24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Reminds me of barrel break in ideas lol. Mine is over 100,000 miles on 10 changes now. Runs great. My 4runner is due for its 10K change here shortly. Its at 60,000.

GB2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
10K interval on my 2008 Tacoma since new. Doesn't use any oil in between changes. 230K miles. Mobil1 oil and filter.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On todays computer controlled engines, 10K is perfectly fine. There are many variables that go into determining your interval. Sump capacity is the biggest, also driving environment. If your sump holds 3.5 gallons, then you can go longer before your oil in contaminated. Oil doesn't "breakdown" or lose lubricating properties. Oil gets contaminated which can compromise it's lubricating properties. If you can keep it clean, you can run oil for 200K miles. How do you know if it is clean?? Not by looking at it, but by a lab doing an analysis on it. The cost of the analysis is about $35, so most people just change the oil, never knowing if it has silicon (dirt), fuel dilution, soot, coolant or other contaminants in it.
Once when I was bored to tears, I read how Detroit Diesel came up with a 15,000 change interval for their Series 60 engine. They put it under 100% load for 50% of the time and idled it for 50% of the time. Idling is not good for a diesel engine, and you have to go downhill sometime!!! My idle time is about 15% in winter and 7% in summer - I don't idle my truck. It is not at a 100% load all the time, I do go down hills too. I pull a sample at 15K and send it in. If it is good I keep going. I do change the filters at 30K as I have no way to tell if they are getting clogged. Because my engine has some age on it and a performance tune, I usually only get 45K-60K out of my oil. When I only had 200K - 400K on the engine, I once went for 186K on the same oil. The analysis came back good, but I changed it anyway.
All this means is that if everything is good, 10K is not a big deal in a gas 4L-7L engine. What it doesn't mean is that it will always be good. If you are sucking in unfiltered air and don't know it. You are doing damage going to 10K. If your headgasket is starting to fail and coolant is contaminating your oil, a 2K oil change interval isn't enough to keep damage from happening. If you have a performance chip and one of your injectors is starting to drip, in 3K your oil could be diluted enough that the viscosity is down to 2 or 3 weight oil!! All of the above problems can be detected on an oil analysis before major damage happens. Currently my Series 60 is producing 2.3% soot at 15,000 miles (over 2% is an issue). It could be the performance tune combined with a weak injector - which is an expensive fix. Or it could be the valves slightly out of adjustment. I will run the overhead and look at the next analysis. If it goes down or is only slightly higher - problem solved. If it is around 5% then it is time to change the oil and correct the problem (more than likely an injector).
I don't recommend you do an analysis on your Toyota every 10K, but I would certainly do one every 25K. Amsoil sells kits, Caterpillar has kits and Horizon labs can get you kits. All are good labs. Avoid benchtop instant analysis at a truck lube or truck stop. Bad information is worse than no information.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Modern engines, modern oils. 10K is fine. If you have doubts, Blackstone.
Oil and engines have come a long way since the 60s, but, Daddy did it every 3K back then, so...

I don't mind wasting money, but I'd rather waste it on a good steak.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
True that my 3K oil changing mentality is coming out of the "76 F-150 carburetor engine '70's when I did send in my 10,000 mile oil Amsoil in for an oil analysis and it came back as 10% fuel dilution, a totally depleted lubrication package with metal particles and with a note to get rid of it ASAP. Never again Amsoil and never again 10K oil changes. Early Mobil 1 in my Saab 99 I figured didn't lubricate the turbo seals and two turbos later never again Mobil 1 either. Then I'm remembering a phone call from one of our East coast sales guys who was taking his company car in for a new engine rebuild after he had been "saving time" on oil changes by running his oil 25,000 miles.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Windfall
"10,000 mile oil change interval" written by the same company that wants to sell you another new vehicle.

How many people do you know that have ever worn out a Toyota engine?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Engine problems are more rare nowadays than ever before, no matter the make.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Almost all modern engines are gasoline direct injected (GDI) and a lot of them are turbocharged. Honda CRV 1.5L is a good example, so are Ford Ecoboost engines. These engines are well known for fuel contamination in the oil, especially when driven for short trips where the engine doesn't get fully warmed up. Over a 10,000 mile interval you could easily end up with a quart or more of gasoline in your crankcase. Personally, I would never exceed 5,000 miles on any GDI turbo engine. Smell the oil on one sometime.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Engine problems are more rare nowadays than ever before, no matter the make.
Back in the 70's and before, an engine was pretty well worn out at 100k.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
back in the day, 100,00 miles was about time to start putting some STP in the engine oil. Or at least that's what my dad did. Sure got rid of any ticking coming from the engine.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
10K is easier than ever. The quality of oil now, plus much tighter tolerances on engine builds allows it.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TRnCO
back in the day, 100,00 miles was about time to start putting some STP in the engine oil. Or at least that's what my dad did. Sure got rid of any ticking coming from the engine.

