Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Unless one of you boys have a Homelite 8-29 (as far as I know the biggest saw ever built, frequently seen with a 87 inch bar for ripping redwood etc) Roundoak hereby nominated "Bull Buck" for the Manly Man Sidehill Gouger Society. For those of you pilgrims in Ioway what ain't seen big timber, the Mac SP 125 makes full grown redwoods quake in terror. The Sierra Club did a study, and a 6 hour day with a Mac 125 burns so much mix it causes the Pacific Ocean to rise 2 inches. Which the Sierra Club don't like, but clams do.

They were rated for a 60” bar

I got ported saw only 7ccs smaller.
And another 8 ccs larger. Also ported.
Lol
And they vibrate way too much

BP-B2

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
The power sharpeners are fine for the guy cutting firewood next to his house, or the cutter who uses his saw less than 4 hours a year. The downside is once you use them on your chain you have to keep using them. A file will give you way more life in your chain and easier to touch up every time you fill up.

Interesting point as to the original post. I'll stick with the little plate to slap on and file them down but good to know!

I cut some 70+ km from my house and take a half dozen chains and two bars with me, each time I refuel I drop on another chain and change the bar over as it saves getting fingers hot and keeps my chains in good order.
I cut black box and river gum which has a lot of dirt in it from white-ants...I don't piss about with chains and files as I am not interested in sitting about touching up chains instead of cutting.

Eight to ten loads gets us through winter, the fire will be lit in another week and it will go out around September/October.

Oh...and I am down to an even dozen chains for the 372 and a half dozen for the 455...both are 3/8 .058...seems to work for me.

Last edited by JSTUART; 04/17/21.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
JSTUART those termite pipes surely blunt a chain in no time at all! When I used to get firewood they were the bane of my existence. Used to borrow a farm chainsaw, even bought a sharpening kit for it, the farmers seem to use it without ever sharpening......

J
JSTUART Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by rockdoc
JSTUART those termite pipes surely blunt a chain in no time at all! When I used to get firewood they were the bane of my existence. Used to borrow a farm chainsaw, even bought a sharpening kit for it, the farmers seem to use it without ever sharpening......

Hello Rocdoc, a bit like the fellows at work, they all just wander in and grab a saw and to a man feel compelled to use the damned file to screw things up...cockies...council workers...same diff.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The file o plate is exactly the name I was trying to think of Tim. They would fit right in your front pocket.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
The power sharpeners are fine for the guy cutting firewood next to his house, or the cutter who uses his saw less than 4 hours a year. The downside is once you use them on your chain you have to keep using them. A file will give you way more life in your chain and easier to touch up every time you fill up.

Interesting point as to the original post. I'll stick with the little plate to slap on and file them down but good to know!

I cut some 70+ km from my house and take a half dozen chains and two bars with me, each time I refuel I drop on another chain and change the bar over as it saves getting fingers hot and keeps my chains in good order.
I cut black box and river gum which has a lot of dirt in it from white-ants...I don't piss about with chains and files as I am not interested in sitting about touching up chains instead of cutting.

Eight to ten loads gets us through winter, the fire will be lit in another week and it will go out around September/October.

Oh...and I am down to an even dozen chains for the 372 and a half dozen for the 455...both are 3/8 .058...seems to work for me.

You light the fire in April and it goes out in September? Where are you, Australia?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Wear chaps too! And a damn helmet/facemask

Best advice you can get!

NRA Endowment Member
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I use a little $30 Harbor Freight grinder to sharpen my chains. It works good, but technique is everything.

I set the stops on the grinder where it only dusts off the cutting edge of each tooth. Also, I file down the rakers the first time I sharpen the chain. In my opinion, the rakers are too high on the chains sold today. After taking a 16th of an inch off the rakers, the chain teeth take a deeper bite and results in a faster, cleaner cut.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Amazxing the crap you pick up on this site.
Can't imagine buzzing through a nice log and hitting a freaking
clay tube. That would put the Kibosh to things.

What do you do then?
I assume the thing would run up the trunk aways?
Just keep cutting?
Or abandon the log?

Do you run round chain or chisle

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have a couple- maybe 3? - of the File-N-Joint jigs. They work so well (and I don't do that much cutting), that I've never found the need for anything else for the last 50 years.- One goes in each chainsaw case that I am using. I have the flat raker guides too.

Freehand filing in the field will ef up a chain in a hurry- seen it many times, so I don't even try, myself. That Stihl devise looks like it may work for touchup if used with care, but I'd still use a decent jig- guide before starting each day, to reset the cutters accurately. Nearly everyone rocks the file on the stroke without a jig or clamp-on guide.

Working trail crew for the USFS back in late 60's and early 70's, I noticed people ( including myself) got a lot more careless with cutting tools when wearing chaps, be it with chainsaws axes, or brushing tools. I've never owned a pair for myself since then - when we were required to wear them (if the boss was looking). Nicked a couple boots over the decades, but that's it.

We had a couple "fire-safe" guys thin out our yard trees last year on their off-days, for additional $. Both had been "trained" on how to field sharpen chainsaws every fill-up. By noon both were claiming I needed new chains on both saws. They WERE new the day before.... including one of the saws. After that, I did it myself with the File-N-Joints

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
McCulloch . . .

When ya rather be pullin and CUSSIN than cuttin!

Course I haven't run a chainsaw seriously since the Homelite 66 days.

Last edited by LouisB; 04/18/21.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm going to the stihl shop this week for mower blades and will be checking out the 2n1. Is the holder itself 1 size for all just add your file for saw you're using?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Amazxing the crap you pick up on this site.
Can't imagine buzzing through a nice log and hitting a freaking
clay tube. That would put the Kibosh to things.

What do you do then?
I assume the thing would run up the trunk aways?
Just keep cutting?
Or abandon the log?

Do you run round chain or chisle

Just keep cutting and keep sharpening, pipe runs up a fair way. Timber in some places is hard to get to be too fussy 😩

Was funny for the kids if you holed into a bee hive!

Not sure what you mean by run round chain or chisel?

Last edited by rockdoc; 04/19/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
Originally Posted by FishinHank
Wear chaps too! And a damn helmet/facemask

I got 38 stitches in my left thigh, that says you are right. Stihl 039
What a bloody mess. Ruined my pants too.

That sounds like where I would have been a couple times if not for the chaps. S**T happens!

Worse, I was solo in the woods when both incidents happened, and figure I might have bled out before getting to help.

An outstanding investment.

Last edited by Blu_Cs; 04/19/21.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]home cooked food restaurants

The semi chisel is what we call round, it holds up better
than chisel, but doesn't cut as well.

The flat ground cuts better than normal chisel, but dulls even faster.
At least that's my understanding on flat ground. It's common around here,
more a western thing, where I'm guessing they use it on cleaner wood.
Would like to try it, but supposedly it's hard to hand file and the jigs
don't work for it. Need to order a loop and give it a whirl, just to see.
Be my luck to hit something right out of the box, and still not get to
run it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I ground all my chains like your square pic, there's an art to it. The guy I bucked logs behind starting out in the woods filed his and my chains square before I bought a grinder, his hand filing was a thing of beauty OMG did they cut.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone use the timberline? 30 secondsto set up, 3 spins a tooth.....and you can't get a better finish.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Holy crap. Learn how to use a file already. Its not that hard.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
That gizmo must be designed for Forest Service employees.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
OK- which one of you guys put a curse on me yesterday?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I'd also ask "What are the chances?", but we all know that's nearly 100%. smile

Last edited by las; 04/19/21.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
103 members (10gaugeman, 338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 691 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.