Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

This is a wee tip for those who use a machine for maintaining their chains.

I picked up a digital tyre depth gauge on a whim to see if it would be of use to measure the rakers, not only does it work but heck yes it works. No more pissing about guessing when using a machine.

Ebay link

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Yes, it is that time of year here.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'll just use a file

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That will work just perfect. I suspect that the manufactures are too conservative on their racker height recommendations.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I used to cut timber there was somebody who made a plate that had a hole for the raker and plate went on top of 2 teeth and you simply filed the raker off to the top of the plate, cheap and easy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sherm_61
When I used to cut timber there was somebody who made a plate that had a hole for the raker and plate went on top of 2 teeth and you simply filed the raker off to the top of the plate, cheap and easy

Had one worked great

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wear chaps too! And a damn helmet/facemask

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run a depth mic across the top of the saw teeth after sharpening to check raker depth gauge height. That little gizmo looks like it will do the same thing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i'll just use a file

Never ceases to amaze how many people are unable to sharpen a chain with a $2 file. Yes it takes a fair amount of practice to master, but look at all the money saved. I often dream of being the one that came up with all these chain sharpening gadgets, could have made a fortune.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Elksalyer says he wears all that...and he doesn't even own a chainsaw!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I almost bought a power sharpener - but I picked up one of these, and can’t believe how good it works.... so I don’t need a power one anymore.

It’s a Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener (file system) that adjusts your rakers at the same time it’s sharpening the teeth - All good !!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

While on the subject of chainsaws - scored this little beauty for a very good price a few days ago. It took a while but I finally found one in great condition!!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Can only protect a liberal so much. They will still find a way to hurt themselves. Usually by thinking. We should tell him he should forego the helmet....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dingo

While on the subject of chainsaws - scored this little beauty for a very good price a few days ago. It took a while but I finally found one in great condition!!!

Nice Dingo! Does that still have the old style chain adjustment?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Geez, that's a nice one. I still have an 034 Super on the shelf. By the way, your bar is on upside down. grin

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Real men still run McCulloch's. None of that Swede or Kraut crap here...you are a weinie if you think a saw should start on the first 4 pulls. Anti vibration technology is for transgender types. Noise and weight reduction is for pajama boys. How you gonna learn the manly mechanical skills needed to attract women if your saw never breaks down? Grin.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nollij

Geez, that's a nice one. I still have an 034 Super on the shelf. By the way, your bar is on upside down. grin

Switch it every time you sharpen to keep the wear even wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Real men still run McCulloch's. None of that Swede or Kraut crap here...you are a weinie if you think a saw should start on the first 4 pulls. Anti vibration technology is for transgender types. Noise and weight reduction is for pajama boys. How you gonna learn the manly mechanical skills needed to attract women if your saw never breaks down? Grin.

Ever seen an old logger in decent shape at 50 that's still doin it?? Grin

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ain't that the truth Hank...but, my wife's dad worked cutting day wage out on the Olympic Peninsula until he was 63.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Can only protect a liberal so much. They will still find a way to hurt themselves. Usually by thinking. We should tell him he should forego the helmet....
I think he was talking about wearing them out partying...some sort of bars or some such...some dude named Vito...

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was delivering firewood to a customer and he says to me.....hey can you use these?...He was showing me about 10 chains he had hanging on the wall. He said instead of sharpening them he just bought a new one. I guess he didn't know how to sharpen them, so one of the sharpening machines would work great for a guy like that.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

I almost bought a power sharpener - but I picked up one of these, and can’t believe how good it works.... so I don’t need a power one anymore.

It’s a Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener (file system) that adjusts your rakers at the same time it’s sharpening the teeth - All good !!

This is a great sharpener made for Stihl by Pferd of Germany. The blue ones that don't say Stihl are the same, but quite a bit cheaper.

Pferd

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I meant there were very few old hands in the logging industry, and if they were they were guys you wanted to listen to. I missed the Vito reference......

I think he was talking about wearing them out partying...some sort of bars or some such...some dude named Vito...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSTUART

This is a wee tip for those who use a machine for maintaining their chains.

I picked up a digital tyre depth gauge on a whim to see if it would be of use to measure the rakers, not only does it work but heck yes it works. No more pissing about guessing when using a machine.

Ebay link

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Yes, it is that time of year here.

