video was shot before Alaska was a state and I pointed them to our current regs to show how different it is.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I saw the Shebals when I was a kid and they presented the film in our local auditorium in MN.

Their films left a lasting impression on this kid.

I'd like to buy a copy if someone can get it onto a disk.......I have a disk duplicator.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Vern my favorite part of it was watching the women try to run the old elans and the commentary.......haha! Or when Leroy was waiting for the wife to get her chit together to go hammer some lakers. Classic

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the copy I have is buried in my crap in storage, that I need to go get. Yet another reason to go dig it all out

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good old Alaska times.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have it I must be too incompetent as an operator to get it burned onto a disc. I’ll keep trying.

Last edited by mart; 04/17/21.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mart if you would entrust your disk to me to review I'll be able to return it.

Or I can walk you through it

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
This could turn into a group buy.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Mart if you would entrust your disk to me to review I'll be able to return it.

Or I can walk you through it

I only have it on my computer. Trying to figure out how to burn it on to a disk but my computer is a dinosaur, windows 8. I know I've done it before but it has been years since I've done it. It may be the burner doesn't work any more.

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I would definitely be willing to pay whoever can come up with it. That video is THE BEST ! I love so much about it, what a different world back then...

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yeah, make a bunch and I'd buy one for sure.

An unashamed bitter/clinger/deplorable
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Maybe someone could put it up on YouTube
I would love to see it

M
M
I remember shopping at Shebal's gun shop in the '60's. The Fairbanks '67 flood caused them a lot of damage and I think that they were closed down by the early '70's. LeRoy Shebal was a great guy. I remember him at the gun shop and he shot trap at the local club.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Posting on YouTube would be great, could be easier than burning it to disk if you have a account.
It could be copyrighted and protected but some similar videos seem to be able to stay posted on TY, worth a try anyway.

The following is from Amazon, it's not currently available for sale but the images could help jog Hanks memory while he digs through his storage for his copy. The only review it had is loaded with helpful information for anyone searching the depths on the internet for a copy somewhere.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

David R Allen

This Is My Alaska (1969) documentary by Alaska hunter guide Leroy Shebal made outside the Hollywood/ NYC media system by a loner
Reviewed in the United States on November 4, 2012
This Is My Alaska (1969) documentary by Alaska hunter guide Leroy Shebal made outside the Hollywood/ NYC media system by a loner of great talent.

This documentary movie about Alaska was released in 1969, and worked personally with its creator, Leroy Shebal, to publicize the movie in San Francisco Bay, California area movie houses.

I was a regional (SF CA USA) movie publicist in 1969 and created a local publicity tour of San Francisco California area newspaper writers, local TV and radio talk shows, and private publicity screenings to promote then new This Is My Alaska (1969) filmed in 16 mm color movie film and blown up into a 35 mm print version and shown all over the USA in major cities and movie markets by the man who made the movie, a go-getter Alaska based master hunter quite of fame, Leroy Shebal.

I spent three days with Mr. Shebal, and provide memories below of him and promotion of his movie.

The movie itself is/ was an interesting if rough around the edges look at rural Alaska, the hunting of White Dall Sheep there, and provided wonderful scenery of wide open spaces and mountain hunting areas in 1960's Alaska.

Leroy "Buster" Shebal's 16 mm movie footage was made into a feature length movie documentary, and Leroy Shebal contracted with local movie house owners all over the USA in 1969 to show it, and also paid to have the movie publicized in San Francisco, California, and probably in other major USA cities.

Below is information of interest about all that I share with all interested in This Is My Alaska (1969), a movie all interested in Alaska should obtain (still sold on Amazon.Com) and screen often. It's rough and not smooth, but that's true about Alaska, and perhaps, that's the first lesson all who consider Alaska must learn...the most important lesson!

Leroy Shebal died in 2003 at age 79.

I met him in 1969 in San Francisco California when he was 45 years old, and I was then a 25 year old movie publicist working for the Jack Wodell Associates Movie Public Relations And Advertising Company located then at 582 Market St. (corner of Montgomery St.), San Francisco.

Shebal was then touring the USA and promoting his documentary movie (now available for purchase from Amazon.Com) titled THIS IS MY ALASKA (1969).

He hired SF CA Bay area movie publicity from Jack Wodell Agency, and I was assigned to create and accompany him on a personal publicity tour lasting about 3 days in which he was interviewed by SF CA area newspaper movie writers and reviewers, local TV talk show and radio personalities.....

I also set up a private screening of THIS IS MY ALASKA (1969) for SF CA area major movie reviewers (about 5 reviewers), and as second screening for small newspaper movie reviewers (about 40 reviewers).

I'll always remember Mr. Shebal.

The agency I worked for was mostly hired by major Hollywood movie studios which sent movie stars and other celebrities to SF CA for regional movie publicity tours and paid a lot of money to keep them happy and promote the movies they were part of properly.

This always included money paid to the best SF CA hotels and restaurants, limousine hiring, sometimes call girls hired to service weary traveling male movie stars and others....all paid for back then by corporate movie studio people.

Most movie publicity tours the Wodell Agency handled were very elegant and expensive.

Leroy Shebal engaged the Wodell Agency (and my services as an employee publicist there in 1969) without realizing the big time company he became part of.

He did his publicity tour on a budget, used a rented car he drove himself rather than a hired limousine to go from publicity location to publicity location (radio stations, TV stations, newspaper offices, the SF private screening room then located in the "Film Row" area of SF CA).

He was a pleasant but rough around the edges person with a "wilderness personality" I remember well and admired....for him, the entire SF CA movie publicity tour and the TV and radio stations and newspaper locations he visited were unusual and exotic, certainly as much as places he photographed in Alaska and guided hunters into.

He was very rugged and fit looking, but wore eyeglasses as did his wife, Vivian (not part of the tour, didn't accompany him, but seen in the THIS IS MY ALASKA [1969] movie as his "co-star."

That was 45 years ago, and I write this in 2012 at age 68.

I researched his name in Google.Com and came up with his 2003 Obituary from a major San Diego/ Southern California newspaper, the NORTH COUNTY NEWS.

"Leroy 'Buster' Shebal :

Leroy "Buster" Shebal, 79, passed away on Sunday, September 14, 2003, while visiting Seward, Alaska, with his wife, Jane. "He suffered a heart attack.

"The movies Leroy took on hunting and fishing trips were eventually turned into a full length feature film that was shown in theaters across the United States. It was later released in VHS format under the title "This Is My Alaska."

Written by Tex Allen, SAG-AFTRA movie actor.

Promotional Movie Poster

[Linked Image from fffmovieposters.com]

B
BCJR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
personally I would prefer to have a copy, f#$k youtube...thats just me though....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
748 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 84 invisible), 2,773 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.