Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I know our horses knows the trails we ride.To keep them honest we do the loop backwards or take different sidetrails. Drives them crazy when we turn off the trail home to do another loop. Aw come on dad lunch is waiting!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thanks for sharing your adventure. Impressive for sure.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
50 years ago when I was at Ft Leonard Wood, one Sunday afternoon 3 of us decided to go for a ride. We went to the post riding academy and checked out 3 plugs. All we could do was sit in the saddles and do nothing but let them follow their own path. I figured out real quick that if I tried to take it anywhere else, I'd have a rodeo. It wasn't worth getting bucked.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
50 years ago when I was at Ft Leonard Wood, one Sunday afternoon 3 of us decided to go for a ride. We went to the post riding academy and checked out 3 plugs. All we could do was sit in the saddles and do nothing but let them follow their own path. I figured out real quick that if I tried to take it anywhere else, I'd have a rodeo. It wasn't worth getting bucked.

About 15 years ago we were at Wallowa Lake Or. and the group that we were with decided that the kids needed to go on a horse ride. So we went up to the stables and signed up for a two hour horse ride. They brought the horses out and started mounting the kids on the horses. I walked up the horse that they had for me and the first thing I did was to start letting the stirrups out so I was not in a jockey position for two hours. One of the wranglers came up and wanted to know what I was doing. He told me that I could not do that, and he would do it for me. After I explained to him I was more that capable he kind of stood there butt hurt but left me along. Once I saddled up and we started up the road to get to the trail I soon learned that I was just along for the ride because no matter what I did to that horse he was not going to take any of my commands. We started up the trail and were the horses walked the trail was worn down to the point that I would have to hold my legs out like wings or tuck them back because the trench was so deep that my stirrups would drag the ground. Most miserable two hours I ever spent on a horse. Tried several times to rein him out of that trench, but he would not take any rein or boot commands.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
nice pictures

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by BluMtn
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

About 15 years ago we were at Wallowa Lake Or. and the group that we were with decided that the kids needed to go on a horse ride. So we went up to the stables and signed up for a two hour horse ride. They brought the horses out and started mounting the kids on the horses. I walked up the horse that they had for me and the first thing I did was to start letting the stirrups out so I was not in a jockey position for two hours. One of the wranglers came up and wanted to know what I was doing. He told me that I could not do that, and he would do it for me. After I explained to him I was more that capable he kind of stood there butt hurt but left me along. Once I saddled up and we started up the road to get to the trail I soon learned that I was just along for the ride because no matter what I did to that horse he was not going to take any of my commands. We started up the trail and were the horses walked the trail was worn down to the point that I would have to hold my legs out like wings or tuck them back because the trench was so deep that my stirrups would drag the ground. Most miserable two hours I ever spent on a horse. Tried several times to rein him out of that trench, but he would not take any rein or boot commands.

Dude horses are about the most stubborn critters.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ironbender

Most never make it off the trail and will fight you if you try.

I hunt mainly in two different units here in Colorado, 200 miles apart.

Each place, for quite a few years, and I ride a mule into where I hunt and then walk a short distance from there. I usually leave camp at 4 AM so I can get to my hunt area before light.Always riding in the dark. I can mount up and point my mule to what trail I need to take and he will take me to the exact tree I always tie up to,without touching the reins. That is maybe 4-6 miles. I have been in a few snow storms where I could not see much and he has taken me back to camp,stopping in front of the tent.Yet if we are going some place new,he will go wherever you point .

Whether mules are in harness, pack saddles or under saddle, if you stop at the same place every time to rest, the mules will begin to stop there all the time and you need to have discussion with them not to. Same with stopping for lunch or quitting for the day.Their internal clock and memory is astounding

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Do s the same, Vince. Coming back to camp, or headed back to the trailhead, in the dark. Give ‘em their head and keep a forearm in front of your face to block tree limbs.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Most never make it off the trail and will fight you if you try.

I hunt mainly in two different units here in Colorado, 200 miles apart.

Each place, for quite a few years, and I ride a mule into where I hunt and then walk a short distance from there. I usually leave camp at 4 AM so I can get to my hunt area before light.Always riding in the dark. I can mount up and point my mule to what trail I need to take and he will take me to the exact tree I always tie up to,without touching the reins. That is maybe 4-6 miles. I have been in a few snow storms where I could not see much and he has taken me back to camp,stopping in front of the tent.Yet if we are going some place new,he will go wherever you point .

