24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
If I was dumb enough to want a 1911 I'd get Springfield's Ronin.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
BP-B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Recently got a Taurus PT 1911. I can find no fault with it.

The way life should be.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Why that model?

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by JCS271
I have only owned two 1911's that were NO FAIL. Springfield Armory Ronin and a Sig Scorpion.

I'll never buy another Kimber!

Same. I've owned two Kimber 1911s. Never again.

Interesting that you will not give specifics on the Kimbers, but you praise Springfield Armory even though they were willing to sell out gun dealers in Illinois back in 2017 after carving out an exemption for themselves and Rock Island. Plus I am sure that no SA 1911 has ever had a problem, never had to go back to the factory, even though there are thousands of hits for FF, jams, fail to lock back etc.
Now as far as Colt, I know for a fact that absolutely no 1911 they ever built needed work, all came fro the factory perfect, 100% reliable. Except for jams, FF, fail to extract properly etc. I mean absolutely no one has ever had to tune an extractor on a Colt, or the trigger. Also know for a fact that that collet barrel bushing they went to in the 70’s has never ever broken or needed tuned. Quite far fetched as quite a few gunsmiths made a pretty good living tuning and upgrading those perfect Colts.

So how about some specifics.

Swifty
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
On the two Kimber 1911s I owned in the 1990s, the issue was unreliability. A friend of mine had one, too, that was also unreliable. He couldn't wait to get rid of his, too, and also vowed never to buy another Kimber. He actually sent his back to Kimber a couple of times before giving up and selling it at a gun show.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Why that model?

MM

The newer Springfields I've been around ran really well and it comes in 9mm and it doesn't have a rail and it's about the limit I'd pay for a 1911 that I wanted to shoot a bunch.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned two Kimber 1911's over the years. One was an early 5" steel frame Custom that was an excellent pistol. Ran reliable , accurate, ect. wish I had that one back. The second was the Tactical Pro II, a 4" alloy frame model with the external extractor. On paper and at the gun shop it seemed great, lots of bells and whistles. On the initial range visit it was obvious it shot low, like 24" low! I figured out it had the wrong front sight. Kimber has 3", 4" and 5" guns and they all have different front sights. I swapped out the front sight for the correct height and solved that problem. At just under 900 rounds the MIM magazine catch broke, dumped the magazine and literally crumbled into pieces and metallic dust in my hand while firing the gun. I installed a new heat treated tool steel Ed Brown mag catch. Then that mouse trap external extractor design started acting up. What a cluster [bleep] of plastic parts and itty bitty springs that was. IIRC Kimber had three different extractor hooks and a couple different springs for that ridiculous design. I think Kimber went back to the traditional internal design soon after I got rid of the Tactical Pro.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve come to the conclusion the old saying is right. Buy once , and cry once. Instead of buying a bunch you are not happy with and selling them. Pick out a good one and spend the money . In the end you will come out ahead.
Mine is a Les Baer Concept V. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TWR
I’m trying to avoid a Dan Wesson but right now, I think it’s the best deal out there for a quality gun.

Do not resist young man, they are a hell of a well built 1911, my DW 10mm will never be for sale as long as i'm drawing air., 11 rounds on board with 3 skinny 10 round Tripp mags in a rear pocket and you're set for about anything one can run into in the woods.

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
I’ve come to the conclusion the old saying is right. Buy once , and cry once. Instead of buying a bunch you are not happy with and selling them. Pick out a good one and spend the money . In the end you will come out ahead.
Mine is a Les Baer Concept V. Hasbeen

Can't go wrong that way.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by TWR
I’m trying to avoid a Dan Wesson but right now, I think it’s the best deal out there for a quality gun.

Do not resist young man, they are a hell of a well built 1911, my DW 10mm will never be for sale as long as i'm drawing air., 11 rounds on board with 3 skinny 10 round Tripp mags in a rear pocket and you're set for about anything one can run into in the woods.

Dan Wesson's reputation is excellent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two right now, sold a couple that I didn't shoot much. One was a Metro arms that ran flawlessly, the other was a Para LDA.

