Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Ken_L
Originally Posted by hanco
Why not build a real stand with comfortable chairs, glass windows and a heater. You don’t get extra points for sitting out in the weather, freezing your ass off. Built this, put it up last summer.[/url]

Freezing your ass off in Texas now that's funny!

Not really, gets windy, cold and high humidity you will get too cold to sit in an open treestand. If you know anything about Texas the panhandle is up against New Mexico, Colorado just a little ways up from there. Sitting in a box blind can get preety cold. Temps in the mid teens are common.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Why not build a real stand with comfortable chairs, glass windows and a heater. You don’t get extra points for sitting out in the weather, freezing your ass off. Built this, put it up last summer.

Eye of Hurricane Laura went right over it, didn’t blow it down.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]does la croix have artificial ingredients

i have used enclosed stands for 20 some years also ,way more comfortable and you will shoot plenty deer out of a enclosed stand too. i feel you can shoot bigger bucks out of enclosed stand too they don`t smell you as easy and its easier to not be seen moving as easy also. good luck,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Yep, your smell doesn’t get out as easy, not curtains for the windows I open.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
This is my preferred deer stand.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

laugh laugh

I stole this pic 'somewhere' I don't remember. grin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks good, if you can find level ground for it.

Not ready for boxes or tents just yet. Maybe when I get old......

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
This is my preferred deer stand.

laugh laugh

I stole this pic 'somewhere' I don't remember. grin

Jerry

One of these about 30 miles South of where I live.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You’ll get your ass shot wandering around in the woods down here. We ain’t got no sense down here. People shoot anything movin!

Thats a fact! One reason to stay out of the national forests around here.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I built a 6x6x8 platform and put a ground blind on top.Killed a 8pt last year and a 5pt this year.Have a comfortable chair and a Buddy heater hooked to a 20lb propane bottle.I like it better than a ladder stand.Stay dry,out of the wind and can move around more.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
At 79 yrs of age the box blind is looking good to me. When hunting the farm lots here in northern IN one can't be trying to walk around and stalk deer. The 1st thing you will hear are shots from a next door neighbor shooting the deer you drove to them. It's much better to just stay put and watch, Play the wind to get in your hunting spot. I may have a few more hunting years using a box blind.
Have a great day.
Jim

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot a European wild boar in Argentina over a waterhole from a stand kind of like that.

It really wasn't my way of doing things, but it worked.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like to be mobile. Hasbeen

https://imgur.com/a/rgPV2iY

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Pappy348
Looks good, if you can find level ground for it.

Not ready for boxes or tents just yet. Maybe when I get old......

^^^ This ^^^

Unless it's meant to be permanent and never moved, seems like some method of leveling stand would be a must. I doubt an elevated stand located on off level ground rocking with every movement would be much fun to hunt from and especially not for someone with mobility issues.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why not build a real stand with comfortable chairs, glass windows and a heater. You don’t get extra points for sitting out in the weather, freezing your ass off. Built this, put it up last summer.

Eye of Hurricane Laura went right over it, didn’t blow it down.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]does la croix have artificial ingredients

Hanco, you got A/C in those?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Gave up on tree stands years ago....health reasons. Now, I just sit in front door of my barn, dry and able to drink coffee. More like shooting than hunting, but the meat taste the same. Hell getting old but the thrill and fun is still there and the little lady does not worry about me being safe. She has helped me clean all of my deer over the years so hard to argue with my partner!

Last edited by Bobcat85; 04/18/21.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yeah I’m in the “if you’re gonna build something that big, quit [bleep] around and just build a good box stand” camp. You can put a small porch on the back and stairs instead of a ladder and not have any worries about access.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
enclosed stands are so much easier to hunt out of ,dryer and warmer. been using enclosed stands for 30 some years and i do kill decent bucks and see plenty deer too. last fall 2020 was my 1st year with stairs,hand rail and a landing to open the door and it makes it so much safer for young and old too.

Last edited by pete53; 04/19/21.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken_L
Why not build a real stand with comfortable chairs, glass windows and a heater. You don’t get extra points for sitting out in the weather, freezing your ass off. Built this, put it up last summer.[/url]

Freezing your ass off in Texas now that's funny!

Actually, if the panhandle is anything like Oklahoma or Kansas, the cold there is a whole lot different (damp) than what I'm accustomed in the upper midwest and even Canada.
I was never a believer in chilled-to-the-bone before hunting those places but I'll take zero in my home locale over 15 degrees and breezy in those places.

WWP53D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve been hunting out of a shooting house for about ten years. At first, I only used them when the weather was bad, but as I got older it became too difficult to climb into open stands, ladder stands included. Now, at age 77, the shooting houses, either built or bought, is how I can continue to deer hunt. I have several scattered around on trails, on agricultural fields, or overlooking food plots. I intend to continue using them with no shame or regrets as long as they allow me to continue doing one of the things I can still enjoy. To each his own.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good on ya 'lastround'.

Man there ain't no shame. Stand hunting is the only option in some situations.
Keep On, Keep On, & Keep On.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lastround
I’ve been hunting out of a shooting house for about ten years. At first, I only used them when the weather was bad, but as I got older it became too difficult to climb into open stands, ladder stands included. Now, at age 77, the shooting houses, either built or bought, is how I can continue to deer hunt. I have several scattered around on trails, on agricultural fields, or overlooking food plots. I intend to continue using them with no shame or regrets as long as they allow me to continue doing one of the things I can still enjoy. To each his own.

Whatever keeps you in the game. Good luck this season!

WWP53D
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

303 members (22250rem, 240NMC, 160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 31 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,306
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.