Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Ok, so we have unreliability which is rather broad and could encompass many things. But here again it’s really nothing uncommon to the 1911 without some tweaking.

Then we have MIM parts complaint for a Kimber, but unfortunately Colt and SA both use MIM parts just as extensively. Seems there are just as many complaints.
So what it boils down to is that any 1911 under 1200 bucks ( I may be a bit low) or a full custom has MIM parts and is just as prone to have reliability issues as any other maker. Good probability that all the MIM parts are done by 1 or 2 makers for all 1911’s.
As far as the external extractor ala S&W, I always thought it was a stupid idea.

But I have two Springfield Armory 1911s that have never malfunctioned. Heck, I have a $300.00 Tisas 1911 that's never malfunctioned. My two Kimbers, and that of my friend, were jamomatics.

BP-B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by TWR
I’m trying to avoid a Dan Wesson but right now, I think it’s the best deal out there for a quality gun.

Do not resist young man, they are a hell of a well built 1911, my DW 10mm will never be for sale as long as i'm drawing air., 11 rounds on board with 3 skinny 10 round Tripp mags in a rear pocket and you're set for about anything one can run into in the woods.

Dan Wesson's reputation is excellent.

Yessir, not saying much, but you'd need to find a better shooter than me to find difference in my DW vs Les Baer, if that front sight is where it's supposed to be when the trigger breaks those two will put the bullets in there every time.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I’d be shopping for Dan Wesson’s or Kimbers (70 style , no firing pin block)

Kimber CDP, Tactical

DW Valor , Pointman

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have Range Officer, like it.
Only real complaint is the flat black sights.
I don't shoot paper, i ehoot at stuff.
And my eyes struggle against some targets or backgrounds.
Fixable, but it's just a toy.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
If I was dumb enough to want a 1911 I'd get Springfield's Ronin.

Why that model?

MM

The newer Springfields I've been around ran really well and it comes in 9mm and it doesn't have a rail and it's about the limit I'd pay for a 1911 that I wanted to shoot a bunch.

Uh-huh.................that model is no better or worse than a dozen other current production 1911's. But it is good. And I like it. But it's not "better".

YMMV

MM

I never claimed it was better.

I was telling my friend which one I would buy.

I see.

MM

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I only bought (and still own) three 1911 pistols. Two are NIB (Collector Items) and the other . . .
I shoot occasionally (but very well) and like everything about it - t wouldn't change a thing.

<> https://picturearchive.gunauction.com/1912728/11305756/4.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg <>

~ Springfield Armory 1911 A-1 GI

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have 7 1911’s, I know many have way more and way better than mine. But I’ll tell you what I know.
Two Colt goldcups, one a trophy and one a series 70. Both rattle and both shoot better then I can. Feed everything/eject everything.
Colt XSE Commander LT. Tight and a good shooter. No complaints.
Colt Gov. Model S.S. Rattler, been shot a bunch. No feed problems ore ejection. Accuracy = if I hit you your probably not getting up. Though I did my own trigger job on it and it’s much better.
Ruger Commander LT. With thin grips. Tight, great shooter.
Kimber Pro HD. Tight gun, ejection problems and feeding problems. Try everything decided to take it to a gunsmith.
It has a loose ejector and a out of adjustment extractor. I bought it used though and the extractor had been filed on. But I don’t think it had been fired much. 8rnd mags are stiff.
Kimber TLE Ultra. Tight, good carry gun. Accuracy is nothing to brag about but it’ll get the job done. No feeding problems or ejection problems.
Now I had an 8th 1911 that I sold when I bought the light weight. A Ruger commander steel frame. The thing jammed with everything, All kinds of failed to feeds.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by HeavyLoad; 04/17/21.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Std gi sights and my eyes don't work in any low light conditions very well and the day I picked up that Springfield Gov't model with the white 3 dot sights I knew what I needed on the spot. Dead reliable to boot. Load ammo shoot the hell out of it, all good. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by TWR
I’m trying to avoid a Dan Wesson but right now, I think it’s the best deal out there for a quality gun.

Do not resist young man, they are a hell of a well built 1911, my DW 10mm will never be for sale as long as i'm drawing air., 11 rounds on board with 3 skinny 10 round Tripp mags in a rear pocket and you're set for about anything one can run into in the woods.