[Linked Image]

Nice!

My wild guess is that you're sharpening way more chains than the guy using a $2 file?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Spotshooter 2n1 = like !

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S

I got 38 stitches in my left thigh, that says you are right. Stihl 039
What a bloody mess. Ruined my pants too.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

This is a great sharpener made for Stihl by Pferd of Germany. The blue ones that don't say Stihl are the same, but quite a bit cheaper.

Pferd

I paid the same for the Stihl brand as the blue one in your post at my local dealer.

It works great, easy and fast.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The power sharpeners are fine for the guy cutting firewood next to his house, or the cutter who uses his saw less than 4 hours a year. The downside is once you use them on your chain you have to keep using them. A file will give you way more life in your chain and easier to touch up every time you fill up.

Interesting point as to the original post. I'll stick with the little plate to slap on and file them down but good to know!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

simonkenton7:
Good afternoon to you sir, I hope the day is a fine one in your part of the planet and that all in your world are well.

I'm sorry to read of your chainsaw incident and hope too that you've healed completely.

After running power saws for personal use over the last 4 decades, never once did I come close to biting myself.... until I did...

My good wife and daughters felt it'd be not a bad idea for me to invest in some chaps or pants and then as I did some research - some of which was chatting with our fellow forum member 673 who makes his living with a chainsaw, I picked up a pair of lightly used Big K Clothing Logger King 4100 Threshold pants.

They're as tough as they are hot! laugh

Anyways all that to say that PPE isn't a bad idea at any age, but as we age it's likely even a better idea.

All the best to you and all our fellow chainsaw users.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

McCulloch 125 Super Pro

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I went with a chains sharpener a month ago. I had several that were in bad shape and really needed a good grinding. It looks just like the one in the 1st post. It was $315 and a bit too much. I hardly take anything off of the chisel blade and they are very sharp. I did notice that I have to be carefull not to get the blade too hot. It can turn it a blueish color and I think that could effect the steels hardness, so I just go slow and real light. It takes about 10 min. and I will hand file if I can. Hopwever, I am getting all my wood, mostly ash for free. Just go there and they load it in 10' long lumber . It has a lot of nails , bird feeder hooks, and some other un identifiable metal in that wood. therefore , it is hard on the blade. I I cut right in the back yard , so a trip to the garage is close. .

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by roundoak

McCulloch 125 Super Pro

Laughin so hard my wife is wondering what i'm reading. Just campfire stuff , I tell her and she gives me an eye roll sometimes.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sharpening chains in the shop I use the old Granberg File-N-Joint jig and a raker gauge. In the field I go free hand with a file holder, that is until now I use the Pferd tool in the field.

The hired man has better eyes then me (so he says) and insists on touching up in the field with file.

Last edited by roundoak; 04/17/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not about to get rid of my raker gauges just yet. The top one I ground down below specs to use when I cut a pine plantation sale. Takes a real bite in the wood.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak

McCulloch 125 Super Pro

Old, outdated, and cool as hell.

I have 10-10's that get brought along as pinch saws.
Sometimes I just enjoy running them. But not for long!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Carlton made those, invented by Ray Carlton, one of the nices guys you could ever want. After he died the company was sold to Oregon. I have several of those somewhere but I file rakers by how the chips look.

Yes, I worked in the machine shop at Carlton.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Those work great with a grinder.
Grind a lot of chains. All sizes. That tool covers everything

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had a big old McCulloch many years ago. Man I'm glad that thing is gone.

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by chris_c

Had one worked great

Those were fine Sherm but Carlton made a stainless file o plate that took each tooth down to the right depth individually. It also cut the raker at a angle to help with boring through a log

