Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Doing some initial research: For the horse inexperienced, what should I look at if I get a couple for me, wife and kids to trail ride? I'm thinking mules, though my wife may not like that in that the last time she was on one, my uncle's mule broke about a 3" diameter dead pine limb on her leg eek.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have been using ,breeding,training mules for 40+ years. I only have two now. The most important factor with a mule is it's disposition.That not only is determined by the parents, but also how they have been treated in life. You can get flighty mules from warm bloods or hot bloods, but most bad mules are caused by humans.
It takes a special person to own and use mules. "A" type personalities typically have problems.You have to have patience, a sense of humor,and calm personality.Unless it is an exceptional mule,they are not good to start kids or inexperienced riders on.

Being inexperienced with equines, mules are not a good starter. Good mules are bringing top dollar today. $3000 only gets you started.Stay away from rescues or unkown dealers/seller. I would advise first start with an older proven horse.If you are set on a mule,again find an older,trained, been there done that mule .

Be aware that the good mule you looked at and rode might not act the same when you get it home.Mules take time to settle in with their new owners. It might take a few weeks,a few months or a year.Depends on the training, how well it was treated, how many people it has been around, and what it has been exposed to.Beware of sellers advertising mules 4-7 years old as kid/wife,all around broke.There is saying that mules should not be born until they are 7 years old.Up until that time,you truthfully don't know what you have.

If you know about horses forget all that. You will need to start over. Tack and how you fit it are different, .

One resource is Paul Garrison III on FB. That guy knows mules. Two things .A good mule is 10 times better than a good horse, but a bad mule is 100 worse than bad horse.People say that mule will take care of you and won't hurt you.WRONG. A mule will take care of themselves and you profit from that by being it's rider.It could care less about you.They have a high self preservation instinct.

Keep you wife happy.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/17/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What's that old saying?? "A horse will kill you by accident. A mule will kill you on purpose." grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
What's that old saying?? "A horse will kill you by accident. A mule will kill you on purpose." grin

L.W.

The secret here is you can't fix the accident part, but you can raise and train a mule so it don't want to kill you. I have had few of the kill you type, just not the ones I raised myself.

Last edited by saddlesore; 04/17/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Whether you decide mule or horse, best advice I've heard:

Between the two of you, one of you had better know what the hell you are doing.

If inexperienced, a bulletproof horse (or I assume mule) can teach you a lot. So can a mentor. I'm early in the journey but have helpful family and friends.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Listen to saddlesore re: long eared half assed horses.

Rule of thumb:
The younger/inexperienced the rider; the older the horse.

Definitely do not get a 3yo and think you’ll train it so it’s yours. That’s a great way to get hurt.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If the rider is inexperienced, it is best the horse or mule knows more.Green on green= black and blue.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A few years ago, a guy in our church bought a huge mule for packing. It was a beauty, standing over 17 hands. It was about the tallest mule I've ever seen. After 1 hunting season, he sold it. Have you ever tried to load 1/4 elk on a mule that tall?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Pack the mule...ride the horse. Riding mules require an experienced, deeply suspicious, cunning rider also mentally capable of treachery....just to be on an even playing field with the mule.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
A few years ago, a guy in our church bought a huge mule for packing. It was a beauty, standing over 17 hands. It was about the tallest mule I've ever seen. After 1 hunting season, he sold it. Have you ever tried to load 1/4 elk on a mule that tall?

Try it when you are only 5'-5". My pack mule is 13hds. My saddle mule is13-2

Originally Posted by flintlocke
Riding mules require an experienced, deeply suspicious, cunning rider also mentally capable of treachery....just to be on an even playing field with the mule.

Very true and I am .However, the horse has more of a chance of falling off the mountain, so I ride the mule. It's been 25+year since I owned a horse

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
My uncle has always been a mule advocate. He usually has several. In hindsight, it seems that his mule (Molly Brown) that broke the branch on my (then-soon-to-be) wife's leg did so after being coerced to cross a large piece of deadfall. I was behind my wife and saw it all going down and knew it was intentional on old MB's part but after reading this thread remembered her not wanting to cross the log. This thread makes me think the branch was revenge for the log. We were riding in some pretty rough country that day on some private land bordering Philmont Scout Ranch in Cimmaron Canyon. There were more than a few opportunities for the mules to throw us off a cliff and in hindsight I didn't trust my riding ability nor did I trust the mules. More than a little pucker factor that day.

After reading this, I think I may look into horses.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,358 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,252
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.