Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Hello all,,,,was doing a little local gun shop browsing yesterday, guy has a pre 64 model 70 featherweight in 30/06,,,,made 1953,,, beautiful orig. cond then I noticed it had one of those dime sized compasses imbedded at rear of stock on top near butt plate. Very well done and still worked fine. All orig. other than this. Rest of gun looks like it was never hunted or used much. Checkering still sharp, sight hood present,,I would est. around 98% finish wood and metal. He wants $1100 otd. Any thoughts on price ?? thanks

Last edited by monty852; 04/17/21.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d do it myself. If that clean it’d make a great hunter.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I would most likely buy as a shooter at that price.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sounds like a nice gun for the money. A great deer rifle

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
According to Rules book 3006 Fwt was never offered until 1955. Should have alum butt plate not steel. Are you sure its a Fwt and NOT a standard?

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by monty852
Hello all,,,,was doing a little local gun shop browsing yesterday, guy has a pre 64 model 70 featherweight in 30/06,,,,made 1953,,, beautiful orig. cond then I noticed it had one of those dime sized compasses imbedded at rear of stock on top near butt plate. Very well done and still worked fine. All orig. other than this. Rest of gun looks like it was never hunted or used much. Checkering still sharp, sight hood present,,I would est. around 98% finish wood and metal. He wants $1100 otd. Any thoughts on price ?? thanks

Holy chidt. Another great thread. For one thing, the first year for the 30-06 featherweight was 1955... Just a FYI.. It's also in "original condition" with a compass in the stock. I always get a good laugh at this chidt.. You got 3 guys saying hit the buy it now button, not even paying attention to that simple as f fact.. Carry on though. A wild azzed guess here. It's either a re-barreled rifle or a standard weight. Seems there are a lot of guys that don't know the difference between a fwt and std wt. No guess on value, as the rifle could be either of the 2. Get us some good info and pics and we can give you a very good idea on price/value. The stock is pretty much worthless. The barreled action is an unknown.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
OK, great info guys,,, I am not a model 70 expert, but I know the rifle did have an aluminum butt plate and I did notice also the receiver was factory D+T and it had a fold down rear sight that looked factory. I am thinking it is a featherweight because of the light weight of the rifle and it also was stamped on barrel. Boy did that thing handle and shoulder nice !! My guess is the guy at the shop got the date wrong.. Will be going back this week for more info if it is still there. This shop is one of the few left in my area that does not list their guns on gunbroker or other internet sights. Will get serial number also.

Last edited by monty852; 04/17/21. Reason: add

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Holy chidt. Another great thread. For one thing, the first year for the 30-06 featherweight was 1955... Just a FYI.. It's also in "original condition" with a compass in the stock. I always get a good laugh at this chidt.. You got 3 guys saying hit the buy it now button, not even paying attention to that simple as f fact.. Carry on though. A wild azzed guess here. It's either a re-barreled rifle or a standard weight. Seems there are a lot of guys that don't know the difference between a fwt and std wt. No guess on value, as the rifle could be either of the 2. Get us some good info and pics and we can give you a very good idea on price/value. The stock is pretty much worthless. The barreled action is an unknown.

That corona shot you got has made you an angry fella..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S

Lol. smile

Mine's a '56. Not much chance of it leaving the homestead.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by 79S

Lol. smile

The 58 featherweight BSA sold me is a great rifle and it shoots 178 ELD-X very well.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I harvested my last two whitetails with my '57 vintage .30-06 FWT, were I to be younger I would build a .35 Whelen on a pre'64 Featherweight.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I harvested my last two whitetails with my '57 vintage .30-06 FWT, were I to be younger I would build a .35 Whelen on a pre'64 Featherweight.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by 79S

Lol. smile

The 58 featherweight BSA sold me is a great rifle and it shoots 178 ELD-X very well.

Awesome, 79S.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 35 invisible), 1,951 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,432
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.