Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J

This is a wee tip for those who use a machine for maintaining their chains.

I picked up a digital tyre depth gauge on a whim to see if it would be of use to measure the rakers, not only does it work but heck yes it works. No more pissing about guessing when using a machine.

Ebay link

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Yes, it is that time of year here.

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i'll just use a file

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
That will work just perfect. I suspect that the manufactures are too conservative on their racker height recommendations.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I used to cut timber there was somebody who made a plate that had a hole for the raker and plate went on top of 2 teeth and you simply filed the raker off to the top of the plate, cheap and easy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sherm_61
When I used to cut timber there was somebody who made a plate that had a hole for the raker and plate went on top of 2 teeth and you simply filed the raker off to the top of the plate, cheap and easy

Had one worked great

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wear chaps too! And a damn helmet/facemask

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N
I run a depth mic across the top of the saw teeth after sharpening to check raker depth gauge height. That little gizmo looks like it will do the same thing.

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i'll just use a file

Never ceases to amaze how many people are unable to sharpen a chain with a $2 file. Yes it takes a fair amount of practice to master, but look at all the money saved. I often dream of being the one that came up with all these chain sharpening gadgets, could have made a fortune.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Elksalyer says he wears all that...and he doesn't even own a chainsaw!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

I almost bought a power sharpener - but I picked up one of these, and can’t believe how good it works.... so I don’t need a power one anymore.

It’s a Stihl 2 in 1 sharpener (file system) that adjusts your rakers at the same time it’s sharpening the teeth - All good !!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

While on the subject of chainsaws - scored this little beauty for a very good price a few days ago. It took a while but I finally found one in great condition!!!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Can only protect a liberal so much. They will still find a way to hurt themselves. Usually by thinking. We should tell him he should forego the helmet....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dingo

While on the subject of chainsaws - scored this little beauty for a very good price a few days ago. It took a while but I finally found one in great condition!!!

Nice Dingo! Does that still have the old style chain adjustment?

N
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
N

Geez, that's a nice one. I still have an 034 Super on the shelf. By the way, your bar is on upside down. grin

"Their minds are dead" - Carmine Ricca
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Real men still run McCulloch's. None of that Swede or Kraut crap here...you are a weinie if you think a saw should start on the first 4 pulls. Anti vibration technology is for transgender types. Noise and weight reduction is for pajama boys. How you gonna learn the manly mechanical skills needed to attract women if your saw never breaks down? Grin.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Nollij

Geez, that's a nice one. I still have an 034 Super on the shelf. By the way, your bar is on upside down. grin

Switch it every time you sharpen to keep the wear even wink

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Real men still run McCulloch's. None of that Swede or Kraut crap here...you are a weinie if you think a saw should start on the first 4 pulls. Anti vibration technology is for transgender types. Noise and weight reduction is for pajama boys. How you gonna learn the manly mechanical skills needed to attract women if your saw never breaks down? Grin.

Ever seen an old logger in decent shape at 50 that's still doin it?? Grin

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ain't that the truth Hank...but, my wife's dad worked cutting day wage out on the Olympic Peninsula until he was 63.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Can only protect a liberal so much. They will still find a way to hurt themselves. Usually by thinking. We should tell him he should forego the helmet....
I think he was talking about wearing them out partying...some sort of bars or some such...some dude named Vito...

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was delivering firewood to a customer and he says to me.....hey can you use these?...He was showing me about 10 chains he had hanging on the wall. He said instead of sharpening them he just bought a new one. I guess he didn't know how to sharpen them, so one of the sharpening machines would work great for a guy like that.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1minute, 10ring1, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,099
Posts18,464,161
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.