Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My 'big' truck is a 2006 F250, automatic. Trailer loaded down with horses/mules, top of Monarch Pass in Colorado, tap the brakes at the peak one time, and never touch the brakes again all the way down. That is a 15 year old truck, I'm sure the newer ones have even better engine braking.

That said, I do miss a manual for just putzing around. My commuter car is a Honda Civic, 5 speed manual. Driving it is second nature, don't even think about it as being any kind of inconvenience.

GB2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Minneapolis based daughter traded in her Honda Civic and after the deal was done, the dealer hadn’t realized that it was a stick. Not a big seller in the big city.

‘Ol Blue was my trip truck with a five speed, but none of my relief drivers knew how to shift it very well. I remember taking a break in the back and either lugging through town in fifth gear, or screaming (both me and the engine) down the highway in third gear.

My kid was just out of school at his first job for Circuit City and being a big strapper, they told him that he got to deliver the TV’s. All well and good until he got to the truck and saw that it had a manual transmission. Learned to drive one real quickly or no delivery gig.

The wife tells the story about a friend of hers calling asking if she will come over to the dealership and drive her new car home for her. A never learned to drive a stick shift person buying a manual transmission vehicle, but she liked the color.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Windfall

My kid was just out of school at his first job for Circuit City and being a big strapper, they told him that he got to deliver the TV’s. All well and good until he got to the truck and saw that it had a manual transmission. Learned to drive one real quickly or no delivery gig.

Why didn't your kid know how to drive a stick?
I taught all my kids how to drive in a manual transmission vehicle.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Windfall
My Minneapolis based daughter traded in her Honda Civic and after the deal was done, the dealer hadn’t realized that it was a stick. Not a big seller in the big city.

‘Ol Blue was my trip truck with a five speed, but none of my relief drivers knew how to shift it very well. I remember taking a break in the back and either lugging through town in fifth gear, or screaming (both me and the engine) down the highway in third gear.

The wife tells the story about a friend of hers calling asking if she will come over to the dealership and drive her new car home for her. A never learned to drive a stick shift person buying a manual transmission vehicle, but she liked the color.

Still hurts to even talk about. But,

Sold my '86 K2500 Suburban to a kid from ND. Was originally from VT I think? But he saw my ad in craigslist and was working around Williston. Was a factory manual transmission. Had to give him time enough to pull cash out of the ATM every day till he had enough. Showed up with some buddies. He didn't know how to drive it, had his buddy drive it back for him, said he'd learn on the fly. I wonder sometimes whatever happened to that truck. I should have never ever sold the damned thing.

MAGA
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
58 Ford, 67 Chevy, 70 Dodge, 85 ford, 98 Dodge diesel,two Tacomas. Still driving one of those,but it is my wife's. All Std transmission. This 2019 Chevy is the first truck with an auto.

49 Plymouth Coupe, 53 Chevy, 56 Chevy, 3 Subarus, one Volkswagon bug. All Std. .I have had twos auto cars.One was a 61 Ford the other a 2004 Acura

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I still drive Dad’s last farm truck from time to time. It’s a 92 Chevy 2500 with a 350 V-8 and 5 speed manual with the granny low gear. 350K miles and still going strong.

Was giving it a a jump for a dead battery one day, and I told my 23 year old nephew to hop in and start it for me.
He couldn’t figure out how to start it it and looked at me for advice. I told him to depress the clutch.
He looked at me dumbfounded and said, “what’s a clutch ?”

I laughed my ass off.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/16/21.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
Obviously you automatic lovers have never faced a slick, steep downhill grade where a low crawler gear will allow you to maintain traction and steering. With an automatic, even in 4LO, you end up riding the brakes and risk becoming a sled.

Compression brake fixes all that in Diesels. Plus you can drop into manual towing and creep down the steepest, slickest hill.

Yep, I love the auto's in the F350's.

No desire to drive a manual pickup for work.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
...in new trucks?

Seems all the online options from the big 3 are automatics. Other than one Ford salesman who claims all things are possible, ala carte, it appears that manual transmissions are scarce.

Do you fellas know anything different?

Thx

I would love to have a manual vehicle but they don't make many anymore. I don't think anyone even makes a full-size truck with a manual anymore. A couple of years ago I saw where more EVs were sold than vehicles with manuals. Drive one of the new trucks with a modern 10-speed auto and you will see why. The new autos keep the engine in its power band all the time. In old vehicles, a really good driver in a drag race could often outrun an automatic I assume primarily because the parasitic loss of the older autos. That is no longer the case. Technology has progressed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Give it some time and geared trannies will return.
As dual disc automatics.
They are probably the future, as soon as they get them figured out.
Ford's stupidity can't be helped, the design can.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
''64 chevelle, '84 F250, '89 F250, '86 F250, '88 F350 and a '99 F350, all manual.