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I ground all my chains on a Silvey Razur Sharp II chisel bit, I only used the Carlton plate a little while then by feel on how the chain fed while cutting. You better not go to far on the rakers bucking logs using the tip boring into a log it would be if your face.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Unless one of you boys have a Homelite 8-29 (as far as I know the biggest saw ever built, frequently seen with a 87 inch bar for ripping redwood etc) Roundoak hereby nominated "Bull Buck" for the Manly Man Sidehill Gouger Society. For those of you pilgrims in Ioway what ain't seen big timber, the Mac SP 125 makes full grown redwoods quake in terror. The Sierra Club did a study, and a 6 hour day with a Mac 125 burns so much mix it causes the Pacific Ocean to rise 2 inches. Which the Sierra Club don't like, but clams do.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Unless one of you boys have a Homelite 8-29 (as far as I know the biggest saw ever built, frequently seen with a 87 inch bar for ripping redwood etc) Roundoak hereby nominated "Bull Buck" for the Manly Man Sidehill Gouger Society. For those of you pilgrims in Ioway what ain't seen big timber, the Mac SP 125 makes full grown redwoods quake in terror. The Sierra Club did a study, and a 6 hour day with a Mac 125 burns so much mix it causes the Pacific Ocean to rise 2 inches. Which the Sierra Club don't like, but clams do.

They were rated for a 60” bar

I got ported saw only 7ccs smaller.
And another 8 ccs larger. Also ported.
Lol
And they vibrate way too much

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
The power sharpeners are fine for the guy cutting firewood next to his house, or the cutter who uses his saw less than 4 hours a year. The downside is once you use them on your chain you have to keep using them. A file will give you way more life in your chain and easier to touch up every time you fill up.

Interesting point as to the original post. I'll stick with the little plate to slap on and file them down but good to know!

I cut some 70+ km from my house and take a half dozen chains and two bars with me, each time I refuel I drop on another chain and change the bar over as it saves getting fingers hot and keeps my chains in good order.
I cut black box and river gum which has a lot of dirt in it from white-ants...I don't piss about with chains and files as I am not interested in sitting about touching up chains instead of cutting.

Eight to ten loads gets us through winter, the fire will be lit in another week and it will go out around September/October.

Oh...and I am down to an even dozen chains for the 372 and a half dozen for the 455...both are 3/8 .058...seems to work for me.

Last edited by JSTUART; 04/17/21.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
JSTUART those termite pipes surely blunt a chain in no time at all! When I used to get firewood they were the bane of my existence. Used to borrow a farm chainsaw, even bought a sharpening kit for it, the farmers seem to use it without ever sharpening......

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rockdoc
JSTUART those termite pipes surely blunt a chain in no time at all! When I used to get firewood they were the bane of my existence. Used to borrow a farm chainsaw, even bought a sharpening kit for it, the farmers seem to use it without ever sharpening......

Hello Rocdoc, a bit like the fellows at work, they all just wander in and grab a saw and to a man feel compelled to use the damned file to screw things up...cockies...council workers...same diff.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The file o plate is exactly the name I was trying to think of Tim. They would fit right in your front pocket.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S

I cut some 70+ km from my house and take a half dozen chains and two bars with me, each time I refuel I drop on another chain and change the bar over as it saves getting fingers hot and keeps my chains in good order.
I cut black box and river gum which has a lot of dirt in it from white-ants...I don't piss about with chains and files as I am not interested in sitting about touching up chains instead of cutting.

Eight to ten loads gets us through winter, the fire will be lit in another week and it will go out around September/October.

Oh...and I am down to an even dozen chains for the 372 and a half dozen for the 455...both are 3/8 .058...seems to work for me.

You light the fire in April and it goes out in September? Where are you, Australia?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Best advice you can get!

NRA Endowment Member
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I use a little $30 Harbor Freight grinder to sharpen my chains. It works good, but technique is everything.

I set the stops on the grinder where it only dusts off the cutting edge of each tooth. Also, I file down the rakers the first time I sharpen the chain. In my opinion, the rakers are too high on the chains sold today. After taking a 16th of an inch off the rakers, the chain teeth take a deeper bite and results in a faster, cleaner cut.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Amazxing the crap you pick up on this site.
Can't imagine buzzing through a nice log and hitting a freaking
clay tube. That would put the Kibosh to things.

What do you do then?
I assume the thing would run up the trunk aways?
Just keep cutting?
Or abandon the log?

Do you run round chain or chisle

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have a couple- maybe 3? - of the File-N-Joint jigs. They work so well (and I don't do that much cutting), that I've never found the need for anything else for the last 50 years.- One goes in each chainsaw case that I am using. I have the flat raker guides too.

Freehand filing in the field will ef up a chain in a hurry- seen it many times, so I don't even try, myself. That Stihl devise looks like it may work for touchup if used with care, but I'd still use a decent jig- guide before starting each day, to reset the cutters accurately. Nearly everyone rocks the file on the stroke without a jig or clamp-on guide.

