Print Thread
Hop To
#16002174 04/17/21
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
which do you choose? front/rear bag with front adjustable rest, or something like a lead sled?

edit: i posted this in the wrong subforum

Last edited by gitem_12; 04/17/21.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a set up like this
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by baldhunter; 04/17/21.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I use a Bald Eagle base with a Shadetree Engineering coaxial rest top.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Never a Lead Sled unless you are interested in what your rifle does strapped to a piece of chit.. . laugh

Have had this modified Bald Eagle (Chinky Grizzly) for a few years. I think I actually shoot better using sand bags.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
John I just bought one at Sprtsman Warehouse made( or marketed) by Primos. $79.99

I like it the best of the current crop, even though its not expensive.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I've got a set of Caldwell front and rear nylon bags, a Caldwell adjustable front rest {forget what it's called} and a set of leather sandbags that I can't remember the brand.. The leather bags are definitely the best for shooting off the hood of my Jeep.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Never a Lead Sled unless you are interested in what your rifle does strapped to a piece of chit.. . laugh

Have had this modified Bald Eagle (Chinky Grizzly) for a few years. I think I actually shoot better using sand bags.

I could not agree with you more about the Lead sled !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gotta disagree about the Bald Eagle rest they are pretty good for the money, it might be your set up is off a bit from the picture............I'd tear the worthless material off the cement bench and put some feet on the rest, if you still have your sling stud in it would be recoiling into the bag, rear bag doesn't look like the best fit either.............

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Tag

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I shoot factory ammo so it is pretty easy to get good zero off a sandbag and a sock full of dried peas for a rear rest. I only use the bench for zeroing. If no bench is available I will confirm my zero off a pack from prone w/ the same rear bag.

In case of an emergency I can make soup.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by boatanchor
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I could not agree with you more about the Lead sled !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gotta disagree about the Bald Eagle rest they are pretty good for the money, it might be your set up is off a bit from the picture............I'd tear the worthless material off the cement bench and put some feet on the rest, if you still have your sling stud in it would be recoiling into the bag, rear bag doesn't look like the best fit either.............

Don't know what the fuuck you are talking about. I had nothing negative to say about the Bald Eagle, it's great kit. This particular photo is from a location that has targets down slope... I use the rest with about two dozen different rifles in multiple locations.

Bald Eagle Y.
https://www.grizzly.com/products/bald-eagle-y-rest-cast-iron/be1006

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I use a rock BR and a caldwell medium rear bag. No issues for me

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
So many front rests work very well. The thing that is more important than the front rest is the size of the front bag that straps to the front rest. Look at the Protektor models. They have different sizes, from a #1 (small) to a #3 (large) and then square sided ones from 2" to 6". As long as the front rest is of adequate quality (made of metal and not plastic), then they are all more similar than not. Find a front bag size that fits your rifle the best. Most lightweights like the #1, sporter's like the #2 and real heavy benchrest type rifles with the wide forend like the #3 and bigger. It also helps to place the rifle in the front rest in the right spot. Not right out on the tip of the forend, like some pictured in this thread. Try putting the rifle on the rest so the front action screw is just aft of the bag. See pictures below:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In this pic, I was testing my SKS with different sizes of front bags. It preferred the slightly wider bag on that rest. My Tikka's like the other rest better (blue front rest in picture, made by Hoppes and is aluminum).

Here's another good example of where to set your rifle in the front rest:
I don't f around with chitty rests or equipment. If it doesn't work, it goes in the trashcan. This particular 52B shoots like this, on that day and every day:

Here's a "lightweight" rifle on the rest and the groups it shoots:

You often hear about guys struggling to shoot lightweight rifles and then you see pictures of how they are set up on the bags or rests and then you say, ok...

Even AR's can sit in a good front rest bag and shoot well..

Another lightweight rifle. Tikka superlite:

And no, a front rest does not need a gearshifter and v8 engine to work well.. Just sayin..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Jesus Christ.. oh I know I just offended a few sheep!! But god damn, (more than a few sheep) haha, I’m glad I just go shoot a 200 yard gong and go kill shiit!! Haha 😂😂 BSA peel your no killin ass off the bench and go hunt!! You gotta be bacon throats big brother!! Hit the Google dummy!!! Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It still cracks me up that the Paper Tiger takes/posts pics ad nauseam of rifles on benches and targets, but says he never thinks to take pics of dead critters. The claim that posting dead animal pics is just bragging was a hoot too. WTH is the ad nauseam target pics?

Originally Posted by Judman
Jesus Christ.. oh I know I just offended a few sheep!! But god damn, (more than a few sheep) haha, I’m glad I just go shoot a 200 yard gong and go kill shiit!! Haha 😂😂 BSA peel your no killin ass off the bench and go hunt!! You gotta be bacon throats big brother!! Hit the Google dummy!!! Haha

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A good quality rest (along with a couple of decent wind flags) is one of the first things a person that really wants to evaluate their guns should buy.

PERIOD!

I've had this Hart/Sinclair rest since the mid '90's. With the various tops and bags I have, it works well for my hunting rifles and competition Benchrest guns. If you get a top with the 3" fore end bag, Hart makes the excellent Accuracy Asset that screws to the fore end sling stud and makes a sporter gun as stable in the front rest as a BR gun.

For the 3" fore end Benchrest rigs, my Farley coaxial with Butch Lambert's Shadetree Engineering tune up pieces was the best.

Forbidden Zoner
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ingwe
John I just bought one at Sprtsman Warehouse made( or marketed) by Primos. $79.99

I like it the best of the current crop, even though its not expensive.

Tom, is that the "Group Therapy rest? if so it looks interesting. have you used it yet?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I can shoot sub MOA off the hood of my Jeep with sand bags. Plenty good enough for my hunting purposes. Shooting endless holes in paper bores the shyt out of me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Wichita used it for years.

Coyotes shot no waiting.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 16penny, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 47 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,514
Posts18,452,673
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.