Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Still waiting for an example to back up the claim in the thread title.

Might as well say John Kerry is a hunting and gun rights supporter. After all, he's rich as fugk and hunts, and shoots right?

MAGA
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
He was an active advocate and supporter of shooting and hunting all his life, and not just for the rich, but for everyone.

From the British Association for Shooting and Conservation:

BASC has extended its deepest condolences to Her Majesty the Queen and the Royal family following the death of the association’s patron, His Royal Highness Prince Philip on 9 April 2021 at the age of 99.

BASC chairman Eoghan Cameron said: “Everyone at BASC is deeply saddened at the passing of Prince Philip. Our thoughts are with Her Majesty the Queen and the Royal family.

“The Duke of Edinburgh was the association’s patron for more than half a century and exemplified the ideals of sporting shooting and conservation. A keen shot, who enjoyed punt-gunning on the Wash as much as game shooting at Sandringham, he also had a passion for conservation.”

Prince Philip became the first royal patron of the Wildfowlers’ Association of Great Britain and Ireland (WAGBI) – later to become BASC – in the year of its diamond jubilee, 1968.

BASC president Lord Geoffrey Dear said: “We extend our deepest condolences to Her Majesty the Queen and the Royal family on the death of His Royal Highness Prince Philip.

“Prince Philip keenly understood the importance of a strong relationship between conservation and shooting. He served first WAGBI and then BASC as patron for more than 50 years and shooting will forever be in his debt for the guidance he provided during a period of unprecedented change in shooting and the countryside.”

Always taking a keen interest in the affairs of BASC, Prince Philip wrote a personal introduction to The Handbook of Shooting – the Sporting Shotgun – which has been continuously in print for more than 30 years. He continued to advise the association until his death.

Also

Inevitably his love of shooting led to questions being asked about his role as president of the World Wildlife Fund International (WWF), a position which he held from 1981 to 1991. On the BBC’s Natural History Programme he was asked how, as a conservationist, he could justify shooting. “It’s not a question of justifying it,” he replied. “The majority of people who have taken the initiative in the world of conservation have been people who learnt about the need for conservation through their hunting or shooting activities, because you very soon discover what’s happening in the countryside if you are involved in a sport.

“Hunters and shooters want to make sure there’s something there the following year. There’s a big difference between the conservation of species and the survival of the individual member of a species… we’re concerned with the practical problem of the survival of the species as a whole.”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I can't do that. At least he was a hunter, and advocate for hunting. Merry Olde England and all that...pip pip

Yeah, it's neat he liked to shoot and hunt. The title of the thread says he was a gun rights supporter. That isn't in the article cited. More like a "he really liked being able to travel the world and hunt and shoot things. Especially here at home in jolly old England where the hoi polloi cannot".

Now, if he had used his position to fight for gun rights for the Brits I'd down a bit of gin and tip the hat to him.

Perhaps you should dig a little deeper into the issue before you condemn him so harshly:

https://www.nytimes.com/1996/12/20/world/prince-philip-angers-britons-on-gun-control.html

Prince Philip Angers Britons on Gun Control

Dec. 20, 1996

Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, spoke out in a broadcast today against pending handgun legislation, using an offhand analogy to cricket, and promptly found himself at the center of the latest round of dismay over the conduct of the British royal family.

In a radio interview on the BBC, the husband of Queen Elizabeth II sought to raise the argument commonly advanced against laws curbing the private ownership of weapons -- that it is not guns that are to blame but the people who use them. But he did so with a simile that struck people as insensitive to the traumatic event in British life that gave rise to the legislation, the massacre last March of 16 schoolchildren and their teacher in the Scottish town of Dunblane by a man armed with four handguns.

Asked where the Duke stood in a debate that the interviewer noted had become ''a very sensitive issue in the aftermath of Dunblane,'' the Prince said, ''I sympathize desperately with the people who are bereaved at Dunblane.'' But then he added, ''Look, if a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?''

An avid hunter, the Prince, 75, said that sportsmen were being punished for the action of criminals. ''I can't believe that the members of the shooting clubs are any more dangerous than members of a squash club or a golf club or anything else. I mean, they're perfectly reasonable people,'' he said with a convivial laugh. ''There's no evidence that people who use weapons for sport are any more dangerous than people who use golf clubs or tennis rackets or cricket bats.''

The text of the interview was made public Wednesday night and produced widespread and immediate outcries of disbelief and condemnation from parents of the slain children and Members of Parliament. From the House of Commons, the Prince was denounced as ''crass'' and ''insensitive'' and told to stop ''blundering'' into politics.

Show me where he actively supported gun ownership by the common man.

I just did. He said as much as anybody in England said, more so than most.

Show me the UK chapter of the NRA??

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rem141r
i doubt he ever donned duck pants and kicked brushpiles for bunnies. but ya, at least he wasn't a militant lib.