Working trail crew for the USFS back in late 60's and early 70's, I noticed people ( including myself) got a lot more careless with cutting tools when wearing chaps, be it with chainsaws axes, or brushing tools. I've never owned a pair for myself since then - when we were required to wear them (if the boss was looking). Nicked a couple boots over the decades, but that's it.

We had a couple "fire-safe" guys thin out our yard trees last year on their off-days, for additional $. Both had been "trained" on how to field sharpen chainsaws every fill-up. By noon both were claiming I needed new chains on both saws. They WERE new the day before.... including one of the saws. After that, I did it myself with the File-N-Joints

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
McCulloch . . .

When ya rather be pullin and CUSSIN than cuttin!

Course I haven't run a chainsaw seriously since the Homelite 66 days.

Last edited by LouisB; 04/18/21.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to the stihl shop this week for mower blades and will be checking out the 2n1. Is the holder itself 1 size for all just add your file for saw you're using?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Amazxing the crap you pick up on this site.
Can't imagine buzzing through a nice log and hitting a freaking
clay tube. That would put the Kibosh to things.

What do you do then?
I assume the thing would run up the trunk aways?
Just keep cutting?
Or abandon the log?

Do you run round chain or chisle

Just keep cutting and keep sharpening, pipe runs up a fair way. Timber in some places is hard to get to be too fussy 😩

Was funny for the kids if you holed into a bee hive!

Not sure what you mean by run round chain or chisel?

Last edited by rockdoc; 04/19/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

That sounds like where I would have been a couple times if not for the chaps. S**T happens!

Worse, I was solo in the woods when both incidents happened, and figure I might have bled out before getting to help.

An outstanding investment.

Last edited by Blu_Cs; 04/19/21.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]home cooked food restaurants

The semi chisel is what we call round, it holds up better
than chisel, but doesn't cut as well.

The flat ground cuts better than normal chisel, but dulls even faster.
At least that's my understanding on flat ground. It's common around here,
more a western thing, where I'm guessing they use it on cleaner wood.
Would like to try it, but supposedly it's hard to hand file and the jigs
don't work for it. Need to order a loop and give it a whirl, just to see.
Be my luck to hit something right out of the box, and still not get to
run it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I ground all my chains like your square pic, there's an art to it. The guy I bucked logs behind starting out in the woods filed his and my chains square before I bought a grinder, his hand filing was a thing of beauty OMG did they cut.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone use the timberline? 30 secondsto set up, 3 spins a tooth.....and you can't get a better finish.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Holy crap. Learn how to use a file already. Its not that hard.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
That gizmo must be designed for Forest Service employees.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
OK- which one of you guys put a curse on me yesterday?

I'd also ask "What are the chances?", but we all know that's nearly 100%. smile

Last edited by las; 04/19/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lottery!

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las

Isn't it amazing. A 1/8 " thick nail in a 30' long piece of wood and you choose that exact spot to cut. I have even just cut the edge off one.
How I thee hell...?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I bet that was rough on the chain.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by las

Isn't it amazing. A 1/8 " thick nail in a 30' long piece of wood and you choose that exact spot to cut. I have even just cut the edge off one.
How I thee hell...?

Ya can’t coach that. That’s natural talent!! 🤣🤣

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by high_country_
Anyone use the timberline? 30 secondsto set up, 3 spins a tooth.....and you can't get a better finish.

Been using this for a few years now... it’s simple enough even I don’t screw it up...

Public landowner...
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by Bristoe
I use a little $30 Harbor Freight grinder to sharpen my chains. It works good, but technique is everything.

I set the stops on the grinder where it only dusts off the cutting edge of each tooth. Also, I file down the rakers the first time I sharpen the chain. In my opinion, the rakers are too high on the chains sold today. After taking a 16th of an inch off the rakers, the chain teeth take a deeper bite and results in a faster, cleaner cut.

Take 1/16” off the rakers!!!

You mean MAYBE 1/64”........and you need a manly saw for that.

Just kidding. You’d know if you took off 1/16”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tried tocut a big log with my dads Husky 2100.
That's a 100cc saw, it's got some balls.

Anyway, it kept bogging down. It has a system in the anti vibe that
engaged the chainbrake under enough load. And the chain grabbed and
pulled so hard it either stalled the clutch or engaged the brake.

