Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
does anyone in the states breed and or hunt DD DK that have a high fur drive?

Jonathan Henson
BP-B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I'm not sure what is considered high fur drive. However I currently own 2 DD and had another one who has passed away. My first DD hated cats and would take one out at any chance, I lost count of how many she took out (probably in the 20s), she got a couple of ground hogs too. We don't really go after fur while hunting but it adds to the adventure while on walks or bird hunting. My current dog in the last 3 years while on walks or bird hunting has killed a mountain lion cub, 6 or so raccoons and a couple of feral house cats. My puppy was learning the game when my older dog was fighting the raccoons, always righ there in the mix but did not jump on the raccoon but she did start chasing them by the end of the hunt (she was about 6 months old at the time). I could deer hunt with my older dog, she has pointed many-many bedded deer while bird hunting. She has pointed and chased several coyotes and foxes but never able to catch one. She has chased a black bear, and last year we had a nice point that turned out to be a black bear that surprised me when I flushed it! They also point rattle snakes and porcupines. I have a friend who has used his 2 DDs to hunt mountain lions here in Montana, I think in the last 2 seasons they've treed at least 4 lions and harvested at least 2 of them.
I'd say most DDs have a pretty high fur drive. High enough that I want to hunt 2 dogs together to look out for each other when one tangles with a big old raccoon. I have hunted with other dogs who showed no interest or desire to jump in and help with the raccoons. Because of the DD fur drive I always carry a 22 pistol while out on walks to help the fights end faster if needed. I hope this helps

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
jonboy900 your PM mailbox is full

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by tops911
I'm not sure what is considered high fur drive. However I currently own 2 DD and had another one who has passed away. My first DD hated cats and would take one out at any chance, I lost count of how many she took out (probably in the 20s), she got a couple of ground hogs too. We don't really go after fur while hunting but it adds to the adventure while on walks or bird hunting. My current dog in the last 3 years while on walks or bird hunting has killed a mountain lion cub, 6 or so raccoons and a couple of feral house cats. My puppy was learning the game when my older dog was fighting the raccoons, always righ there in the mix but did not jump on the raccoon but she did start chasing them by the end of the hunt (she was about 6 months old at the time). I could deer hunt with my older dog, she has pointed many-many bedded deer while bird hunting. She has pointed and chased several coyotes and foxes but never able to catch one. She has chased a black bear, and last year we had a nice point that turned out to be a black bear that surprised me when I flushed it! They also point rattle snakes and porcupines. I have a friend who has used his 2 DDs to hunt mountain lions here in Montana, I think in the last 2 seasons they've treed at least 4 lions and harvested at least 2 of them.
I'd say most DDs have a pretty high fur drive. High enough that I want to hunt 2 dogs together to look out for each other when one tangles with a big old raccoon. I have hunted with other dogs who showed no interest or desire to jump in and help with the raccoons. Because of the DD fur drive I always carry a 22 pistol while out on walks to help the fights end faster if needed. I hope this helps

cool the reason i ask the old man that told me about the breed said when he was younger on his parents ranche his pointed birds brought back ducks and treed bobcats and coons and run down rabbits fox and bayed up coyotes hogs and deer. that got me to reading about the breeds seems like there were areas in germany there were areas were fur game like rabbits fox hogs and deer were more common then birds whice would be like around here. then i found out the few people that had them in the southeast were i am at would take the same pair of dogs that hunted bobwhits or doves with and throw them on a coyote or hog track and have a good chanch of running them down. so it sounded like a pair of them could take down just about anything around here.

Jonathan Henson
J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by longarm
jonboy900 your PM mailbox is full

sorry man seem it will not let me get them yet being a new guy

Jonathan Henson
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A pair of drahts could take down a lot of things in KY I would think. My second male is 1 year old now and my older one is 4. The older one is very fur sharp. Young one has not had any chance yet but being the older dogs cousin, I anticipate he will as well. I run them together some but tend to alternate them. They are a cool breed that is very intelligent, athletic, and close with their trainers. I'll have nothing but them from here on out.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Older one retrieving a coyote I shot while sharptail hunting.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
jonboy900 I will add that although the fur sharpness adds to the adventure there is always a risk. I have a friend who's big male DD was killed by a big nasty raccoon. The DDs may be tuff but bad things can and do happen. I happen to live in big predator country, grizzlies, black bears, wolves and mountain lions and I always worry about bad things when we are out.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
oh yeah i know that all to well being raised by coon hunters i have seen more then one big hound get cut up by a big bore coon, which from the little bit i have found of guys hunting predators run 2-3 DD togother and some times even bigger catch dogs with them

Jonathan Henson
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Know a guy in S AL that breeds and tests DK's. He has some trained in Brinsel (?) work. Not sure if I spelled that right.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tops911
jonboy900 I will add that although the fur sharpness adds to the adventure there is always a risk. I have a friend who's big male DD was killed by a big nasty raccoon. The DDs may be tuff but bad things can and do happen. I happen to live in big predator country, grizzlies, black bears, wolves and mountain lions and I always worry about bad things when we are out.

agree. They are bred to go after smaller game like rabbits, not coons, cats, badgers coyotes. They' ll track larger game well. Ask the guys that hunt birds out west and their DD's keep going after porcupines, badgers, skunks very aggressively. You should see the damage and vet bills a DD experiences after it keeps attacking a porcupine or badger and can't get called off by its owner. I ran into a guy hunting out in Montana a few years ago whose DD was just killed by a badger. His prey drive was so strong the owner could not get him off.

great breed but vet for their prey drive

something to think about

Last edited by ribka; 04/21/21.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They'll go after whatever you let them go after. I've been teaching "Leave It" with the use of a collar and at year 1, I expect 100% compliance. Youngest just did his VJP test and when the chukar flushed and he took about 8 running steps after it, I commanded "Leave It" and he immediately stopped and returned to me. Collars not allowed on test days of course. So the desire is there but if you are going to run one, you'd better have strong control on them. Older one will jump deer and ignore them now with no issues.

That said, a porky can deliver a lot of damage before you even know what is going on if the dog is working at a distance. Have had other breeds get involved with them too though.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 30338
They'll go after whatever you let them go after. I've been teaching "Leave It" with the use of a collar and at year 1, I expect 100% compliance. Youngest just did his VJP test and when the chukar flushed and he took about 8 running steps after it, I commanded "Leave It" and he immediately stopped and returned to me. Collars not allowed on test days of course. So the desire is there but if you are going to run one, you'd better have strong control on them. Older one will jump deer and ignore them now with no issues.

That said, a porky can deliver a lot of damage before you even know what is going on if the dog is working at a distance. Have had other breeds get involved with them too though.

"leave it" command very important.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I used to breed Drahthaar’s and routinely used them on wild hogs. They would catch on smaller pigs and bay up larger ones.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I use my DD to keep bears out of our yard. He started doing that on his own at 6 months of age. He's just not afraid of them like he should be.

Last edited by castnblast; 09/02/21.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
689 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 80 invisible), 2,774 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.