Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mirage243
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Spray and no till drill your seed until the roots die and decay.

I'm betting dude don't own a no till drill.

If he can get his hands on an offset disc he can get his hands on a notill drill. No one should be plowing or working up ground in this day and age when we know so much more about what works and what doesn't. Please feel free to pm me if you want more specific info. Tillage is horrible for your soil,a notill drill will skip over or cut through roots.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

If he can get his hands on an offset disc he can get his hands on a notill drill. No one should be plowing or working up ground in this day and age when we know so much more about what works and what doesn't. Please feel free to pm me if you want more specific info. Tillage is horrible for your soil,a notill drill will skip over or cut through roots.

Lol . . . . .I have a 7' on one farm, and a 10' on the other. Go back a couple of weeks and read my Easter morning post. You midwest boys think you'te the only ones that know anything about farming.😁😁

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

Lol . . . . .I have a 7' on one farm, and a 10' on the other. Go back a couple of weeks and read my Easter morning post. You midwest boys think you'te the only ones that know anything about farming.😁😁

LOL, because you have 2 then everyone must have them? Thats some interesting reasoning there!
Notill drills are easily rented and can be roaded with a pickup to where they are needed, done it many times.

It's not that we think we are the only ones who know about farming, we've just stayed up on the newest developments and information that tells us how to do it better. if we ignored the last 30+ years of agriculture advancement then we too could still be farming like that, heck some people still do. it is hard to convert from conventional tillage to a notill system, and it takes a few years to see the benefit because so much damage is done to the soil by tillage. it's like with irrigation, people can still irrigate like they did a thousand years ago, but a center pivot is much more efficient and precise. the old way will work, just not nearly as well. there's too much info out there about notill, crop rotation and cover crops etc to keep ones head in the sand. I live in a county where 90%+ of the producers are notill and the yields have increased by huge margins and erosion has plummeted. fewer passes in the field and less herbicide required. the added benefits of keeping valuable nutrients also cuts down on fertilizer costs and other perticide inputs that are often required for soil that is in poor health.

here's a video demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEecN7nA-js

There are a ton more on youtube showing similar.

question : Ever notice what implements and methods road crews use to make the soil compactable?

spoiler, the same as conventional tillage

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
CBB, are you planning to drill in corn? Never seen that done before.

'twere it me, I would smooth out the piles you made best as I could. Burn down the field, spread a light amount of fertilizer, and no till plant my corn.

How many acres are you talking about here?

Last edited by muleshoe; 04/18/21.

Black Cows Matter!
C
CBB Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
It's just under an acre.

Called all the local offices.. no equipment for rent within a 4 hour drive one way and no telling if they would rent me the equipment anyway being as I'm not from their county.

Finally found a guy with some gear. He came up with a ripper.. thats what he called it. If there's another name for it idk..

He ripped the plot and brought his own tiller and tilled it. I had 3 very large piles of topsoil and roots to move. Got most of that out of the way. The dirt is ready to plant except for where I ran over it with the tractor moving the scraps with the bucket. Which I will till back up.

I will spread the dirt and roots back over the when the roots decay in a year or 3.

Nope it ain't great I lost that much topsoil with the roots. But I have a workable field to plant. It is what it is. Just feeding deer for fun.

Hunt...
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by CBB
It's just under an acre.

Called all the local offices.. no equipment for rent within a 4 hour drive one way and no telling if they would rent me the equipment anyway being as I'm not from their county.

Finally found a guy with some gear. He came up with a ripper.. thats what he called it. If there's another name for it idk..

He ripped the plot and brought his own tiller and tilled it. I had 3 very large piles of topsoil and roots to move. Got most of that out of the way. The dirt is ready to plant except for where I ran over it with the tractor moving the scraps with the bucket. Which I will till back up.

I will spread the dirt and roots back over the when the roots decay in a year or 3.

Nope it ain't great I lost that much topsoil with the roots. But I have a workable field to plant. It is what it is. Just feeding deer for fun.

Keep us posted on the results of your planting growth.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,233
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.