Gave up and used my 372.

Later, dad ask if it did ok?

Then explained that he used an angle grinder to take down the
takers, and "maybe" took too much off.

It ruined a good chain. The teeth would have been almost gone if
you tried filing them untill the takers were right.

No idea what the hell got into him. Been running a saw for a long time.
He just got a wild hair and thought a grinder would be quicker.

Because, a 70 year old retired guy is in a big dam hurry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Glad you found a system that works for you, although it seems more of a niche scenario more than the norm for most wood cutters. Toting around a slew of chains and extra bars doesn't sound enjoyable. I don't cut as much as I used to but when running 1-2 8 man crews I wouldn't have relished buying or making enough chains that everyone had 6 spares. Seems an expensive way to get out of using a file is all

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big wind storm knocked a bunch of timber down in as nearby state park
several years ago. They big the logging and it went to some helicopter crew.

Now that was a novel deal. Nobody here had ever saw such a thing.
People came to watch them fly the turns in.

Anyway, this was a corporate, organized by the book operation.
The cutters were required to run the safety chains on their saws.
Anyone caught with anything else had problems.

So, they went to the local shop and bought traditional chains, and carried
them into the woods in a pocket. At the end of the day, they swapped,
And hung the good chain in a tree. It became a common topic in logging
circles. Logging here isn't corporate. It's family or a couple guys
running saws, cutting wood. No HR BS. These rednecks couldn't imagine
being told to run crappy chains or being forced to wear helmet and
ear muffs.

Not that safety gear is a bad idea.

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

Glad you found a system that works for you, although it seems more of a niche scenario more than the norm for most wood cutters. Toting around a slew of chains and extra bars doesn't sound enjoyable. I don't cut as much as I used to but when running 1-2 8 man crews I wouldn't have relished buying or making enough chains that everyone had 6 spares. Seems an expensive way to get out of using a file is all

I cut for myself, the amount I cut each load generally fetches between $250-$300 per load depending on who you purchase from locally ...it costs me $25 to cut and transport to my back yard.
I do this for personal use on my weekends off work.

I generally buy five more chains each fourth season and these cost me $120 for five Carlton 72 .058 3/8 delivered to my mailbox.

I also drive right up to the wood I cut.

It works for me.

PS...and if I can figure out an easier and cheaper way I shall give that a whirl too.

Last edited by JSTUART; 04/20/21.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I cut for myself, the amount I cut each load generally fetches between $250-$300 per load depending on who you purchase from locally ...it costs me $25 to cut and transport to my back yard.

That's about $150-$230 US dollars! Not sure what your load is but a full size pickup truck here is about a 1/2 a chord of wood and at least out at our camp in WV it would run you $75-$90 depending on when you bought it. Usually red oak so good burning stuff.

I got lucky a few years ago and the power company came through trimming the lines. And trim they did! Cut a bunch of 20" and larger stuff. None of the folks on our road wanted it so I cut it all and split and stacked and covered and we didn't need to buy any wood for 5 years. We sold the camp this year and there was still almost a chord there.

I did learn a lesson though and was glad I was wearing chaps. All it took was a second and if I hadn't it would have been a bloody mess.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pugs

That's about $150-$230 US dollars! Not sure what your load is but a full size pickup truck here is about a 1/2 a chord of wood and at least out at our camp in WV it would run you $75-$90 depending on when you bought it. Usually red oak so good burning stuff.

I got lucky a few years ago and the power company came through trimming the lines. And trim they did! Cut a bunch of 20" and larger stuff. None of the folks on our road wanted it so I cut it all and split and stacked and covered and we didn't need to buy any wood for 5 years. We sold the camp this year and there was still almost a chord there.

I did learn a lesson though and was glad I was wearing chaps. All it took was a second and if I hadn't it would have been a bloody mess.

I don't cut without chaps or ppe...I leave that risk to those that can afford it.

added, load is heavy 7x5 trailer with a 2' 6" cage on top stacked to the max, and that load consisting of black box is HEAVY.

Last edited by JSTUART; 04/20/21.

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pugs

That's about $150-$230 US dollars!

Yeah, shocked the heck out of me too, I was still under the impression a load was $120.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
658 members (1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,961 guests, and 1,381 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,658
Posts18,399,290
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.