Whether mules are in harness, pack saddles or under saddle, if you stop at the same place every time to rest, the mules will begin to stop there all the time and you need to have discussion with them not to. Same with stopping for lunch or quitting for the day.Their internal clock and memory is astounding
During the Depression, my dad worked some route delivery jobs using horses. He said the horses would go from stop to stop and park themselves at the right place every day. All he had to do was unload and tell them to go.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not done it, but a buddy and his wife (experienced horsemen) said it was one of the most terrifying things they'd ever done. Instructions were to look at the wall if one felt insecure.

1Minute
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by 1minute
Not done it, but a buddy and his wife (experienced horsemen) said it was one of the most terrifying things they'd ever done. Instructions were to look at the wall if one felt insecure.

Standing on the rim the day before, I was a bit queasy looking down and was some what anxious about that. At my age I get nervous at the 2nd step of a step ladder. After the first 50 yards on the trail looking at the trail over the mule's ears, I was good. In a mile,I was looking over the edge and marveling at the engineering feat of carving that trail without modern day machinery.

It is not a trail for the faint of heart.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Heeler
I can only imagine how nerve wracking that ride would be for folks not used to it. Those are really good pics and thanks for sharing.

I went to college with a guy that was a wrangler/guide out there in the early-mid 90s. He had some neat pics to share. Said they 'broke-in' new mules by hauling in supplies at night to the Havasupai.

When we were ready to mount up they asked if anyone had experience .My wife jumped up and said he has 50+ years..They put me on a mule that needed a " bit" more seasoning. Everyone else got dead heads.He only had the people thing a few times, but packed. He wasn't impressed with the hikers and hugged the outside of the trail that had the 500 foot drops whenever we passed one and we passed a bunch. He didn't like a mule too close to his butt and crow hopped trying to kick back when one did get too close Try that on a 3 ft wide trail. They told us all mules were trained to direct rein,no neck reining at all.They forgot to tell that to my mule.He didn't do either. It was nerve pucker time for me a few times,but what an adventure for sure

Did you remind your wife about volunteering for anything? LOL...

Riding a trail like that reminds of the first words of advice my uncle gave when I got on a horse the first few times. "Smile with all 4 cheeks."

He went over yonder way
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 1minute

Standing on the rim the day before, I was a bit queasy looking down and was some what anxious about that. At my age I get nervous at the 2nd step of a step ladder. After the first 50 yards on the trail looking at the trail over the mule's ears, I was good. In a mile,I was looking over the edge and marveling at the engineering feat of carving that trail without modern day machinery.

It is not a trail for the faint of heart.

Dammit. That does it. I gots ta do it!

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Saddlesore,

lot of great country down there, appreciate the pictures. Having no riding experience, I have elected to hike that trail. Pretty stove up from the hike when finished, but nothing like I would be if I rode. I like Phantom Ranch, nice shade trees, food is good, and cabins are historic!

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Saddlesore,

lot of great country down there, appreciate the pictures. Having no riding experience, I have elected to hike that trail. Pretty stove up from the hike when finished, but nothing like I would be if I rode. I like Phantom Ranch, nice shade trees, food is good, and cabins are historic!

Sycamore

I met people that never was on a horse or mule in their life, the entire family.The wranglers said the same thing. They were a little sore, but so is hiking. I think you would be surprised how well you do.

In all the years these rides have been going on, one death occurred.That was from a horse rolling over on a wrangler. On the other hand 2-3 days ago a woman hiker was air lifted out of Pantom Ranch from heat stroke and she died. The day I did the ride,another person was air lifted from about 1 mile from the top, She look dead as she was completely covered with wrap. On top of a mule on those rides is probably the safest recreation you can do in the Grand Canyon.

I put it off too many years and only my wife's coaxing got me signed up. I would do it again in a heart beat if I wasn't so old and gimped up.

Last edited by saddlesore; 06/24/21.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Any imagine the temps down in the canyon with the heat wave there now.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

My son just came back from 3 weeks on the Colorado river in grand Canyon, he said the last week was terrible it was so hot no could sleep, the heat made several people very sick, my son said it will take him a week to get back to normal, and he is in great shape. Rio7

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Any imagine the temps down in the canyon with the heat wave there now.

It was 93 at Phantom Ranch on April 3 when I did it. I think I heard it was above 110 a few days ago.

I worked out the the Nevada desert for years not far from Death Valley. 108-110 was common. You learn quick,never to leave a tool out in the sun when we work outside. We weekended in Vegas and it was usually 103-104.

Before I retired in 2003,I was sending crews to Saudia, down in the SE Empty Quarter 130 common

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Couple years ago i and 2 other adults took a group of 12 to 14 year old boy scouts on a hike of the canyon. Late september, it was 35 degrees when we started at the south kiabab trail. Hit the river and 90+ degrees. Went up the bight angel trail. Took about 12 hours to do.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
677 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.