Actually...as much as it grates me to say so, yes that man would have. And from what I understand of him he would have also been down in the muck helping change a tyre.

Pretty sure he was the best of the lot.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
He seemed like a classy guy. Probably not pro 2A as we understand it but that’s what makes Americans Americans. England going back to at least the Middle Ages was a nation of hunting land and bows and eventually firearms being the tools and sports of the rich. Viewed through that prism and time he was what he was but seemed like a genuinely decent guy.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dan_oz
He was an active advocate and supporter of shooting and hunting all his life, and not just for the rich, but for everyone.

From the British Association for Shooting and Conservation:

BASC has extended its deepest condolences to Her Majesty the Queen and the Royal family following the death of the association’s patron, His Royal Highness Prince Philip on 9 April 2021 at the age of 99.

BASC chairman Eoghan Cameron said: “Everyone at BASC is deeply saddened at the passing of Prince Philip. Our thoughts are with Her Majesty the Queen and the Royal family.

“The Duke of Edinburgh was the association’s patron for more than half a century and exemplified the ideals of sporting shooting and conservation. A keen shot, who enjoyed punt-gunning on the Wash as much as game shooting at Sandringham, he also had a passion for conservation.”

Prince Philip became the first royal patron of the Wildfowlers’ Association of Great Britain and Ireland (WAGBI) – later to become BASC – in the year of its diamond jubilee, 1968.

BASC president Lord Geoffrey Dear said: “We extend our deepest condolences to Her Majesty the Queen and the Royal family on the death of His Royal Highness Prince Philip.

“Prince Philip keenly understood the importance of a strong relationship between conservation and shooting. He served first WAGBI and then BASC as patron for more than 50 years and shooting will forever be in his debt for the guidance he provided during a period of unprecedented change in shooting and the countryside.”

Always taking a keen interest in the affairs of BASC, Prince Philip wrote a personal introduction to The Handbook of Shooting – the Sporting Shotgun – which has been continuously in print for more than 30 years. He continued to advise the association until his death.

Also

Inevitably his love of shooting led to questions being asked about his role as president of the World Wildlife Fund International (WWF), a position which he held from 1981 to 1991. On the BBC’s Natural History Programme he was asked how, as a conservationist, he could justify shooting. “It’s not a question of justifying it,” he replied. “The majority of people who have taken the initiative in the world of conservation have been people who learnt about the need for conservation through their hunting or shooting activities, because you very soon discover what’s happening in the countryside if you are involved in a sport.

“Hunters and shooters want to make sure there’s something there the following year. There’s a big difference between the conservation of species and the survival of the individual member of a species… we’re concerned with the practical problem of the survival of the species as a whole.”

Thank you for adding that to this thread.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Prince Philip's funeral, live right now in St. George's Chapel on the Windsor Castle grounds. Looks nearly like a cathedral to me:

https://www.nytimes.com/video/world/europe/100000007715477/live-stream-prince-phillip-funeral.html

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
He also liked the kiddies

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
War hero. Was in some pretty good scrapes in the MED and the Pacific during WWII. An avid hunter. Today he was laid to rest and I broke open a bottle of Dalmore 18 and toasted him at eight bells.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Keep a stiff upper lip, y'all.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jorgeI
War hero. Was in some pretty good scrapes in the MED and the Pacific during WWII. An avid hunter. Today he was laid to rest and I broke open a bottle of Dalmore 18 and toasted him at eight bells.

Has zero to do with gun rights.

I have no doubt he liked to hunt and shoot. What did he do to let/keep the common man in his country enjoy those pursuits as well?

Still waiting.

Life is good as a royal lol.

He can ruffle some feathers by saying something, GASP, unPC and the sheep flock to him.

MAGA
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
Originally Posted by jorgeI

Has zero to do with gun rights.

I have no doubt he liked to hunt and shoot. What did he do to let/keep the common man in his country enjoy those pursuits as well?

Still waiting.

Life is good as a royal lol.

He can ruffle some feathers by saying something, GASP, unPC and the sheep flock to him.

Do you know how to read?

He commented against gun control. Since the Royal Family are not supposed to comment on political issues, he was criticized for this.

That was a helluva lot more than your last three presidents, one of whom refused to lift the ban on importing African trophies and also eliminated bump stocks.

Much as I liked Trump, he didn't do much for gun rights except talk about it. Then there was Bush #1 who abolished AK47 imports.

Last edited by IndyCA35; 04/17/21.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dang he commented against gun control...holy s hit!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Dang he commented against gun control...holy s hit!

Yeah. I'd think before I'd label him as a gun rights supporter he'd do more than comment lol.

BUT HE WASN"T SUPPOSED TO. bestill my heart.

But then again, I don't hold to the whole nobility are better than than us and live by different rules.

Indy is a bitch, a fugking mask wearing covtard and never refuses the opportunity to prove it. If one were to listen to them audibly, they'd just sound like baaa baaa baaa

MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,661
Posts18,399,311
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.