Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Anyone use Provence herb mixture? A simple mixture that adds flavour to so many things. We’ve bought it packaged before, but today we went out and bought enough herbs and spices to last a year for less than $2 from our local bulk foods store.

There are plenty of different combinations, but we used 1 tablespoon each of marjoram, dried basil, rosemary, ground fennel, thyme, summer savoury. You can even combine them with olive oil for a fragrant and tasty oil for salad dressings. There are recipes for even more combinations of herbs.

https://www.spiceography.com/cooking-with-herbes-de-provence/

It’s useful for so many dishes, as rubs on meat, veggies, soups, stews. Super versatile and awesome in a beef stew or beef barley soup.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/collection/herbs-de-provence-uses/

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
We use tons of it..

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
L
Never used it, but have used most all of the ingredients in one way or another.

Wbb

Care to share the ratios/amounts of each of the herbs you used?

Last edited by LouisB; 04/18/21.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
My stepmother made potato salad that included Herbes de Provence, it was some of the best potato salad I've ever had.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
herbes de provence is mostly an affectation tossed around by effete home cooks. The ingredients usually include Rosemary, fennel, basil, savory, thyme, oregano and others. Some include even lavender, dill, chervil.
I put together a mix that suits me better, with Oregano, Basil, Marjoram, Thyme and Rosemary

Sam......

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
Geez, I guess I'd better quit using Montreal Steak Spice, bbq rubs and salad dressings, then. Wouldn't want to be effete.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Geez, I guess I'd better quit using Montreal Steak Spice, bbq rubs and salad dressings, then. Wouldn't want to be effete.

Never go full effete!

I've wanted to try some, the recipes I've seen contain lavender and in the last few years our bushes have taken off so I've no shortage of that.

What Mannlicher mixes up is known around our family as "homemade Italian seasoning", which I make up and use instead of the store bought stuff in the spice aisle.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
What I’ve read, lavender is optional. I like the smell of it but it gives me a headache, so I’d leave it out.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
What I’ve read, lavender is optional. I like the smell of it but it gives me a headache, so I’d leave it out.

Even our bushes can be overpowering.

I wanted to try a tiny bit, just to see what it might be like.

I've had a baked good or two with some lavender flavor that was not too strong. But I'm "fragrance sensitive", wife can't even wear most perfumes or I start to gagging and choking, This is a hard time of the year for me, with all the lawn chemicals and bug killers out in every store, sometimes right outside the door so I have to walk past it. And I have to rush through the soap aisle in the grocery and grab my unscented stuff quicklike.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

714 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 72 invisible), 3,042 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,583
Posts18,454,227
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.