Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 30338
Looking at a Beretta A400. Wanted my daughter to try out a Franchi AL48 but could not find any in our locale. Guess we'll end up with the A400 xplor.

I've owned and have several thousand rounds through a Franchi AL 48 28ga. I've shot everything from doves to Canada geese with it, I dearly love it. That said, I'd not start a new shooter w/the Franchi over a Beretta 400. Between the recoil of the actual ammo and then the bbl coming back and working the action, the recoil w/the Franchi is significant. It's far more than a 7/8oz 20Ga target load from a gas-gun. AA's from the Franchi recoil like 1 Oz field loads from a gas-20. FWIW I have several 20Ga 302/303 Berettas and a half-dozen 391's and I've shot them all back-to-back w/the Franchi often shooting either Skeet or Sporting Clays.

The Franchi also needs a FIRM plant on the shooter's shoulder to cycle reliably. Again, I LOVE the little thing, but, I'd not start a new shooter with it.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by horse1
Looking at a Beretta A400. Wanted my daughter to try out a Franchi AL48 but could not find any in our locale. Guess we'll end up with the A400 xplor.

I've owned and have several thousand rounds through a Franchi AL 48 28ga. I've shot everything from doves to Canada geese with it, I dearly love it. That said, I'd not start a new shooter w/the Franchi over a Beretta 400. Between the recoil of the actual ammo and then the bbl coming back and working the action, the recoil w/the Franchi is significant. It's far more than a 7/8oz 20Ga target load from a gas-gun. AA's from the Franchi recoil like 1 Oz field loads from a gas-20. FWIW I have several 20Ga 302/303 Berettas and a half-dozen 391's and I've shot them all back-to-back w/the Franchi often shooting either Skeet or Sporting Clays.

The Franchi also needs a FIRM plant on the shooter's shoulder to cycle reliably. Again, I LOVE the little thing, but, I'd not start a new shooter with it.
Very well spoken and iI agree whole heartedly........

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Looking at a good deal for the 686 silver pigeon I combo with 20/28” and 28/28” barrels. The 28 gauge is the slimmer model I believe.
All around upland and sporting clays.
Thoughts on this combo?

The 20/28 combo is on the 20 gauge frame and the 28 and 28/410 combo is one their small frame, referred to as the baby frame by some. I have the 28 on the small frame SP1. Mine weighs 6 pounds 4 ounces. My previous 686 Onyx 28 weighed 5 pounds 14 ounces. Both 28 inches. The only difference I can imagine for the weight difference is the wood. My current one seems to have a denser piece of walnut than my old one.
U
I looked hard at the 20/28 gauge combo several years ago. I sure wouldn't be afraid to go that way, especially if your shooting clay target events with the two gauges. I hunted hard with the first Beretta 28 gauge I had. It was my primary upland gun for may years. I got in a side by side sweat for a few years and sold it. It was an expensive mistake. I found out I just don't shoot side by sides as well as O/Us and pumps. So they went down the road and I went back to O/Us and a couple of pumps. I thought hard about the 20/28 combo and the only reason I didn't go that way is I got such a good deal on the Blackwing 20. Then found a good deal on a slightly used 28 gauge SP1.

I really like the 28 for an upland gun, especially with a pointing dog or a close working flusher. I think the combo would offer you some added versatility. Especially is you do any driven bird shooting or want to press the 20 gauge side of the combo into some waterfowl service. From what I've read the TSS shot turns the 28 into an 8 bore (might be a slight exaggeration) but cost a bunch. There are some less expensive 20 gauge non toxic options.

Thanks, I just found a nice used older 686 SP 28” 28 gauge and snagged it. Now to try it on the sporting clays course…

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have a few 20's in O/U and autos as well as 28s. High on my want list is a 20/28 O/U combo Beretta. I thought about a 28/410 combo but had a real "Come to Jesus" and decided that I would get more use out of the 20/28 combo.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice lightweight

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by fuzzytail
Originally Posted by horse1

Very well spoken and iI agree whole heartedly........

I've got a 20 GA AL48 franchi that I bought from a rabbit hunter that is a pleasure to carry but kicks as hard as any semi-auto 12 ga in my safe. Agree, it's not a gun to start a new one on.

W
WMR Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by mag410
Originally Posted by 65BR

How much does a 28 give up to a 20?

25% less shot. Which makes little difference on anything you center up inside of 25 yards or so, but patterns get thin quick past 30 yards.

Couple dollars a box more for shells.

True to scale 28's are very light and quick, but too light and quick to my taste. All of my field shooting is with 1100's and 870's, which weigh about the same as the 20 gauge frames they are built on.

Best summary, IMO. The 20 will always be the most practical choice. It also has a much wider range of useful loads. Lighter, “quicker “ guns are not the advantage that novices imagine. Still, you probably don’t need the game to survive, so get what you want.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I shoot a Franchi 48 AL in 28 gauge over pointing dogs and I love it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have O/U, SxS, and semi-auto in 20 ga. I have O/U and semi-auto in 28 ga. I’ve killed quite a few dove with a 28 ga and love it more than any other gauge. My Franchi 48AL 28 ga is a great gun and I shoot it as well as any gun I own. It’s a great gun when sitting in one spot shooting dove. But if I was buying a 28 today, it would be an O/U or SxS. You may want to reload and you can actually find your shells out of a double. Semi-autos may fling them so far you cannot find them.

You can now find some 28 gauges in 3” chambers. Personally, I wouldn’t buy one because 3” 28s are hard to find and expensive when you do. I know several people that hunt pen raised preserve pheasants with a 28 gauge with 2 3/4” and 3” shells. A good load of 6 shot (Fiocchi Golden Pheasant) out of a 28 gauge will kill them as dead as any other shotgun. But wild pheasant are a different story for me. I have wanted to use one of my 28s on wild birds, but they tend to flush further out and I would pass on too many shots. If I had a good dog, and they flushed close, I would use a 28 without looking back.

The expert at anything was once a beginner.

JC
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
why not 20 and 28 ga?
I like them both

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
IC B3

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Another 28 Gauge fan here. I prefer pumps as that is what I was brought up shooting. Personal favorites are the rem 870 wingmaster IC with VR and browning repro model 12 which I got choke tubes put in. Mostly use them for upland birds but planning to give the M12 a try turkey hunting next year.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
NOT a 28 fan. Had 2 beretta O/U twins one in 20 and one in 28. Still have the 20. I think the frames were the same though. For hunting I'll take the 20. Recoil to me was about the same (same frame and almost same weight gun). 28 ammo was harder to find and more expensive and I think the 20 killed more decisively. The 28 is "cute" and maybe on a 28 frame it would carry better, etc. But don't think I'll ever own another 28. For me the 28 is an excuse to own another gun, but I don't need an excuse to own another 20, or a 12 for that matter. Now if I needed an excuse for another SG with expensive harder to find ammo, a 16 might be it.
I'm in the minority, probably.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (300_savage, 264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 784 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,434
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.