Sold the Para 'cause I just didn't like the trigger, nothing wrong with it, I just found it "different" enough that I didn't like it. The Para hi-cap mags were unreliable, too. the 10-rounders ran good but the 14s didn't.

Sold the Metro to a young man that wanted a 1911 and didn't have gobs of money to spend. It was a damn good and reliable basic pistol.

I now have a Ruger and a Kimber Custom II, both have been reliable as a .45 ACP, the only malfunction I've had were when the follower broke in a Ruger mag.

The Ruger has been converted to .45 Super and handles .45 ACP just fine as long as it's not a flea-fart load. I have a 460 Rowland kit I fitted to my Kimber, and it is also very reliable. It takes less than 5 minutes to convert back to .45 ACP. Both pistols had aftermarket extractors, firing pins, and adjustable sights added and the Ruger barrel was honed to allow some bullet profiles to feed better and be seated out further.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

After conversions to .45 Super, .460 Roland.

After all that talking, I'll say that it's real hard not to say that the Ruger is the one I call my favorite.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Don't see much mention of S&W but I'm pretty satisfied with a couple of them - an adjustable sight target model and a scandium frame Commander.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ok, so we have unreliability which is rather broad and could encompass many things. But here again it’s really nothing uncommon to the 1911 without some tweaking.

Then we have MIM parts complaint for a Kimber, but unfortunately Colt and SA both use MIM parts just as extensively. Seems there are just as many complaints.
So what it boils down to is that any 1911 under 1200 bucks ( I may be a bit low) or a full custom has MIM parts and is just as prone to have reliability issues as any other maker. Good probability that all the MIM parts are done by 1 or 2 makers for all 1911’s.
As far as the external extractor ala S&W, I always thought it was a stupid idea.

Swifty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Why that model?

MM

The newer Springfields I've been around ran really well and it comes in 9mm and it doesn't have a rail and it's about the limit I'd pay for a 1911 that I wanted to shoot a bunch.

Uh-huh.................that model is no better or worse than a dozen other current production 1911's. But it is good. And I like it. But it's not "better".

YMMV

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kimber got a well deserved bad rep with the series of guns produced with external extractors & that rep doesn't seem to go away. Their mags during that time were a problem also & even today, I will rarely use a Kimber mag w/o extensive testing.

Their initial series was good & the current versions are OK; but anyone buying a Kimber today would be well advised to completely strip the gun & check all parts for fit & function & make what adjustments might be necessary.

Generally, at worst & for the most part, some minor tweaking may be needed but Kimber likes to attempt to imply that their guns are "custom" built & nothing is further from the truth...............they are assembled from parts bins by minimally knowledgeable people.

Kimber makes more 1911's than most other manufacturers combined, but they are not a higher end, semi-custom gun comparable to DW or even to S&W or Colt, IMO. They are pure mid-range at best.

Having said that, I have 2 of the newer versions, both TLE II's, a Pro 4" & a Gov't 5", & after a little tweaking/tuning before the guns were ever fired, bypassing the FPS, & with using good magazines, neither gun has ever hiccupped................not once, through several hundred rounds each.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have 3 1911's. All are reliable. Oldest is a S&W lightweight commander that has 5000+ rounds through it. Newest is a Dan Wesson Vigil (lightweight commander) and has been reliable with the 500 rounds put through it . The last one is a Tisas A1 that has been reliable for 600+ rounds. All are 45 acp. Dan Wesson is my favorite carry and night stand gun.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've had some name brand customs and sold them because my Rugers ran and shot just as well. I've also had good results from newer Colts, though don't know if anything this changed with Colt with the sale of the company. With that said and this is personal to me, my 1911s generally get left in the safe these days as I almost always grab a Glock or revolver.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My favorite is a custom build by the crew at Doug Turnbulls. Fit and finish is second to none. Extremely accurate. And good to look at too. A bit pricey, but fantastic 1911’’s
Here is some background on one of their models. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGI1kzyE5-8

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Why that model?

MM

Uh-huh.................that model is no better or worse than a dozen other current production 1911's. But it is good. And I like it. But it's not "better".

YMMV

MM

I never claimed it was better.

I was telling my friend which one I would buy.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
691 members (222Sako, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222ND, 16penny, 74 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.