The '99 is the current rig and is pretty well sorted, but I'm still considering what's the next move for trucks. Driving an auto on mountain logging and service roads is a joyless, annoying affair, and driving an auto when it's slippery moreso.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you haven’t driven a pickup with an auto newer than 99 you might be pleasantly surprised. The newer 5,6, and 10 speeds offer a lot more control over the old 3 and 4 speeds.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid
If you haven’t driven a pickup with an auto newer than 99 you might be pleasantly surprised. The newer 5,6, and 10 speeds offer a lot more control over the old 3 and 4 speeds.

Except when starting on a slick surface. In an auto, no matter what, you are starting in first gear. If you know the surface is slick, in a manual you can start in second or third and get your wheel speed up to get moving. In an auto, first gear puts too much torque to a slick surface and you get immediate wheel spin.
I don't own an auto, but I would consider buying one for a vacation or long distance driving car. All of my trucks and Jeeps are manuals, as is my wife's Toyota. I can't imagine driving in snow with an auto!
We just bought a "new" Jeep for my wife. We had to look long and hard for a manual as this will be her winter vehicle. Maybe we could have found one easier if she wasn't stuck on PURPLE, but when it arrives from NC she will be HAPPY HAPPY!

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I lament the passing of manual transmissions.

However, the greater sorrow is the godsdamnedfugking traction control and stability control bullchit. It's a cancerous tumor on every damned truck out there now.

I'd trade the manuals as much as I like em for the option to not have that crap.

MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Cowboybart

Except when starting on a slick surface. In an auto, no matter what, you are starting in first gear. If you know the surface is slick, in a manual you can start in second or third and get your wheel speed up to get moving. In an auto, first gear puts too much torque to a slick surface and you get immediate wheel spin.
I don't own an auto, but I would consider buying one for a vacation or long distance driving car. All of my trucks and Jeeps are manuals, as is my wife's Toyota. I can't imagine driving in snow with an auto!
We just bought a "new" Jeep for my wife. We had to look long and hard for a manual as this will be her winter vehicle. Maybe we could have found one easier if she wasn't stuck on PURPLE, but when it arrives from NC she will be HAPPY HAPPY!

Put the AT in “2”.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most A/T’s in trucks can be started in 2 in low traction conditions (lookup first gear lockout). In addition, the TC/stability control can be turned off with a button when needed. I’m guessing they saved quite a few wrecks over the years. Many even have throttle mapping settings that can remap the throttle settings when off road or in low traction situations. The Luddite in me likes driving sticks, but they don’t really give an advantage over most newer autos.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The manual mode on auto trannys helped this year in our ice storms. Showed a girl how to use hers to maintain traction on takeoff and she said “Ohhhhhhh... so that’s what the M on the gearshift is for”.

I do agree on the traction control and stability stuff being a PITA when off-road. By the time you remember to disable it, you are generally buried up in the mud. It is good to have on the road though. Got jammed up the other day when crossing a five lane and had to goose it hard due to a speeder coming over the hill, but no tirespin, just traction. Old trucks would have just spun tires there if they had similar power. A 90’s pickup with a 350, 351, or 360 would smoke some back tires on takeoff.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My first two F-150's were manuals and that 300 6 with the four speed wasn't bad because that engine had some low end torque. That said 'Ol Blue had that old 302 V8 with a five speed and it was nothing short of dismal for low end. If it wasn't for the 4L range without the front hubs locked in, I never would have backed a trailer anywhere. The neighbor's 2wd truck with a stick in his Chev ate clutches backing his boat into the garage. Contrast that to the across the street neighbor with that same anemic 302 in his Ford van only with an automatic and he pulled his 26' travel trailer out to the East coast and back on a family vacation with no issues what ever. The torque converter with his automatic made all the difference.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Cowboybart

Put the AT in “2”.

As you could do in a Ford truck 40+ years ao.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by K1500
Most A/T’s in trucks can be started in 2 in low traction conditions (lookup first gear lockout). In addition, the TC/stability control can be turned off with a button when needed. I’m guessing they saved quite a few wrecks over the years. Many even have throttle mapping settings that can remap the throttle settings when off road or in low traction situations. The Luddite in me likes driving sticks, but they don’t really give an advantage over most newer autos.

Bullshidt. They don't turn off. They do lessen, but the ones I've driven never turn off. I'm sure they are neat and help folks who can't drive. I'd like the option to not have it.

It's like having a semi-auto pistol with a safety that automatically engages every time you pull the trigger. "you can just turn it off"

MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Last manual I had was a 98 Chevy half ton extended cab. It was a pickup that someone had custom ordered. Between the five speed, flow master exhaust, and smaller 5.0 (305) vortec engine. That thing got the best fuel mileage I’ve seen out of a full size pickup. Usually around 20 MPG.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (160user, 12344mag, 12308300, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,617
Posts18,398,496
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.