Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
LMAO

An aristocrat that liked to enjoy his guns and hunting. What did he do for gun rights or hunting in Great Britain? Besides enjoying what he had that others had no prayer of ever getting.

Seemed like a classy enough guy, if you're into the whole monarchy and social strata thing.

As an American, I can't say I am.

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for posting that. It was interesting, as I heard he was a shooter and hunter but I never heard how deeply he was into it. I may have seen something about him when I went to the aforementioned Balmoral Castle in Scotland back in 1989. When the English royals get the urge to "go up north" and do some hunting that's where they go. Tours were available in the summer if there's no royalty there and some of the interior has a lot of game mounts, mostly European style but with lots of traditional taxidermy also. I'd bet I saw a few of his trophies on display in Balmoral Castle.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
We've lost a good one.

https://fieldethos.com/prince-philip-hunter-outdoor-conservationist/

Philip was often the target of animal activists who claimed his hunting negated his service to these groups. The Prince, always one to speak his mind (an example of this would be when he told a 13-year-old boy, “You’re too fat to be an astronaut.”), shot back that hunting was conservation.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Show me where in the article cited he was a gun rights supporter.

MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't do that. At least he was a hunter, and advocate for hunting. Merry Olde England and all that...pip pip

I wonder if the Queen has read his will and passed out his guns to any family members?

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I can't do that. At least he was a hunter, and advocate for hunting. Merry Olde England and all that...pip pip

Yeah, it's neat he liked to shoot and hunt. The title of the thread says he was a gun rights supporter. That isn't in the article cited. More like a "he really liked being able to travel the world and hunt and shoot things. Especially here at home in jolly old England where the hoi polloi cannot".

Now, if he had used his position to fight for gun rights for the Brits I'd down a bit of gin and tip the hat to him.

MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Jolly Good show Old Man....Jolly Good Show!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i doubt he ever donned duck pants and kicked brushpiles for bunnies. but ya, at least he wasn't a militant lib.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

Yeah, it's neat he liked to shoot and hunt. The title of the thread says he was a gun rights supporter. That isn't in the article cited. More like a "he really liked being able to travel the world and hunt and shoot things. Especially here at home in jolly old England where the hoi polloi cannot".

Now, if he had used his position to fight for gun rights for the Brits I'd down a bit of gin and tip the hat to him.

Perhaps you should dig a little deeper into the issue before you condemn him so harshly:

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/20/world/prince-philip-angers-britons-on-gun-control.html

Prince Philip Angers Britons on Gun Control

Dec. 20, 1996

Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, spoke out in a broadcast today against pending handgun legislation, using an offhand analogy to cricket, and promptly found himself at the center of the latest round of dismay over the conduct of the British royal family.

In a radio interview on the BBC, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II sought to raise the argument commonly advanced against laws curbing the private ownership of weapons -- that it is not guns that are to blame but the people who use them. But he did so with a simile that struck people as insensitive to the traumatic event in British life that gave rise to the legislation, the massacre last March of 16 schoolchildren and their teacher in the Scottish town of Dunblane by a man armed with four handguns.

Asked where the Duke stood in a debate that the interviewer noted had become ''a very sensitive issue in the aftermath of Dunblane,'' the Prince said, ''I sympathize desperately with the people who are bereaved at Dunblane.'' But then he added, ''Look, if a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?''

An avid hunter, the Prince, 75, said that sportsmen were being punished for the action of criminals. ''I can't believe that the members of the shooting clubs are any more dangerous than members of a squash club or a golf club or anything else. I mean, they're perfectly reasonable people,'' he said with a convivial laugh. ''There's no evidence that people who use weapons for sport are any more dangerous than people who use golf clubs or tennis rackets or cricket bats.''

The text of the interview was made public Wednesday night and produced widespread and immediate outcries of disbelief and condemnation from parents of the slain children and Members of Parliament. From the House of Commons, the Prince was denounced as ''crass'' and ''insensitive'' and told to stop ''blundering'' into politics.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
And now only butterknives are legal.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The more I learn about this guy, the more I like him.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Perhaps you should dig a little deeper into the issue before you condemn him so harshly:

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/20/world/prince-philip-angers-britons-on-gun-control.html

Dec. 20, 1996

Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, spoke out in a broadcast today against pending handgun legislation, using an offhand analogy to cricket, and promptly found himself at the center of the latest round of dismay over the conduct of the British royal family.

In a radio interview on the BBC, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II sought to raise the argument commonly advanced against laws curbing the private ownership of weapons -- that it is not guns that are to blame but the people who use them. But he did so with a simile that struck people as insensitive to the traumatic event in British life that gave rise to the legislation, the massacre last March of 16 schoolchildren and their teacher in the Scottish town of Dunblane by a man armed with four handguns.

Asked where the Duke stood in a debate that the interviewer noted had become ''a very sensitive issue in the aftermath of Dunblane,'' the Prince said, ''I sympathize desperately with the people who are bereaved at Dunblane.'' But then he added, ''Look, if a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?''

An avid hunter, the Prince, 75, said that sportsmen were being punished for the action of criminals. ''I can't believe that the members of the shooting clubs are any more dangerous than members of a squash club or a golf club or anything else. I mean, they're perfectly reasonable people,'' he said with a convivial laugh. ''There's no evidence that people who use weapons for sport are any more dangerous than people who use golf clubs or tennis rackets or cricket bats.''

The text of the interview was made public Wednesday night and produced widespread and immediate outcries of disbelief and condemnation from parents of the slain children and Members of Parliament. From the House of Commons, the Prince was denounced as ''crass'' and ''insensitive'' and told to stop ''blundering'' into politics.

Show me where he actively supported gun ownership by the common man.

And used his position to fight for it.

The title of the thread says he was a gun rights supporter.

If in fact he was, I'll still tip my hat and drink some gin to his memory. Haven't seen evidence of that yet. I didn't start a thread [bleep] him. Onus ain't on me........

MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Dec. 20, 1996

If in fact he was, I'll still tip my hat and drink some gin to his memory. Haven't seen evidence of that yet. I didn't start a thread [bleep] him. Onus ain't on me........

His position precluded that. British royals may not express their political views. For him to have said what he did was a gross breech of protocol, which caused a significant political dustup.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Globalist scum

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Globalist scum

LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Globalist scum

Perhaps, but at least he wasn't a Boomer.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The scumbag pal'd around with Jimmy Savile....enough said

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dutch

Dec. 20, 1996

His position precluded that. British royals may not express their political views. For him to have said what he did was a gross breech of protocol, which caused a significant political dustup.

Thank you for explaining that.

He seems like he was a decent enough guy, but at the end of the day he was nobility. I am glad America shed that.

MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dutch

Dec. 20, 1996

Never seemed to stop his elitist/racist commentary dealing with the "subjects".

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (12344mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 338reddog, 300jimmy, 2UP, 25 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.