Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Hydraulic method using oil and a lead slug with a wood dowel. The slug will seal at the muzzle easily. No different from slugging a bore with soft lead.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MOGC
Just for clarity... Are you saying somebody on the Fire had a cartridge stuck in the bore, put a rod down the muzzle end of the bore to tap/push the cartridge rearward out of the chamber, tapped the rod against the bullet to jar the round loose and ignited the primer?

My friend Johns 300 Salvage. We determined he needs small base dies for this rifle.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I repaired the stock and got it back to him a a few months ago.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
He set it off in his living room and never found most of the brass case.

LOL
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Jesus Christ.

He musta really given that ramrod the ol' heeve-hoe.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I have a 30" brass dowel 1/4" diameter that works perfect. AIH for not to much I recollect .

I tend to use more than enough gun
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MPat70
I had case head separation today and got the case stuck in the chamber. I pushed an ear plug down the case and used plastic epoxy to fill the case. Once it hardened I just used my cleaning rod to tap it out. Easy.

I have a section of fifty cal cleaning rod welded to an ez out for just that eventuality.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I recall some story (40 years ago now) of a benchrest shooter getting a live round stuck and removing the bolt and tapping the catridge back out using a cleaning rod done the muzzle. The round detonated as it was ejected (how?) and a piece of thr brass hit his nearby wife in the chest causing a fatal injury. I thought this happened over here but don't have any details.

When I was experimenting with cast loads in my 458 I ran into an issue where the powder didn't ignite and the primer blew the projectile into the start if the rifling. It was surprisingly hard to remove and I ended up breaking and wedging a wooden dowel in the barrel. I had a gunsmith remove bullet and dowel for me - he melted out the projectile and then the dowel was knocked out.

I now have a steel rod with a 9mm case jammed on the end as a ramrod but haven't had to use it. Lesson learned was even medium powders are too slow for cast and ignition gets weird - hangfires are a warning sign.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jnyork
Set the rifle upright and pour some Kroil down the bore. Let it set overnight. THEN, put the rod down the bore and give it a little tap, should come right out..

There it is.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I recall some story (40 years ago now) of a benchrest shooter getting a live round stuck and removing the bolt and tapping the catridge back out using a cleaning rod done the muzzle. The round detonated as it was ejected (how?) and a piece of thr brass hit his nearby wife in the chest causing a fatal injury. I thought this happened over here but don't have any details.

When I was experimenting with cast loads in my 458 I ran into an issue where the powder didn't ignite and the primer blew the projectile into the start if the rifling. It was surprisingly hard to remove and I ended up breaking and wedging a wooden dowel in the barrel. I had a gunsmith remove bullet and dowel for me - he melted out the projectile and then the dowel was knocked out.

I now have a steel rod with a 9mm case jammed on the end as a ramrod but haven't had to use it. Lesson learned was even medium powders are too slow for cast and ignition gets weird - hangfires are a warning sign.

That bench rest story sounds like the one that happened in St. Louis Missouri at the super shoot. The case hit the wife in the heart and she died right there. I wasn’t there so I didn’t witness it but I know 2 guys that did. Wife stayed behind the rifle when the husband removed the bolt. He went to tap it out and it went off and launched the cleaning rod out of his hand. Everyone went to laughing because they thought no one got hurt then his wife discovered she had been hit in the chest. I know it doesn’t sound plausible but it happened some how. It might be why all the bench rest shooters quit neck sizing and started setting their shoulders back .002!!!

I asked for more information about this incident on another forum and a guy posted this link. Sound like it has happened more than once. https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?62124-Stuck-live-cartridge/page2

Last edited by MadDog4298; 04/18/21.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
sell it outside a gunshow

#borelightsareforsissies

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
M
mjbgalt Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Mystery solved. I resized all the brass after finding that a few more were very tight in the chamber.

Turns out a few in the mix were once fired, not new...primer pockets dirty, showing use.

Just a case of a rifle with a bigger chamber firing them and they got mixed in with a batch for a rifle with a smaller chamber.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

121 members (406_SBC, 444Matt, 450yukon, 257_X_50, 19rabbit52, 270winchester, 18 invisible), 1,935 guests, and 806 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,173
Posts18,465,380
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.