Yeah. You pull the valve covers on an engine in the 70s with 100K on it that had oil changed ever 3K and the sludge and build up was impressive. Pull the valve covers on an engine today with 100K that had 10K oil changes with synthetic and it's night and day difference. People aren't wearing out engines.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
My new Dodge is 10,000 miles. I change my 2004 every 4000 miles, probably over kill. I change my 89 jeep every 3000 miles.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Cowboybart
On todays computer controlled engines, 10K is perfectly fine. There are many variables that go into determining your interval. Sump capacity is the biggest, also driving environment. If your sump holds 3.5 gallons, then you can go longer before your oil in contaminated. Oil doesn't "breakdown" or lose lubricating properties. Oil gets contaminated which can compromise it's lubricating properties. If you can keep it clean, you can run oil for 200K miles. How do you know if it is clean?? Not by looking at it, but by a lab doing an analysis on it. The cost of the analysis is about $35, so most people just change the oil, never knowing if it has silicon (dirt), fuel dilution, soot, coolant or other contaminants in it.
Once when I was bored to tears, I read how Detroit Diesel came up with a 15,000 change interval for their Series 60 engine. They put it under 100% load for 50% of the time and idled it for 50% of the time. Idling is not good for a diesel engine, and you have to go downhill sometime!!! My idle time is about 15% in winter and 7% in summer - I don't idle my truck. It is not at a 100% load all the time, I do go down hills too. I pull a sample at 15K and send it in. If it is good I keep going. I do change the filters at 30K as I have no way to tell if they are getting clogged. Because my engine has some age on it and a performance tune, I usually only get 45K-60K out of my oil. When I only had 200K - 400K on the engine, I once went for 186K on the same oil. The analysis came back good, but I changed it anyway.
All this means is that if everything is good, 10K is not a big deal in a gas 4L-7L engine. What it doesn't mean is that it will always be good. If you are sucking in unfiltered air and don't know it. You are doing damage going to 10K. If your headgasket is starting to fail and coolant is contaminating your oil, a 2K oil change interval isn't enough to keep damage from happening. If you have a performance chip and one of your injectors is starting to drip, in 3K your oil could be diluted enough that the viscosity is down to 2 or 3 weight oil!! All of the above problems can be detected on an oil analysis before major damage happens. Currently my Series 60 is producing 2.3% soot at 15,000 miles (over 2% is an issue). It could be the performance tune combined with a weak injector - which is an expensive fix. Or it could be the valves slightly out of adjustment. I will run the overhead and look at the next analysis. If it goes down or is only slightly higher - problem solved. If it is around 5% then it is time to change the oil and correct the problem (more than likely an injector).
I don't recommend you do an analysis on your Toyota every 10K, but I would certainly do one every 25K. Amsoil sells kits, Caterpillar has kits and Horizon labs can get you kits. All are good labs. Avoid benchtop instant analysis at a truck lube or truck stop. Bad information is worse than no information.

Like this man said. If your engine is leaking air, gas or anti freeze, you will need to change it every 1000 miles. If your engine is right, you can go a long ways before an oil change. I have gone 46K and then 39K between oil changes with Amsoil , filter every 15K anf oil test every 15K. The oil always came back good , even after 46K. I did this 10 yrs ago and still have the engine with 282,000 mi. and it burns about 1qt per 10,000 mi. I dont use Amsoil anymore cause Shell Rotella T6 is everywhere and its $40 for a 10 qt. jug on super sale. Now I chenge about every 12,000 mi. but I am going to get an oil test after 10K . Not to see if the oil is good, but to see if I am leaking diesel, anti freeze or dirty air.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Because my idiot light say "change oil", my 2019 Duramx gets changed at about 3000 miles.Not doing so,voids my 100K warranty. Plus it's free

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Because my idiot light say "change oil", my 2019 Duramx gets changed at about 3000 miles.Not doing so,voids my 100K warranty. Plus it's free

The duramax only gets 3000 miles before the change oil is advised??? Wow. Even the "severe service" interval on most modern diesels is more than twice that long. You might want to get the idiot light checked

Last edited by tx270; 04/20/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 2011 D-max would get almost 10k between oil changes going off of the OLM.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by tx270
Originally Posted by saddlesore

The duramax only gets 3000 miles before the change oil is advised??? Wow. Even the "severe service" interval on most modern diesels is more than twice that long. You might want to get the idiot light checked

It's the computer read out on the LCD.Doesn't bother me,I have the extended warranty and they are free.Clean oil has never been a detriment to any engine

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got a good laugh when I took my 2020 Silverado in for its first oil change which was complimentary, whoever changed the oil put the next oil change was due in 3K miles. I didn’t know my dad for father in-law (both mechanics) were still alive. Both of those men believed in 3K oil changes and they never met each other ever I their life.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Hudge
I got a good laugh when I took my 2020 Silverado in for its first oil change which was complimentary, whoever changed the oil put the next oil change was due in 3K miles. I didn’t know my dad for father in-law (both mechanics) were still alive. Both of those men believed in 3K oil changes and they never met each other ever I their life.

#policy
😉

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
267 members (1lessdog, 257 mag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 22 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,943
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.