Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I loaned a spare muzzleloader out to a friend of mine just starting out hunting last year. I told him take it home practice with it and see how he likes it. I got it back recently and it doesn't look like he ever cleaned it even though I explained it to him and showed him how. After getting last years load out which was a pain in the ass I gave the gun a major douching wash rinse repeat many times over. I took a wine cork to the grinder until it would fit in the end of my barrel and filled the barrel with solvent to help breakdown the heavy stuff. The barrel is nice and shiny now but looks like it has a bit of pitting. I haven't had the chance to shoot it to check for accuracy due to the weather so I thought I would post my question here. I'm thinking of sending it down the road to another friend but dont want to sell him a lemon

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Irving, I had pretty much the same thing happen to a TC Omega. After finding a recipe on line for "Murphy's mix", 1/3 murphys oil soap, 1/3 rubbing alcohol, and 1/3 Hydrogen pyroxide, I scrubbed the barrel with this mixture. Then i put a toothpick in the breach plug hole, and filled the barrel with the mixture and let it sit for a few hours. This mixture will fizz and foam, and remove any rust left in the barrel. The barrel cleaned up very nicely, and it shoots as good as it ever did. After making scope adjustments during the first 5 shots, my last two shots were 1" high and touching each other. I was considering buying a new ML, but not now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Accuracy issues will depend on the kind of shooting. Sabots, slugs, and patched round ball are impacted differently.
If it were me, I would be using some lapping compound to minimize the pit depth. The catch 22 is pits hold corrosive particles, and they create opportunity for more corrosion. So a bad barrel often gets worse. Lapping can minimize future corrosion.
Lots of cleaners work, but stuff like ballistrol has a basic PH and it neutralizes acidic compounds found in black powder. Again depends on your powder.
Salts found in many soaps are also bad. Good idea to use simple green because it is salt free. Don't want salts trapped in those mini pits.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
shouldn't effect accuracy much just ability to get perfectly clean due to the pitting.. Ive got a couple Knight rifles I bought dirt cheap due to neglect, both look like a log chain was dragged thru them.. but both will shoot into a 1.5 inches at 75 yds or better, bad thing is you have to swab every shot or sabot is very hard to get down barrel.. takes forever to get clean also, minor pitting wont hurt as long as you clean/oil well if not it will keep getting worse.

Making black powder smoke is a great thing..
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Great advice thanks how is the lapping compound applied

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wrap a brush with a patch and apply the compound to the patch.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You never said what kind of muzzleloader, roundball traditional style you just apply lapping agent to your patches and shoot normally, usually 10 to 15 shots will smooth the pits sufficiently to make it easy to load and clean. Pits at the muzzle crown are a disaster. If this is a modern gun designed to shoot sabots...I know nothing.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Once you get it clean would Dyna bore coat fix it permanently? Ask Mule Deer

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Once you get it clean would Dyna bore coat fix it permanently? Ask Mule Deer

Best solution offered yet.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
It's a traditions accura inline thanks for the help

Last edited by Irving_D; 01/30/21.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a cva inline a youngster gave me. He shot it about ten times and then had to fight to load it( imagine!) So he just stuck it in the rafters of a open carport for 4-5 years . The bore is a poster child for the term sewer pipe. It shreds a cleaning patch on a jag. I brushed it until i went blind and got nowhere.
Gave up on seeing shine. It shoots round ball into 1.75 at 100. It shoots bullets with a wad under into 1.75 at a hundred. I now just clean the best i can and when the erosion gets too bad i will bore it to 54. R

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have read many times the barrels are still accurate , however, they dirty up a lot faster.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
without a doubt, i can never get a clean patch out of that cva.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
For a badly fouled and pitted bore a trick I have used with success is to wrap some 0000 steel wool around a used bore brush and soak it with Kroil. Brush it for a while and then clean with dry patches. Repeat the process until the crud is mostly removed. My Grandson had a guy give him a CVA muzzy that had set for a few years uncleaned and still loaded. We pulled the load and used this process to get it going. It shot well enough to hunt with at reasonable yardage. We did change nipple.
Have a great day.
Jim

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jwleeper
For a badly fouled and pitted bore a trick I have used with success is to wrap some 0000 steel wool around a used bore brush and soak it with Kroil. Brush it for a while and then clean with dry patches. Repeat the process until the crud is mostly removed. My Grandson had a guy give him a CVA muzzy that had set for a few years uncleaned and still loaded. We pulled the load and used this process to get it going. It shot well enough to hunt with at reasonable yardage. We did change nipple.
Have a great day.
Jim

Sounds like a plan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
was shooting that CVA inline today with my homebrew blackpowder. shot to 3 inches at 50 yards. i tore it apart and used eliminate on the bore. have seen better looking stuff in a septic tank. finally got a clean patch. ran a patch with ballistol. came out black. scrubbed until i got a clean patch. bore actually has some shine. will see tomorrow if it shoot better. that home made BP surprised me. actually got a crack to the shot with 110g volume. Lord does it make a dense cloud of smoke. think i got about 1% too much sulphur.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I seconds the extra fine steel wool around a bore brush. My guess is that you’ll get it accurate enough to hunt.

“One thorn of experience is worth a whole wilderness of warning.” - James Russell Lowell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

606 members (270cowboy, 257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 71 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,295
Posts18,448,991
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.