Dan Wesson's reputation is excellent.

Yessir, not saying much, but you'd need to find a better shooter than me to find difference in my DW vs Les Baer, if that front sight is where it's supposed to be when the trigger breaks those two will put the bullets in there every time.

I was on the edge and couldn’t find one to dare me but then I started down another rabbit trail with revolvers. Spent too much but bought what I could and glad I did. Everything is too high right now if you can even find something worth buying. One day I’ll pick one up and jump in with both feet.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I see.

MM

Did I stub my toe on your kghunt or something?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nah, but since you're not a 1911 fan, I was just wondering why you were picking the Ronin over all the other equivalent versions.

But of course you're entitled to your opinion & the Ronin is a nice pistol at a good price point, but just more or less the same as numerous other except for the name.

Do you have one?

MM

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Nah, but since you're not a 1911 fan, I was just wondering why you were picking the Ronin over all the other equivalent versions.

But of course you're entitled to your opinion & the Ronin is a nice pistol at a good price point, but just more or less the same as numerous other except for the name.

Do you have one?

MM

Now you can't read.

Great.

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Flip it to a 9 and go STI 2011 Staccato.

Go *Duo* if you want to add a optic.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Do you have one?

MM

Now you can't read.

Great.

So, you don't like them, don't have one, but recommend one that's the same as a dozen others...............Ok, I got it now.

But the Ronin is a nice gun, catchy name too.

Thanks for the guidance & input in case I want to buy one. Gruff could do worse as well.

MM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
I have 7 1911’s, I know many have way more and way better than mine. But I’ll tell you what I know.
Two Colt goldcups, one a trophy and one a series 70. Both rattle and both shoot better then I can. Feed everything/eject everything.
Colt XSE Commander LT. Tight and a good shooter. No complaints.
Colt Gov. Model S.S. Rattler, been shot a bunch. No feed problems ore ejection. Accuracy = if I hit you your probably not getting up. Though I did my own trigger job on it and it’s much better.
Ruger Commander LT. With thin grips. Tight, great shooter.
Kimber Pro HD. Tight gun, ejection problems and feeding problems. Try everything decided to take it to a gunsmith.
It has a loose ejector and a out of adjustment extractor. I bought it used though and the extractor had been filed on. But I don’t think it had been fired much. 8rnd mags are stiff.
Kimber TLE Ultra. Tight, good carry gun. Accuracy is nothing to brag about but it’ll get the job done. No feeding problems or ejection problems.
Now I had an 8th 1911 that I sold when I bought the light weight. A Ruger commander steel frame. The thing jammed with everything, All kinds of failed to feeds.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You ever have trouble with the sights on your Gold Cups? I had a Gold Cup, lost the front sight during a match. At some point in a string of fire it hit eject and disappeared over my shoulder. At another match the hollow roll pin in the rear sight broke. That lets the leg of the sight jack up in the air at about a 30* angle. Aggravating son of a gun.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pops had a stainless GC that tossed front sights and had the rear go to hell more than once. Shot good when things stayed in place.

Bought a SIG target and after a while sold the GC.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
that's the same as a dozen others...............Ok, I got it now.

Thanks for the guidance & input in case I want to buy one. Gruff could do worse as well.

MM

Good luck with your kghunt.

IKE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I currently own three 5" stainless 45ACP 1911's and probably run 200 rounds through each monthly of my 230 gr. jacketed hard ball ammo loaded with 5.2 grs. W231.

They are still factory stock, they've been trouble free and all three are accurate enough to keep rounds on the 8" and 6" gongs at 25 yds. which is all I require of them.

SA Mil-Spec......S&W 'E' Series.......Ruger SR1911.

I haven't checked recently but they are not extremely expensive and all three can probably still be had for around $700.00 or so OTD.

I wouldn't want to give any of them up but if I had to pick just one I'd probably go with the S&W 'E' Series.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I know Gruff is going to tell me he will never sell it, but I have found the Colt's and Springfield's to be the easiest to liquidate and get a decent return on your money.

Assuming a regular market.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

MM

It's the Japanese word for a rogue or freelance Samurai.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (1badf350, 09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,634 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,603
Posts18,398,309
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.